Mens Tennis Forums banner

What H2H between Federer and Nadal would make you acknowledge Federer as the GOAT?

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...as the GOAT?

I think Federer only stain in his resume, that may make some people doubt his status as GOAT, is his H2H against Nadal. So what H2H would make you acknowledge Federer as the GOAT (provided that all else remains as it is now)?. Please in the poll choose the closest answer to yours

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
...as the GOAT?

I think Federer only stain in his resume, that may make some people doubt his status as GOAT, is his H2H against Nadal. So what H2H would make you acknowledge Federer as the GOAT (provided that all else remains as it is now)?. Please in the poll choose the closest answer to yours
What about H2H against Nole?

He's 15-18 against Nole, excluding their matches in MM tournaments.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
...as the GOAT?

Well there isn't anything that could change it now. Both are in decline.

How I have always seen it is Federer is the most successful player of ALLTIME. There's no question about that.

But for me Nadal is the greater player because of his H2H against all the other top players of HIS era. Plus he has a few slams of his own.

But in the words of Dylan. THE TIMES THEYRE A CHANGING. The problem now is there's a guy out there who is going to seriously make himself part of the argument in the next 3--5 years. Marching through history. Djokovic may ellipse both Nadal and Federer.

Or at least make a very serious case for why he is the greatest. And in a way that would be a good thing. Because I for one get sick of all these Federer Nadal arguments. I would love it if Djokovic put the spotlight on himself.

He is worthy. The only player to consistently beat Nadal at his best. Djokovic has history making in his sights.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Not a Nadal Fan, but I would feel better if it was as close as 19-23. He really took advantage of Olderer.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well Nadal has, more or less, dominated Federer over his whole career, while Novak expectedly is catching up with an aging Federer right now. No stain for me there

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem now is there's a guy out there who is going to seriously make himself part of the argument in the next 3--5 years. Marching through history. Djokovic may ellipse both Nadal and Federer.
I agree with you there, that's one of the reasons that I wrote in parenthesis (provided that all else remains as it is now)

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
...as the GOAT?

It's irrelevant as I remember some Dulltards claimed that he was already GOAT as far back as 2012 when H2H was 10-18 and Nadal was sitting on 11 slams.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Federer will never be the greatest of all time because at his prime he wasn't able to solve beating his main rival the other greatest of all time contender. However so far he is the most successful player of all time, that I am willing to give him credit for despite the fact that he vultured that one clay slam.

Nadal to me is the greatest of all time and Federer is the most successful of all time.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It's irrelevant as I remember some Dulltards claimed thaut he was already GOAT as far back as 2012 when H2H was 10-18 and Nadal was sitting on 11 slams.
GOAT is subjective. Somebody may consider Jimmy Connors the Governor. It's as much personal as factual.

The only thing we really have to go on is achievements and H2Hs. If we go on Achievements alone. Federer is clearly the greatest. But many have a problem (myself included) with someone being called the greatest when they weren't even the greatest player of their era.

People have to learn to differentiate between GREAT AND SUCCESSFUL. That's the problem we have here.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
He was late. To be the GOAT he needed to win about 7-8 GS titles beating prime Nadal and Djokovic during the tournament.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Federer will never be the greatest of all time because at his prime he wasn't able to solve beating his main rival the other greatest of all time contender. However so far he is the most successful player of all time, that I am willing to give him credit for despite the fact that he vultured that one clay slam.

Nadal to me is the greatest of all time and Federer is the most successful of all time.
Well that's how I look at it. For the time being at least...

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
The H2H isn't relevant, tennis is about winning titles.

Djokovic would have won 3 or 4 Slams at best if he peaked at the same time as Federer, I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Not a Nadal Fan, but I would feel better if it was as close as 19-23. He really took advantage of Olderer.
Took advantage of OLDERER? He has been beating Federer in slams since 2005.

Do you think Federer broke down at the AO 2009 because he was in awe of Laver standing there. No, he broke down because he knew the game WAS UP. The easy years were OVER. From now on of he faced Nadal, chance were strong he would lose. He had played Nadal in 8 slam finals at that point, and lost 6 of them.

The weight and reality of this fact hit him at the AO 2009.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
The H2H isn't relevant, tennis is about winning titles.

Djokovic would have won 3 or 4 Slams at best if he peaked at the same time as Federer, I hope that answers your question.
No he wouldn't PEAK DJOKOVIC is better than PEAK FEDERER. Djokovic has actually evolved the game now that's the reality. He is the next level in its evolution. Federer and Nadal raised the bar from the Sampras, Agassi era. Now Djokovic has gone even further.

At his very best. He is the best player the games ever seen. That's not me saying that because I want to. I would like to believe Nadal would never be passed. It's a statement of FACT. We have to step aside from our personal devotion to our personal favourites. And acknowledge that fact.

Djokovic at his best is playing the highest level of tennis ever played.

Reactions: AlterBridge

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Took advantage of OLDERER?
Well, yes. When 10-18 became 10-22 in 2013.

Shame that Federer never had the privilege of meeting Oldal in 2014 and 2015 (In Basel? Shanghai? YEC? etc.), maybe then this H2H would be corrected a bit. Again when both at their physical peaks and with Federer's matchup disadvantage, 10-18 is fine. 10-23 is too skewed and doesn't tell the whole picture.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Fed ' only blemish on his resume is his H2H against Nadal, while Nadal has many more holes of his own. For examples, has less week number 1 than his top 2 rivals Federer and Djokovic. You can argue that the reason he has less weeks at number 1 is he has 2 all time greats in his time. But the same argument goes to Federer, Fed turned around his H2H against Hewitt, Henman, Nalbandian. But Nadal is younger, and also an all time great, Fed went 3-2 in 2007, got mono in 2008, went 2-2 in 09-10, then there is no way he can turn that around.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, yes. When 10-18 became 10-22 in 2013.

Shame that Federer never had the privilege of meeting Oldal in 2014 and 2015 (In Basel? Shanghai? YEC? etc.), maybe then this H2H would be corrected a bit. Again when both at their physical peaks and with Federer's matchup disadvantage, 10-18 is fine. 10-23 is too skewed and doesn't tell the whole picture.

If the 29 year old Nadal meet the 24 years old Federer the H2H will have a different picture.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Nadal has many advantages over Federer, some of them can be seen in my signature.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Doesn't matter. Nadull only benefited from Olderer. Imagine if 24 y.o Fed would have played against current Dull ..lol.:rolls:

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
1 - 20 of 188 Posts