Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all read it in the media and here in the forum. There are several who think Nadal-Djokovic is like the final and the winner of this match will win the tournament. I don't agree with this. I think the winner of Zverev and Tsitsipas will be slightly the underdog against Nadal/Djokovic, especially when Djokodal will be a long grueling match.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
What you write is potentially true, but I don't think you got it right.
I think Nadal remains the strong favourite against all of them, so the real question is Djokovic really harder than Tsitsi or Zverev?
But if that's somehow wrong (bookies favour nadal to a huge extent--Nadal 4/6, Djok 5/1, Tsitsi 4.7/1, 1/AZ 27/2) If Rafa beats Djok easily has a tough match against tsitsi then the semi wasn't the real final. I could write out the rest of the scenarios but that would be lengthy so the real answer is:
We won't know till it happens.
I think Rafa will beat Djok and whoever from the other half in a mildly comepetitive 4 set match, which will indicate the semi was NOT the real final.
But that's just a guess and overall I will agree the semi is NOT the real final, because I don't think Djok is better than Tstisi on clay.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Agreed, especially if Stef makes it through to the final. He certainly has a chance of winning it all.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't see the final as a foregone conclusion at all. Both Tsitsipas and Zverev have the ability to trouble Nadal or Djokovic if they play their best. I'd certainly give them higher chances against Novak but I don't see Nadal as unbeatable either.

·
Registered
342 Posts
So the condition here is: the youngster will play his best in the finals but Nadal will play badly. It's within the realm of possibility, but it's rather unlikely.

·
|
16,179 Posts
We all read it in the media and here in the forum. There are several who think Nadal-Djokovic is like the final and the winner of this match will win the tournament. I don't agree with this. I think the winner of Zverev and Tsitsipas will be slightly the underdog against Nadal/Djokovic, especially when Djokodal will be a long grueling match.

What are your thoughts?
But Djokovic only won 7 games last year, and Nadal is in far better shape this year.
So why do you say Nadal-Djokovic will be a long grueling match?
Djokovic was almost pushed to 5 sets by Berrettini!
While Nadal won the last 9 games of the match vs. Schwartzman, a player Nadal had never bagelled EVER before.
Looks like Nadal is in great form, while Djokovic is on his last legs....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It doesn't really matter since nadal is going to win anyway, there is no real final.
If theoretically djokovic wins then yeah, the real final is the final since the other finalist will have a good chance, maybe even be the favorite.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, it is the real final, a special combination that happens every 6 years:
-RG 2009 - R16 - Soderling def Nadal
-RG 2015 (+6) - QF (+1) - Djokovic def Nadal
-RG 2021 (+6) - SF (+1) - Djokovic def Nadal
This is the real final and stars aligning for Djokovic.

·
|
16,179 Posts
Nadal had championship points at 64 54 in the Barcelona Final vs. Tsitsipas, so good chance Tsitsipas doesn't win a set if they meet here.
Heck, Tsistipas almost lost in straight sets at this year's AO........and Nadal needed back treatment.

·
justice for all
18,438 Posts
What if Nadal wins in 3 in SF and F? Will Nadal - Schwartzman be the real final then? :unsure:

And what if Zverev/ Tsitsipas wins it all? Will Zverev - Tsitsipas be the real final then? :unsure:

All these assumptions are quite silly for me.

My thinking is:

Nadal is the clear favourite against anyone left in the draw but all the remaining players could potentially beat him with the likelihood of 20-30%.
Both Zverev and Tsitsipas are ready for their slam breakthrough.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Nadal/Djokovic, especially when Djokodal will be a long grueling match.
Irrelivant.Match won't be postponed.They will be ready for the final ofc.

·
Registered
62,282 Posts
Tsitsipas would have a real shot in the final against either.

Zverev....ehh, idk. He shit his pants against a very subpar Thiem with no crowd, hard to see how he'd hold up better here.

·
Your visions will happen
52,283 Posts
Absolutely. The SF is the SF, and the F is the F

Zverev beat Nadal and Tsitsipas had match point

And both have beaten Djokovic before

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Yes, it is the real final, a special combination that happens every 6 years:
-RG 2009 - R16 - Soderling def Nadal
-RG 2015 (+6) - QF (+1) - Djokovic def Nadal
-RG 2021 (+6) - SF (+1) - Djokovic def Nadal
This is the real final and stars aligning for Djokovic.
Except neither in 2009 nor 2015 the guy who beat nadal won the tournament…

·
Premium Member
24,165 Posts
Absolutely. The SF is the SF, and the F is the F

Zverev beat Nadal and Tsitsipas had match point

And both have beaten Djokovic before
Though Zverev only in a clay Masters final and Tsitsipas never beat him on clay.
Also they didn't meet in a slam final yet. If Djokovic gets through, he'll be the slight favorite.

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Your visions will happen
52,283 Posts
Though Zverev only in a clay Masters final and Tsitsipas never beat him on clay.
Also they didn't meet in a slam final yet. If Djokovic gets through, he'll be the slight favorite.
Yes I agree, but this is not a 2013 situation with Ferrer in the finals and you knew it was over already, this year has intrigue especially if Tsitsipas wins

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
French Open is forgettable but Zverev or Tsitsi match will be great, unlike the fake Fedal rivalry matches.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts