Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tournament director Michael Stich, former Wimbledon champion and a winner here in 1993, had to agree with certain demands put forward by Nadal, one of them being granting a wild-card for the latter’s compatriot Jaume Munar, a French Open Junior runner-up last year, also ranked No: 683 in the world.

While Munar, an 18-year-old hailing from Barcelona who grew up idolising Nadal, will be grateful to Nadal for opening up the doors of opportunity for him, someone else is quite unhappy about the same -- Germany’s Jan-Lennard Struff, who is ranked 109 in the world. Struff will have to play the qualifiers as Munar has been granted provision of the wild-card which he could have gotten had it not been for Nadal’s demands.
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/One-Player-Could-Be-Really-Unhappy-About-Rafael-Nadals-Participation-in-Hamburg-articolo25122.html

Discuss :cool:

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
We No1e fans should not be condemning Nadal for demanding one, when No1e himself made Dubai directors give one to Marko a few years back over someone who worked hard for it.

Reactions: Chokehater

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We No1e fans should not be condemning Nadal for demanding one, when No1e himself made Dubai directors give one to Marko a few years back over someone who worked hard for it.
Marko won five games. Let's see how Munar does

·
MONSOON season.
81,973 Posts
Marko won five games. Let's see how Maunar does
Munar is undoubtedly more deserving of a WC than M. Djokovic. More accurately, he is less undeserving. But this blackmailing behavior is inexcusable. No one in Hamburg will care about watching Munar.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Marko won five games. Let's see how Maunar does
Winning games doesn't justify taking away a wildcard from someone who earned it. Shame on both No1e and Nadal.

Don't backtrack, we all know the intent of your thread. Exposed...

Reactions: Andrej

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's seee how Mountaindewslave will justify this and say it was completely okay for Nadal to do this, when he/she relentlessly bashed Novak for doing something similar at a much smaller tournament years ago:

poor class to use your clout in the tennis world to pressure tournament advisers and/or organizers to let a family member of yours get into a tournament not based on the player's talent but based on your power as #1 in the world.

helping out a family member would be giving them money, paying for their school, not trying to pressure or bribe organizers with your good will as #1 player in the world to let your low ranked brother get a wildcard into a tournament.

just bad class.
regardless of how many words I may have directed towards the nonchalant attitude on this thread, doesn't change the fact that it is not classy and against principle.

tournaments determine wildcards on their own whims not based on pressure from top ranked players of the world. you don't hear about other top ranked players doing this and for that matter there is a reason the man who was asked decided to publicly release the messages- clearly he felt they were both inappropriate and strange.

it's not WW3 i repeat, but against principle of the sport, to throw out wildcards based on the whims of the top players
Note that Marko actually managed to get through qualifiers and win a match in the main draw, showing the WC wouldn't have been undeserved.

·
23,473 Posts
Is this a Main Draw WC? Even if it is not, my opinion here is it just feels -- dirty. Sure, it is a wise bargaining chip by Nadal so that he could have his cake (WC) and eat it too (WC for Munar) seeing how big name he is, but I don't like how due to connections someone untested is going to play a 500-level MD match quickly (with 1st Round prize money to boot), rather than a local guy who could help a boost on points. Maybe make it a Qualifier WC instead and it won't look as bad but as of now I don't like how Nadal has taken advantage of his Bigness here.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I mean, the kid is good, but a QWC couldn't hurt him...more match play, more experience for the youngster...while someone like Struff who has a lot of match play and experience gets a main draw WC. But, I don't like this move by Nadal, it just kinda feels bad. I think he was trying to do a good thing but really the kid should have a qualifying wild card not a main draw wild card, Struff deserves it more...

·
23,473 Posts
A bigger issue here is that Nadal took advantage of 2 Wildcards: himself and the youngster's, correct me if I'm wrong -- it was not like Nadal actually joined here in the entry list then demanded to give the youngster a WC to give him a chance, but he decided to play a bit out of nowhere AND demanded to give a fellow Spaniard a WC too.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Why would anyone care about this has-been?

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
Now watch Nadal draw Munnar ;)

This just seems wrong.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
This :yeah: Don't know if OP is a Nole fan but if he is that's hypocrisy of the highest order.

A bigger issue here is that Nadal took advantage of 2 Wildcards: himself and the youngster's, correct me if I'm wrong -- it was not like Nadal actually joined here in the entry list then demanded to give the youngster a WC to give him a chance, but he decided to play a bit out of nowhere AND demanded to give a fellow Spaniard a WC too.
Don't like it either, top players just got too much power.

That would be hilarious :lol:

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Rafa feels that he's finished and he wants to do a good deed for someone before his time is up.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This :yeah: Don't know if OP is a Nole fan but if he is that's hypocrisy of the highest order.
Did I say anything condemning Nadal for this? No. I am merely reporting the facts in a completely objective manner.

·
23,473 Posts
Now that's just interesting for the :lol: and to also backfire his plan but at the same time that is just going to be plain :sad: for Munnar (although he does have a R1 check so I guess nothing to lose).

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Germany’s Struff Jan-Lennard, who is ranked 109 in the world. Lennard will have to play
Worst tennis site on the internet strikes again :worship:

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Tbf though Struff doesn't deserve a WC either, he has been horrible this year and is easily one of the top 5 chokers on tour this year.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,536 Posts
Tbf though Struff doesn't deserve a WC either, he has been horrible this year and is easily one of the top 5 chokers on tour this year.
You do know he's German and should get home support regardless. Same regarding Brown at Halle and Several last year. Munnar is a who to the crowd and I never heard of him till now.

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
Rafa feels that he's finished and he wants to do a good deed for someone before his time is up.
its probably akin to Field Marshal Von Paulus turning on the Nazi's after his capture at Stalingrad.

Reactions: Alex999
1 - 20 of 117 Posts