Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
49,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very lengthy and very good interview from Rafa

Other quotes: "If you have 30 Grand Slams but no friends, it is a very hard time"

"I do my career and I am not worried if the one who lives next to me has a bigger house than mine, has a better car or charges a little more per month."

"I think it will affect me the same as the peers who have an age and a worn body like mine. It will require again a great effort, discipline and will to get back to being 100% ready. I am confident that I have all those virtues to aspire to compete at the highest level."

"The sun rises every time there are fewer deaths every day, whether I go out on the track, or not, is less important to me. This is the reality that I live. Whether I can train or not is no less important. Things have to be done consistently."

"Since yesterday we can go for a walk, something so simple that we always take it for granted but we enjoy it again."

"Each one is free, but if you belong to a circuit, perhaps one has to be governed by the rules that the circuit demands, if he obliges to be vaccinated to protect everyone, because Djokovic will have to be vaccinated if he wants to continue playing tennis at the highest level , or me. Each one will have to comply. If the ATP or the ITF forces us to get a vaccine to play tennis, then we will have to get it."

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
The truth serum that comes out Rafa and Federer's mouth in a non pressured interview is brilliant.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Yeap, it may well be that a potential rushed vaccine result detrimental to tennis returning soon . Let alone the fact that a mandatory vaccine will be requirement is gonna be tough IMO. Novak and others wouldnt go for rushing the way back .

·
Registered
59,838 Posts
It hurts me deeply to say this, but definitely rooting for Nadal to win out on this one

·
justice for all
16,771 Posts
Yep, Rafa says it like it is. Very reasonable and honest guy. Now compare it to the horseshit coming out of the anti-vaxxer’s mouth.
The good thing about this extended lockdown is we are finally able to see the real personalities of the top guys. Not that I am very surprised but still this an interesting thing to witness.

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
I wish somebody would have asked him why he isn't in favour of a tennis players' union. Federer is in deep with the tennis establishment (see Laver Cup), but I never got the sense Rafa was until last year.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
100% common sense, 0% nonsense. Rafa is such an utterly grounded guy...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,599 Posts
Rafa is actually right, especially when he says it this way:

"Each one is free, but if you belong to a circuit, perhaps one has to be governed by the rules that the circuit demands, if he obliges to be vaccinated to protect everyone, because Djokovic will have to be vaccinated if he wants to continue playing tennis at the highest level , or me. Each one will have to comply. If the ATP or the ITF forces us to get a vaccine to play tennis, then we will have to get it."

We live in three spheres of existence. In the personal sphere, people have to follow your rules. Someone comes to visit your house, and you want them to take off your shoes before you come in, then they must comply or not be allowed in the house. In the corporate sphere, there are agreed sets of rules people follow for belonging to an organisation. If you work with children for instance, you must follow the rules and regulations they advise. If you don't, you will not be accepted. In the public sphere, there are different sets of rules and values individuals choose to follow, but operate by means of co-existence. This means you cannot impute your own rules on others and expect them to be followed.

The ATP belongs under the corporate sphere. Whether their regulations are good is another matter, but if they decide vaccination is required, then Djokovic will be expected to cooperate.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Rafa's absolutely correct 100%... If Djokovic wants to play tennis and the vaccine is a requirement, he'll get it or else his career is over!!
Djokovic e.g. could refuse the very first vaccine, if there was one by the end of the year or the beginning of 2021, but change his mind by the mid 2021 if there were several better researched vaccines available at the time.

But since he has probably been vaccinated for more diseases than half of the tour, there is a very small chance he refuses the very first mandatory vaccine.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
In the scenario that Nadal envisages - ie. the vaccine somehow being enforced by the tennis authorities - if Djokovic asserts strongly that he's not having the vaccine, and that's it, they will either change the rules, or quite possibly he could sue the ATP / ITF. It will just be a flagrant breach of human rights.

If there was some scenario whereby vaccines were being enforced for travel by governments in concert then it would be a different scenario entirely.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts