Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wins his last slam, title #64, slam #14, at the same venue where he won his first slam. A full circle like Borg at RG, Sampras at the USO and Federer at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sampras hadn't won a title(of any kind!) in 2 years(!) when he won his final USO....

Pete was ranked #17 I think(he was seeded higher though)....

So apples to oranges....

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sampras hadn't won a title(of any kind!) in 2 years(!) when he won his final USO....

Pete was ranked #17 I think(he was seeded higher though)....

So apples to oranges....
Not everybody's decline is the same. I think Nadal's career is winding down but he still is fluking titles... Unlike Sampras in those 2 years. Perhaps because he is 28 and not 31. But he is pretty much heading towards retirement soon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not everybody's decline is the same. I think Nadal's career is winding down but he still is fluking titles... Unlike Sampras in those 2 years.
All I'm saying is if he's still fluking titles, he'll "fluke" a few more.....

Nadal has a long way to reach Pete's 2002 level....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I mean the guy's still leading the race for 2014...

Maybe the ATP has become utter sh*t.....

But that's the point, it's totally apples to oranges...

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I'm saying is if he's still fluking titles, he'll "fluke" a few more.....

Nadal has a long way to reach Pete's 2002 level....
That's because he is 28 not 31. But he is pretty much done, like Pete in 2002. He will retire younger than Pete.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean the guy's still leading the race for 2014...

Maybe the ATP has become utter sh*t.....

But that's the point, it's totally apples to oranges...
It has. Nadal has played mediocre all of 2014 but is the #1.:eek: Weakest era ever.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, if you feel so....

I'm the biggest Sampras fan, but even I would admit he was borderline journeyman for the last 18 months of his career(barring excellent showings in USO 01 & 02)....
But the competition is rubbish now, that's why Nadal is fluking titles despite his poor level. The competition was better in those years than in 2014.

·
Registered
242 Posts
But the competition is rubbish now, that's why Nadal is fluking titles despite his poor level. The competition was better in those years than in 2014.
Not really....

It was an older than Sampras(yet fitter Agassi), Hewitt, Safin & Rafter mostly.....

I'd still say the top guys today(Djokovic, Federer, Murray) are better "competition"....

Rafa's playing style is a problem, but his appetite for torture(like playing & losing repeatedly against Djokovic in Bo3 matches) I feel helps him in slams....

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Wins his last slam, title #64, slam #14, at the same venue where he won his first slam. A full circle like Borg at RG, Sampras at the USO and Federer at Wimbledon.
Of course he could pull a Sampras, but four years from now, winning RG 2018 after missing the whole 2017. season and first part of 2018, not winning a title since april 2016.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I doubt he will be active in 2018. His grinding will make him retire soon. In 2015.
Nadal can be a top 5 player playing just clay events 2016-2018 + Olympics and Davis cup if on clay, making 25-50 million bucks a year, resting for a half year between RG and South America.

Who's gonna make more points ? Divatrov, Grassray ?

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I see many players are not afraid of Nadal now even on clay ! Simon gave him a good fight,Murray who has not got a clay title.Nishikori who has 28 matches only on clay outplayed him.The players,coaches are watching Nadal and they noticed that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts