Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the many thread in which Nadal's recent form had been discussed, thought I'd start another :cool:

I'm wondering whether Nadal isn't just getting very tentative lately cuz he's finally getting close to claiming the #1 position ... maybe it's keeping him from playing freely, whilst he handles pressure fairly well most of the times (or is that just on clay ?? )...

I thought he started the season off in style with a Aussie-Semi, but his hardcourt endavours have been below par afterwards. He himself was quoted saying he was surprised when he lost in the 2nd round of ROTTERDAM ... personally I had counted on him winning there ... :rolleyes:

What do you folkz think ... ??

·
Registered
347 Posts
no this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Nadal knows hes not close because he isn't. Fed has like no points to defend while Nadal has a ton over the next two tournaments. If anything is giving him pressure its defending all those points but seeing as his hard court form has been off lately its most likely coming from somewhere else.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
I thought he started the season off in style with a Aussie-Semi, but his hardcourt endavours have been below par afterwards.
Nadal played terribly at the Australian Open, I'd hardly describe it as starting the season in style despite him getting reasonably deep.

In fact, he's been in poor form for 9 months, meaning this thread is somewhat pointless.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Rafa himself said in his post match-presser yesterday that he isn't at all close to Roger, with all the points he'll have to defend at IW and Miami, let alone the clay court season. So that can't be it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Nadal knows hes not close because he isn't. Fed has like no points to defend while Nadal has a ton over the next two tournaments. If anything is giving him pressure its defending all those points but seeing as his hard court form has been off lately its most likely coming from somewhere else.
Well thanx 4 the abuse, but if it was so dumb, then why was there a whole article on it at the ATP website ?!?! :rolleyes:

I think he knows that his hardcourt performances at the moment are of tremendous influence actually. Had he done better at ROTTERDAM and DUBAI, he could have closed in even more ...

As far as clay is concerned, I think that's like home-coming to Nadal ... ;) I don't think he'll see that as pressure now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
no atptennis article was stupid as well.

Everyone knows hes not close since fed will most likely win IW and Miami back to back.

They just made the article to pump up some story line of the race heating up, which is of course good for tennis and for its popularity.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Well thanx 4 the abuse, but if it was so dumb, then why was there a whole article on it at the ATP website ?!?! :rolleyes:
Because that site's articles are written by journalists who, if they have any knowledge of tennis at all, do a good job of hiding that. They're there to create drama and raise interest, not to give good insight in what's actually happening.

I expected Raf to do better in Rotterdam as well, btw, especially regarding his draw there with all seeds falling out. Too bad he had to follow his fellow players' example... :sad:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In fact, he's been in poor form for 9 months, meaning this thread is somewhat pointless.
Is that so ... just cuz he did not win a title recently ... he lost to some top players if you ask me ... also, winning ugly is part of what top-players do at times, as long as you get the job done.

I must admit though there must be other reasons, hence this thread...

·
Registered
691 Posts
No. I think he's become well used to being #2, I doubt he really thinks about it anymore!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because that site's articles are written by journalists who, if they have any knowledge of tennis at all, do a good job of hiding that. They're there to create drama and raise interest, not to give good insight in what's actually happening.
That's a little stereo-typical for the most part ... It's more like a fact that due to some FEDEX losses and Nadal closing in therefore they did hype it up a little, fact is, this is as close as he's gotten so far, isn't it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is that so ... just cuz he did not win a title recently ... he lost to some top players if you ask me ... also, winning ugly is part of what top-players do at times, as long as you get the job done.

I must admit though there must be other reasons, hence this thread...

I wouldn't call him playing badly, but if your making it in reference to playing like a number one player then, yes he is not playing well enough right now to be number one in the world.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't call him playing badly, but if your making it in reference to playing like a number one player then, yes he is not playing well enough right now to be number one in the world.
Hmmm ... is Federer ??

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Saw him play today?
Saw him play Murray and even Pete ?? I'm not sayin' he does not deserve it, not even sayin' Nadal does, but he's hardly been that impressive this year ... so far ...

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Saw him play Murray and even Pete ?? I'm not sayin' he does not deserve it, not even sayin' Nadal does, but he's hardly been that impressive this year ... so far ...
Nobody denies he's been in a slum the first few months of the year. But he's been out defending his #1 position pretty well, and I'm sure he'll try to broaden the gab with Rafa and Djoko as much as possible during IW and Miami. Ah, we'll have to wait and see how far he gets, but he's already gained a few points by just reaching the last 16 in IW. :cool:

EDIT: oh, and don't take exho's in any way seriously. That match against Sampras was scripted from a to z.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nobody denies he's been in a slum the first few months of the year. But he's been out defending his #1 position pretty well, and I'm sure he'll try to broaden the gab with Rafa and Djoko as much as possible during IW and Miami. Ah, we'll have to wait and see how far he gets, but he's already gained a few points by just reaching the last 16 in IW.
That's true I guess, but we'll see if the wins at IW, I'm not convinced yet ...

EDIT: oh, and don't take exho's in any way seriously. That match against Sampras was scripted from a to z.
Hmmm ... I realise some of it is, but not all of it ... Pete played played pretty well, I think more people should play S&V against Fedex, if only people knew how to :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Hmmm ... I realise some of it is, but not all of it ... Pete played played pretty well, I think more people should play S&V against Fedex, if only people knew how to :rolleyes:
That was a.... err, what's the word? - um, yes, EXHIBITION.

There's a reason why S&V is all but dead, and it's NOT the lack of talent on the tour. It's the fact that constant S&V = suicide on today's slow courts and racquet technology. Go watch one of Hewitt vs. Sampras matches and you'll get it.

S&V is now only a supplementary thing. It's good to have it in your repertoire so that the returner can't get too relaxed in moonballing serves back.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I don't think Nadal is feeling any more pressure being close to number one than Federer is feeling being close to losing his number one ranking. As much as a 'slump' he's in, he's performed better than most players this season (including Fed,) but it's true he hasn't been up to his normal standards.

He's got a real opportunity to get his season kick started in the right direction with tomorrow.

GO RAFA!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hey... why am I red repped already? I only made two post introducing myself and the comment above? On the womens' site i've been posting there for 5 years and have only gotten 6 bad reps (in five years...lol)- already my first day posting here and I have two?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think he is feeling some pressure from the djoker. He has to keep his focus and dominate the clay and grass court seasons as usual (very doable). If he does that I think he has a decent chance of taking no. 1 by the end of the year. The wild card seems to be the djoker who keeps getting better and better, is incredibly good on all surfaces and has a good sense of his physical limits.

It would be quite sad if we moved from the federer era to the djoker era without nadal taking no. 1for at least a year.

Vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamos,

paker

1 - 20 of 35 Posts