Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafael Nadal has revealed that he is not yet fit enough to return to action due to his current knee injury.

The Spaniard was forced to withdraw from the Olympic Games, where he was due to carry his country's flag, and he is continuing his recuperation.

Nadal has not played a competitive match since Wimbledon, when he set online gambling markets aflutter with a shock second-round defeat to Lukas Rosol.

His long-standing knee problem has reared its ugly head again and the French Open champion needs more time before considering a return to the ATP Tour.

Nadal has announced that he has decided to pull out of next week's Rogers Cup event in Canada, as he attempts to get fit for the final Grand Slam of the year.

Speaking on his Facebook page, the French Open champion revealed: "I am not ready to play and I hope to be back in 2014 at that great tournament that has always treat me very well.

"I am continuing with my recup and practice. Thanks!"

Nadal has played in Toronto every year since 2004 and not only is it a blow to the organisers, but also adds to growing fears about his chances of playing at the US Open.

The 26-year-old only has until August 27 - when the action at Flushing Meadows begins - to recover and go in search of a second US Open crown.

He remains among the favourites in the sports betting for the final Grand Slam of the year, but these fitness worries are a growing concern for punters.

Nadal's only win in New York came in 2010, when defeating Novak Djokovic, with the Spaniard then beaten in the final by Djokovic in his attempts to defend the title last year.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts