Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
There is interview on GM about it when he did it in Spanish and it was kindly translated by a poster.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
There is interview on GM about it when he did it in Spanish and it was kindly translated by a poster.
I think it is new information. BBC sport are not lazy, if the story was out already they would have it and the only information to be found is that which the ticker says.

·
124,503 Posts
What Nadal is going to have his foot amputated. He has already said he has having problems with his body and that he can't run or train as much as he would like.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
BBC sports is not always that accurate either.

It's based on a rather recent Spanish interview with Toni.
http://www.diariodemallorca.es/secc...37__Deportes-Rafel-debe-aprender-vivir-lesion

That foot problem isn't new and it's not exactly breaking news that it's serious. He's been having foot worries since 2005 (and I think that it even dates back to 2004) but the solutions they came up with (the special insoles,...) have not had the desired effect, I think.

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
Toni and the Reuters news didn't say anything new from Rafa's interview to El Pais that GWH mentioned. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
What Nadal is going to have his foot amputated. He has already said he has having problems with his body and that he can't run or train as much as he would like.
:lol: Settle down.

·
124,503 Posts

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
It's very worrisome, indeed. I feel very sad to know that the guy has perhaps been playing with pain ever since 2005... :eek:

I hope he and his team will be able to take appropriate measures - orthopedic or whatever - and if those don't have the desired effects, please Raf - cut down on your insane (proposed) schedule! :hug:

·
124,503 Posts
It's very worrisome, indeed. I feel very sad to know that the guy has perhaps been playing with pain ever since 2005... :eek:
Spare me, sure he has had injury problems and his physical game style doesn't always help. But he has been able to play the sport he loves and win 3 Slams and TMS titles, this is a lot more than many players and at least he has had a career.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Spare me, sure he has had injury problems and his physical game style doesn't always help. But he has been able to play the sport he loves and win 3 Slams and TMS titles, this is a lot more than many players and at least he has had a career.
What you say is very true, and indeed, he's had a brilliant career so far - but that doesn't take away that it's very sad that Rafa may indeed be suffering quite a bit of pain while playing at such a very young age already.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
I think he has one more Roland Garross in him, but he has to shorten his schedule....

Sad, but in a way expected....

·
124,503 Posts
What you say is very true, and indeed, he's had a brilliant career so far - but that doesn't take away that it's very sad that Rafa may indeed be suffering quite a bit of pain while playing at such a very young age already.
Injuries are part of pro sport, some are luckier and smarter than others. When he has 2 shoulder operations, a stress fracture in his hand, a hip operation and foot problem. Then he could have torn both hamstrings, had 3 knee operations, then I might be more sympathetic.

With the way he plays, it's going to be hard for him to have a long career, enjoy what he has done.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7117076.stm

World number two Rafael Nadal's camp have moved to calm fears about his future after comments regarding a foot injury from his coach Toni Nadal.

Reports suggested the 21-year-old's career was in doubt after uncle Toni admitted: "It's very serious. I don't know (if it's career-threatening)."

But the Spaniard's spokesman Benito Perez-Barbadillo told BBC Sport: "This is nothing new and really serious.

"It's something he lives with. It's definitely not career-threatening."

Nadal's season ended with a 6-4 6-1 defeat by world number one Roger Federer at the Masters Cup in Shanghai on 17 November, although he has since played an exhibition match against Richard Gasquet.

"He's had a very successful year," said Perez-Barbadillo. "He was probably the guy who played the second-most number of matches and he wouldn't do that if it was a serious problem.

"Rafa is not happy with what came out. He arrived back from a holiday in Egypt today and he starts training tomorrow, and plays an exhibition in Malaga at the weekend."

The physical nature of Nadal's game has often taken its toll - he had to pull out of a Davis Cup tie in March and carried a knee injury throughout the US Open.

"He's been affected by an injury to his foot since 2005," said Toni Nadal. "He has to learn how to live with it and so far he has managed for two years."

He added: "We are pleased with the season just finished, with the injury and everything. His play has improved and the matches have been less intense.

"Roger Federer is a fully-rounded player; Rafael has a different style. The key factor has been to shorten the length of matches and we have achieved that.

"His problem is that he has to play to maintain his physical tone and fitness levels. There's no other way to do it than by competing."
Uncle Toni is in for it :scared:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Don't really know what to think of it, to be honest. An injury 'nothing new, nothing serious', but already there for two years...

And Tio Toni saying "His problem is that he has to play to maintain his physical tone and fitness levels. There's no other way to do it than by competing." :eek:

Am I the only one who finds this rather worrying? :shrug:

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Don't really know what to think of it, to be honest. An injury 'nothing new, nothing serious', but already there for two years...

And Tio Toni saying "His problem is that he has to play to maintain his physical tone and fitness levels. There's no other way to do it than by competing." :eek:

I think he was answering a question about why Nadal played Stuttgart after Wimbledon...

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
One hour ago in tve (spanish tv) Toni and Rafa have said that it isn't very serious... ;)

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts

But it's nothing new, Karin. The foot injury he suffered in 2005 is well documented. It was always a very serious injury - he didn't even know if he would be able to play again. It's worrying, but only in the same way it was worrying last week, last month, last year.

If he was so terribly physically comprimised I don't think he'd be playing in Malaga this weekend.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts