Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some alternate universe federer made that backhand pass and beat anderson in 3 sets and likely beat isner in 3 or 4 sets.

Nadal would have played a 5 setter vs del po then played djokovic and the match would have finished in the same day but would have gone 5 sets as djoker was up 2 sets to 1 when they stopped.

Fed would have played the winner of djoker/nadal in the wimbledon final after they battled it out in a 4-4.5 hr semi and had 1 full recovery day.

I did not watch much of the nadal/djoker match. Would they have both beaten fed in the final with the conditions you guys saw that sundays final was played in along with the stamina they exerted against each others as they are 31 and 32 years old now these days.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think odds are they both beat him especially considering how hot it was and the unusually high bounces for a grass court which favor Djoker/Rafa. However, he would've had a good chance especially considering I think Djokovic hasn't quite regained his stamina and might've actually lost to Anderson had he dropped the 3rd. IMO Djoker looked completely sapped by the end of the match. But I'm so pumped he pulled it out. He's back baby.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Sorry but this is pointless speculation. Dwelling on things that are now fiction and irrelevant. You can come up with 50 different explanations post-match let alone scenarios for a match that didnt even happen. Time for North American hardcourts, you're only as good as your next match.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm only asking this as it was one of the worst wimbledon finals ever.

Everyone knew instantly that whoever won the nadal/djoker match was winning the finals.

i honestly just think fed had a blah match vs anderson and it is being blown out of proportion. Also, this years wimbledon played very oddly with the bounce and was not like normal conditions in the past.

Will be an interesting us open esp if djoker/nadal in the same half.

My last point is fed was never going to get his ground game going by being away for 3 months and coming back playing on grass. its not a surface you really can establish a rhythm if you skip the clay. That was the risk. However, I think his ground game will be better as the indoor hard swing arrives. Also, expect him to never play both stutt and halle and it only worked last year cuz he got bounced in r1 stutt.

Expect fed to only play cinci and us open this year. Also guys in north america it is a hell heat wave going on. Its going to be a blisterering 2 weeks in new york with 85-90 temps so it will be a hot hot court. Advantage offensive tennis let us hope.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
In some alternate universe federer made that backhand pass and beat anderson in 3 sets and likely beat isner in 3 or 4 sets.
Fed has been mediocre (for his standard) the whole grass season, normally he would destroy Isner, but I'm not so sure anymore. 5 sets or maybe even a loss and Isner making it to the final.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
In 2012 Wimbledon SF, Novak fans said that conditions favored Federer. In 2018, same conditions favored Novak. How that possible?

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
In 2012 Wimbledon SF, Novak fans said that conditions favored Federer. In 2018, same conditions favored Novak. How that possible?
because Federer is better indoors than Djokovic, I guess.

But the difference isnt that big between them, and Nole lost in 4 sets anyway, never getting close. Nole just played a bad match, slightly understandable after making 6 of the last 7 slam finals.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
No1e's defense and movement were taken away from him that match. Look at the highlights. No1e kept falling and couldn't play defense. The grass was wet and slippery.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
because Federer is better indoors than Djokovic, I guess.

But the difference isnt that big between them, and Nole lost in 4 sets anyway, never getting close. Nole just played a bad match, slightly understandable after making 6 of the last 7 slam finals.
but Novak is BOAT... He supposed to win

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
No1e's defense and movement were taken away from him that match. Look at the highlights. No1e kept falling and couldn't play defense. The grass was wet and slippery.
could be true from memory.

can you show me in the match / highlights all the falling? and did it actually rain onto the ground and then they closed the roof?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't know, I think Roger could've lost to either.

Honestly, he didn't look very impressive during the whole grass season. Sure, he could've suddenly found form and produced a masterclass in the SF, going into the final with some confidence, but that's just speculation at this point.

Based on what we saw in his earlier matches, I would've favoured Djokovic for sure, and Rafa marginally.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
i'm only asking this as it was one of the worst wimbledon finals ever.

Everyone knew instantly that whoever won the nadal/djoker match was winning the finals.

i honestly just think fed had a blah match vs anderson and it is being blown out of proportion. Also, this years wimbledon played very oddly with the bounce and was not like normal conditions in the past.

Will be an interesting us open esp if djoker/nadal in the same half.

My last point is fed was never going to get his ground game going by being away for 3 months and coming back playing on grass. its not a surface you really can establish a rhythm if you skip the clay. That was the risk. However, I think his ground game will be better as the indoor hard swing arrives. Also, expect him to never play both stutt and halle and it only worked last year cuz he got bounced in r1 stutt.

Expect fed to only play cinci and us open this year. Also guys in north america it is a hell heat wave going on. Its going to be a blisterering 2 weeks in new york with 85-90 temps so it will be a hot hot court. Advantage offensive tennis let us hope.
This was one of the worst Finals because the real Final was played on friday and saturday, between Rafa and Nole.

Like my answer=?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts