Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not many would stand on Fognini's side after his nervous breakdown, but Rafael Nadal decided to spend some nice words for his Italian colleague. "I would be stupid not saying that he was wrong. Of course he was. But he is my friend, I know him well, and I know he is a very good guy. But fans don't know that...I am sad that many people don't like him. I understand that seeing him throwing his racquets and doing all these things doesn't make people want to stand on his side, but he is a good person".

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga about Fognini: "He heard the call on that point, but it was a point that he should have played. We love Fabio when he gifts you with matches like that. He had his problems at his thigh. I would put that into brackets, as he always has a problem: the leg, the referee, the wind... He is still good for tennis, always makes good theatre".

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Re: Nadal defends his friend F.Fognini: "Sad to see many people don't like him"

He is not defending what he did but just Fognini as a person.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

Full version is this:

He's a friend and a great player, but he's wrong to behave like that on court, to spend his time bouncing his racquet. The most important thing for him is to realise it and to be self-critical.so he can progress. That he can be ranked 13th with that kind of attitude is huge. He has talent, and I know he's a good guy. But the fans don't know him, It's not fun being on court with him, like in Miami, and hear the crowd go at him. It makes me sad for him. I know he'll improve.
And Fabio is quoted in L'Equipe as responding:

That's me ... I know I have to be better. That's what Rafa told me. He knows me. He's right.
Quotes via https://twitter.com/markalannixon

Nadal offering wise words to a friend. The Fog would be ranked much higher if he didn't clown as much. We could have a true top 10 with The Fog, Gulbis and Monfils rather than imposters like Raonic and Isner currently clogging up the rankings. ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

Rafa :awww: :yeah:

·
Registered
5,494 Posts

he without sins cast the first stone
i did worse
:hug: to rafa and fognini

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

Just wondering would Nadal be so eager to defend Fognini if he wasn't his utter bitch.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

Nadal offering wise words to a friend. The Fog would be ranked much higher if he didn't clown as much. We could have a true top 10 with The Fog, Gulbis and Monfils rather than imposters like Raonic and Isner currently clogging up the rankings. ;)
Yes, what would the sport be with overrated clowns and underachievers at the top of the tennis world? :lol:

Fognini is what he is and he isn't changing. The guy rolls over against every top player he's ever faced.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts

Dull defending drama queens, what a surprise...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

Nice of Rafa even though I'm not a fan of Fognini's behaviour on court.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

I've been living under a rock the last few days. What is this all about? Something recent that was specific, or in general? :eek:

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

I've been living under a rock the last few days. What is this all about? Something recent that was specific, or in general? :eek:
He blatantly tanked against Tsonga and was booed off the court. So the norm.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

He blatantly tanked against Tsonga and was booed off the court. So the norm.
I just saw the result, and I can only imagine. :facepalm: But yeah as you said, seems to be pretty normal for Fog. :shrug: :(

Nice of Nadal & Tsonga to defend him (to a degree) though. Can't help but wonder if some public constructive criticism could be what is needed to spark a change in Fognini (be it temporary or more permanent).

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

Dull's friendships (Juan Monaco, Fognini) exposing his real face.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

ffs you can't hate this moonballer for one second...always finds the right words :mad:

oh well, he cool

·
Registered
57,595 Posts

Tsonga's quote is more accurate. He suddenly never cared/is injured when he starts to lose

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga about Fognini: "He heard the call on that point, but it was a point that he should have played. We love Fabio when he gifts you with matches like that. He had his problems at his thigh. I would put that into brackets, as he always has a problem: the leg, the referee, the wind... He is still good for tennis, always makes good theatre".
:haha: You know you're a court jester when Bonga of all people calls you "good theatre".

·
Registered
33,355 Posts

The issue with Fognini is that he's got so much more to give yet just gives up like a bitch when things don't go his way. Considering his disgusting attitude the fact that he often does not try his ranking is incredible, he could be even better if he tried more often though!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts