Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
In the context of the Big 3, on the surface that sounds amazing, but is it?

Nadal is almost guaranteed 1 slam a year, so that takes him to ~25% just like that. Djokovic and Federer therefore only realistically have the opportunity to win the other 3 each year while also having to contend with Nadal and greater competition relative to the surface.

This doesn't necessarily belittle the stat and it's not Nadal's problem that he's a clay court god, but it's another angle to look at it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Nadal is almost guaranteed 1 slam a year, so that takes him to ~25% just like that.
Certainly, I don't care about that to be honest, but reading this, it must also be said that Nadal quickly withdraws when he does not feel too confident or physically ready to defend his chances outside RG.
And you don't need to have spent 30 years for that.

Djokovic played all slams from AO 2005 to US 2017 stop. (30 y)

And Federer, AO 2000 - RG 2016 (34)

·
Registered
517 Posts
In the context of the Big 3, on the surface that sounds amazing, but is it?

Nadal is almost guaranteed 1 slam a year, so that takes him to ~25% just like that. Djokovic and Federer therefore only realistically have the opportunity to win the other 3 each year while also having to contend with Nadal and greater competition relative to the surface.

This doesn't necessarily belittle the stat and it's not Nadal's problem that he's a clay court god, but it's another angle to look at it.
Silly argument. You make it sounds as if they are just giving him the title without playing. The reason he is "almost guaranteed 1 slam a year" is his greatness. And greatness is what we are talking about here right.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
why Rafa didn't enter USO 2012 still puzzles me to this day...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
anyway, Rafa has a clay skew which puts him behind Fed.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
wonder if there's any stat about his ratio at WTFs, tho.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Federer not won USO since 08.
That's something i don't get It. Why fed have been so bad at the USO for the last 10 years? Just one final. Rafa, a clay courter, acording to some, won 4 times there since fed last title. That stat i don't understand.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Federer is practically retired. It would be more accurate to compare the ratios when Jokdal about to retire.

Nadal has won 20 of 60 GS he has played= 33% ratio

Djokovic has won 17 of 62 GS= 27% ratio

Federer has won 20 of 79= 25% ratio

I think this can be an interesenting stat to measure greatness.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
But who has a better H2H between Nadal and Djokovic?

Djokovic leads 29-27 yet Nadal leads 10-6 in GS. Not sure If its a stat that favours Djokovic much!
If it's the slams that matter most in determining greatness--and this has been the measure when "they" called Fed GOAT prematurely over a decade ago--then the lead is the GS is more significant. Djok has won more BO3.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
That's something i don't get It. Why fed have been so bad at the USO for the last 10 years? Just one final. Rafa, a clay courter, acording to some, won 4 times there since fed last title. That stat i don't understand.
Because he dominated before Djok and Rafa really came of age 2004-2007. There is no greater example of Fed's weak era "acheivements" than this.
Also they slowed USO down at some point.
Fed didn't win Ao for how many years? Seven. Then they sped up the courts and he won in 2017.

Rafa is not a "clay courter" btw. He is the greatest of all time on clay, but an all court player.
You don't have 7 fucking slams off clay and be a clay courter.
YOu have absorbed to much bullshit on this site. But I'm happy to set you straight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts