5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is he a great grasscourter?

or is he simply

Great at playing Federer?

·
Registered
21,225 Posts
Well that is interesting, ive thought of it many times and came to the conclusion he has gotten used to federers game, ever since he firt played him he has been able to cope with federers style, or it may be the other way round, federer cannot stand playing against nadal. Its definately a bad match up for federer.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Hmm. I'd say probably the latter, but that is in no way suggesting that Nadal's not a stellar grasscourter. I think Rafael is probably closer to being comfortable with Federer's style than he is to matching Federer's prowess and skill on the grass, however.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
both. He didn't get through the draw he had on a fluke. Remember that he JUST turned 21. He's still getting better and he learns quickly. Also remember that while his success at the US Open has been limited, he has had other hard court victories that have been pretty impressive. He's already a great player. Someday soon he's going to be a "OMG, I can't believe he just did that" player.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
both. He didn't get through the draw he had on a fluke. Remember that he JUST turned 21. He's still getting better and he learns quickly. Also remember that while his success at the US Open has been limited, he has had other hard court victories that have been pretty impressive. He's already a great player. Someday soon he's going to be a "OMG, I can't believe he just did that" player.
Look at the shots he made in some of his matches, especially the Wimby Final we all just saw, I think he already IS that player :angel:

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True Rafa is an oustanding player already.

My take on it is:-

Rafa great fighter, great champion, hence fighting through all those tough matches to make it to the final.

In the final great at playing Federer, knows his game inside out beaten him more times than not and hence his amazing perfomance in the final.

Great on grass...no, but to be fair bar Federer no1 really is.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Both, though not quite as good as Roger on grass. Nadal would have defeated anyone else in this Wimbledon final. Roger would have defeated anyone else but Rafa in the French final.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Federer is probably the reason Nadal is not already Wimbledon champion.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
agree with #2
i'll even say i like his chances better against federer than against lets say youzhny in a grasscourt final.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well more so the second option. He neutralizes Federer's game very well.

However he's still a good grass courter. 2 Wimby finals in a row surley proves that.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Removing his matches with Federer he has a record of 15-4 on grass. This surface is not usually well suited for youngsters (unlike RG which has been won by several teens) so I say he's very talented an will win several Wimbys, hopefuly starting in 2008.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
The match up issue is well known and no debate was really needed about that.

The great grass courter? Well, he is a great player and that is the fact. I wouldn't call him a great grasscourter because grass adds very little to his game, the fact that it is grass is nothing to do with what makes him great. He IS a great grasscourter if you are simply looking at it in terms of good on grass but he good on grass because he is good, not good on grass because the grass makes him good.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well he is good at playing Federer. But he had to play and beat 6 other guys not named Federer to even face Federer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
To beat Federer you have to be a great grass court player. Federer and Sampras are excellent grass court players. Nadal, Agassi, Hewitt and Roddick are great grass court players.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
He is a great grass court player but the reason he got close to beating Federer is because he's a bad match up for him.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts