Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:worship:

"He deserved to win all four Slams." Nadal in l'Equipe on the sporting event that made him cry: " I cried when Federer won Roland Garros in 2009. I was moved. He deserved to win this tournament one day after all the finals and semi-finals he'd played. He deserved to win all four Slams. And obviously I cried when Spain won the football World Cup in South Africa (he was there)."
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s21lrr

Other parts from interview (https://twitter.com/bluemathilde):

The day where he cried watching a movie : "always "
The day where Rafa was scared on a tennis court : RG 2012 final. Had lost the 3 previous GS final against Djoko, didn't want to lose 1 more.
The day you lied in a press conference : "I never lie, I just don't always say everything (smile)"
"That day wasn't fun." Rafa in l'Equipe on the day the centre court fans at RG wanted him to lose: That day (4th round against Söderling in 2009) wasn't agreeable. What wasn't agreeable was feeling people wanting you to lose in a place you love and have always loved more than anything. Because that's what happened that day. The crowd wasn't pulling for my opponent, they weren't cheering him on. They wanted me to lose. It's not the same. Do I understand why the crowd acted like that? It's part of sport. Sometimes people have enough of seeing the same people win. I hear them. I didn't say anything special about it at the press conference because I didn't think it was about me personally. It was more against what I represented. Me, I did nothing wrong (laughs). In any case, that day, what hurt me the most was losing. Not everything else around it. But I've accepted the loss. No problem. My relationship with the Roland-Garros crowd hasn't stopped getting better since. When I walk in the street, when I go to Disneyland, I feel liked in France.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s21m0d

"That will never stop!" Nadal on when Matosevic knocked over his water bottles accidentally in Monte Carlo: It was funny. I never thought for a second it would bother me. He did it, it was funny, no worries. Where do all my superstitions come from? Oh .... I started having my habits when I was really young. Why did I start? ... pfft ...I don't know. But the habits bug me. Yes, they bother me a bit. Could I play a match without the manias? Without some of them, yes. I could stop touching my nose and putting my hair behind my ears before serving. That's doable. Not arranging the bottles in front of my chairs, I could drop that. But tugging at my underwear (before every serve), that will never stop (laughs). Impossible. I couldn't.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s21lqk

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
It's so absurd that it just must be real and absolutely no fake.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's so absurd that it just must be real and absolutely no fake.
To be fair he said this in the summer of 09 too - interviewed in Mallorca post RG/Wimbledon and said he's watched the final and was really happy for Roger and moved watching it... He also said he always cries at movies so a bit of a crier clearly...

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
To be fair he said this in the summer of 09 too - interviewed in Mallorca post RG/Wimbledon and said he's watched the final and was really happy for Roger and moved watching it... He also said he always cries at movies so a bit of a crier clearly...
I understand but my comment wasn't irony. I really think he is honest here.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Rafa should start writing some cheap Spanish love novels.

I'm so touched with Rafa being touched, I feel like crying or maybe laughing. Not sure.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fed also cried when Nadal won the AO.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I dunno if I really believe him, but great champions are often weird people. Ayerton Senna could try to kill you on track, then run into your burning car trying to save you. It's very possible these are not lies...

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
He was happy because his archenemy Söderling didnt win it.

He never liked Soda and after notoriuous Wimbledon incident, he just hated him .Obviously he was pissed because Soda bitchslapped him in 4th round and played such an incredible precision- powertennis Nadal never can produce. To see mighty Swede fold like a cheap tent in final vs Fed was best thing he could hope, like a dream come true.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
He is humble

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
:facepalm: Rafa why did you say this....

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If he cried, it was because someone beat Soderling, whom he despises. You might as well say you cried because Roger won, since you need the French crowd on your side, who never warmed up to Nadal and who adore Federer (because they believe that he's really French).

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
:facepalm: Rafa why did you say this....
yeah, really foolish to say this. Even if he really did cry (which I believe coz even though he looks fierce and competitive on court, he looks timid and soft out of court), not many people would believe this and would again, call him fake.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
he loves roger, its pretty clear

1 - 20 of 131 Posts