Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nadal/Djok fans are you more worried with staying at the top in 2020+ with the emerging of nextgens+

• Yes things aren't looking as good now, too many good players that can cause trouble.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Nah, they're too inconsistent in slams, won't have mental/physical fortitude left against Nadovic.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • As a Nadal fan not worried he just needs 1-2 more slams and at worst has RG

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • As a Nadal fan not as confident anymore even on RG and he could decline anytime

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Djoko fan not worried he will be favourite on all surfaces, and he still can play for a long time

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Djoko fan much less confident, the resistance from upcoming players might just be getting too much

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how worried if at all are nadal and djokovic fans, especially with the slam count race in 2020 and beyond since there has been a lot of players starting to rise up and peak.

·
King Of Tennis
2,525 Posts
No. NextFlop still hasn't won a slam. When one of them does, then we can talk. Just look at everyone hyping up Mugvedev and now he's on a four match losing streak.

Rafa definitely missed his last chance to win the ATP finals though. NextFlop can and have stepped it up there. Forever a giant hole on his resume.

·
Your visions will happen
48,155 Posts
Let's focus on Pique Cup first

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I’d be more worried about Rogie - we saw how close he came to beating his two arch rivals back to back in a slam for the first time EVER. If Rogie can straighten out his mental game and quit being a choker he should hit his prime next year. He’s a much more complete player in 2019 than he was in 2007

·
Registered
384 Posts
No. NextFlop still hasn't won a slam. When one of them does, then we can talk. Just look at everyone hyping up Mugvedev and now he's on a four match losing streak.

Rafa definitely missed his last chance to win the ATP finals though. NextFlop can and have stepped it up there. Forever a giant hole on his resume.
you’re obsessed with posting this lol ? Djokovic forever has a giant hole on his resume with no Olympic singles gold; Rafa also beat him in route to that title. Should I post on every new post how this is the MOST GAPING HOLE EVER IN A RESUME?!

·
justice for all
14,487 Posts
Their time is coming to the end.
After Roland Garros Nadal will lose no1 to Dominator and none of the "pushing duo" will ever get it back.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
What threats? Djoko and Rafa won every slam between them. Nobody cares about nextgen challenging them in 3 setters, until they can do it on the big stage it doesn't mean shit. Most people in this forum have the average attention span of a fish.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Djokovic should be mega worried, Rafa much less so. Players like Tsitsipas, Medvedev, even Zverev and Thiem just don't fear Djokovic. He will have a lot of trouble with them in the future. Medvedev will be a huge threat at AO and he might easily prevent Djokovic from collecting a few more slams. Medvedev could be that ultimate factor that decides the slam race in the end - in Rafa's favor. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm absolutely not worried about the future.

As a Rafa fan, he has exceeded my wildest expectations as far as his achievements go.

At this point, anything he does is a bonus for me.

·
|
14,749 Posts
I don't think Thiem will ever beat Rafa at Roland Garros.
And none of them will beat Rafa at a hardcourt slam, that's for sure.
And none of the nextgens are comfortable enough on grass....
So no, the nextgens are a few years away from winning slams.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Novak should be concerned for sure. The young have Novak number. Rafa not so much.

But Novak time at the top is coming to a end very quick imo. Not only are the young guys whipping him but Nadal and Federer absolutely hammered him the last time they played him as well.

Anyway Nadal will probably be number one all of next year and probably after that the young guys will begin to take over. But Nadal will have the slam record by then so he won't be worried.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Novak should be concerned for sure. The young have Novak number. Rafa not so much.

But Novak time at the top is coming to a end very quick imo. Not only are the young guys whipping him but Nadal and Federer absolutely hammered him the last time they played him as well.

Anyway Nadal will probably be number one all of next year and probably after that the young guys will begin to take over. But Nadal will have the slam record by then so he won't be worried.
Yeah, I hope so. Rafa is coming out on top, I'm sure. If he can collect another 30-50 weeks at no.1, another RG and one more HC slam then his status as the best player of his generation will be cemented. Rafa is actually declined compared to the pre-2014 period but the fact he's more effective than ever and still the best player in the world with multiple slams won this year is just amazing. He's the best players in his 30's so far and doing better than Federer at that age.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
you’re obsessed with posting this lol ? Djokovic forever has a giant hole on his resume with no Olympic singles gold; Rafa also beat him in route to that title. Should I post on every new post how this is the MOST GAPING HOLE EVER IN A RESUME?!
Not really, the Tour Finals are organized by the ATP, the Olympic Games singles tennis even by the IOC/ITF, though they are not the same value as grand slams.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not really, the Tour Finals are organized by the ATP, the Olympic Games singles tennis even by the IOC/ITF, though they are not the same value as grand slams.
Naturally you’d think this. Regardless, it’s a big gaping hole in Nole’s resume. Winning Olympic gold in singles and representing your country while doing so is a prestigious honor and achievement.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm not worried about Rafa. He's a match-up nightmare against pretty much all the Next Gen Top guys.

Rafa record against Next Gen Top 20 players :

3-0 vs Medvedev
5-1 vs Tsitsipas
5-1 vs Zverev
1-0 vs Berrettini
1-1 vs Shapovalov
6-0 vs Khachanov
2-0 vs De Minaur

Djokovic is the one in trouble in the immediate future :

3-2 vs Medvedev
2-2 vs Tsitsipas
3-2 vs Zverev
1-0 vs Berrettini
4-0 vs Shapovalov
1-1 vs Khachanov
0-0 vs De Minaur

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I'm not worried.
As Samuel posted above, Rafa has the best record against next gen. All I worry about with Rafa is injury. It has been his biggest nemesis from the getgo.

I think the fire burns brighter and hotter in Rafa than it does in Djok as well. Rafa has the greatest passion, and that will carry his further, if the body co=operates.

Eventually it will happen, losing to the young ones, but not next year, IMO, at least not a lot.

·
King Of Tennis
2,525 Posts
Djokovic is the one in trouble in the immediate future :

3-2 vs Medvedev
2-2 vs Tsitsipas
3-2 vs Zverev
1-0 vs Berrettini
4-0 vs Shapovalov
1-1 vs Khachanov
0-0 vs De Minaur
None of those losses were in slams, lol. The "King sucks against Next Gen" because he has half-assed in a masters here and there, is immensely exaggerated. Best of five is a big step up and so far none of those players have proven themselves there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts