Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from just memory so I don't know for sure.

Raonic has showed great consistency this year. I think he will make the top 8 and win/reach the finals of one or two of these MS titles, and make it past the QFs in a slam this year. I have been critical of this guy in the past but he showed great improvements since the US open last year.

when you look at the race it seems like he hasn't a good year but that's misleading. Didn't do so well at the aussie open. He was hurt and almost pushed Grigor to a 5 set. He hasn't played in a 500 tournament so he has points to make up.

I think he will be higher ranked than Nishikori and Dimitrov at the end of the year. Anyone else agree?

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Now that we are sure, I'm not sure what your point is.

We can make more threads on matters similar to this:

Djokovic is the only player to win 2 MS titles this year.
Nadal, Djokovic and Federer are the only players to make 2 MS Finals this year.
Djokovic is the only player to make 3 MS Semifinals this year.

Advantage Djokovic until now.

Although Raonic made 4 QF, Nishikori made 2 SF and Raonic 0. As you know, in terms of points, a SF is DOUBLE the points of QF. Nishikori also made a final. I don't know how you calculated that Nishikori will surely be in front of Raonic based only on 4 QFs. Ahead of Dimitrov is a possibility.

·
23,063 Posts
Now that we are sure, I'm not sure what your point is.

We can make more threads on matters similar to this:

Djokovic is the only player to win 2 MS titles this year.
Nadal, Djokovic and Federer are the only players to make 2 MS Finals this year.
Djokovic is the only player to make 3 MS Semifinals this year.

Advantage Djokovic until now.

Although Raonic made 4 QF, Nishikori made 2 SF and Raonic 0. As you know, in terms of points, a SF is DOUBLE the points of QF. Nishikori also made a final. I don't know how you calculated that Nishikori will surely be in front of Raonic based only on 4 QFs. Ahead of Dimitrov is a possibility.
I guess it is about consistency of the three, especially on Raonic's part who isn't in the Top 8 yet, surprisingly even doing well on Clay. That said, different story I agree on really having big scalps like with the likes of Nishikori who had 2 SFs now (beating Federer and Ferrer on those QFs) and could've had a W already, or even Stan who has a "sine curve" performance in his tournaments (W-W-R16-R16-W[QF]-W-R32-R16) and subpar in Masters except for one. Dimitrov though has been getting close to that but did have tough scalps on some.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
He's shown good consistency but I don't think his performances have been particularly impressive in any of those tournaments. There's no way in hell he's winning a masters event any time soon.

Has anyone seen a match of his where he gave the impression he was ready to step up to the next level? I just don't see it.

I think both Dimitrov and Nishikori have shown an ability to step up to a significantly higher level than Raonic this year.

Nishikori's fitness may prevent him maintaining these results, but Dimitrov should push on to top 10.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Raonic has had very easy draws and every time he has played a decent player on form (Tsonga and Murray played liked crap against him), he has been beaten.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Raonic has had very easy draws and every time he has played a decent player on form (Tsonga and Murray played liked crap against him), he has been beaten.
I don't know the truth is that although Raonic doesn't have the game to win against the very best(when they are playing well); he is consistent enough to actually make a further climb up the rankings. This will ensure him easier routes and thus he will be a solid top 10 player for the foreseeable future.
Easy draws are because of his ranking and some luck, but all players get them so I don't know why you bring up the draws anyway.

·
21,308 Posts
I don't know the truth is that although Raonic doesn't have the game to win against the very best(when they are playing well); he is consistent enough to actually make a further climb up the rankings. This will ensure him easier routes and thus he will be a solid top 10 player for the foreseeable future.
Easy draws are because of his ranking and some luck, but all players get them so I don't know why you bring up the draws anyway.
He is already having a top 8 seed position. Easier routes would need top 4 seed, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
633 Posts
He is already having a top 8 seed position. Easier routes would need top 4 seed, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.
He has a lot of points to defend actually - so keeping himself top 8 seed position is what's important to ensure draws like the one he has had in Rome. A bit of luck(withdraw or lose to someone better ranked than him) and he is pretty much guaranteed QF if he serves consistently. Most players out of the top 20 cannot trouble his serve and he does have enough in his game for the occasional break of serve.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Raonic will become the new Berdych.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Tsonga played fine against him (until a slight drop in level in the 2nd). Murray, yes, he was awful at IW. But he's beaten Murray in good form before too.

Fact is, Milos has consistently been good in every M1000 tournament this year. Not good enough to win, no, but only Ferrer/Stan have managed to break the Big 4's hold on those events over the past few years. Even in his losses against very good opponents playing at a high level (Nadal at Miami, Stan at MC, Kei at Madrid), he competed well and was close to winning each of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts