Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A commentator talked about Rafa experimenting with a new frame in Montecarlo and Rome, but the experiment was a failure and it caused him to lose about 10mph in his serve and FH. Did anybody else hear about that?

Nadal went back to his usual racket after that.

It kind of makes sense, based on what we have seen. It puts some of his losses in perspective. I'm not sure what the idea behind the change was though, especially since Nadal seems so averse to change (water bottles always alligned perfectly for example).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think he only used the new racquet in Barcelona. He used his old racquet for the masters and winter clay court tournaments.

After getting smoked by Fognini he realized it was a bad experiment.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he only used the new racquet in Barcelona. He used his old racquet for the masters and winter clay court tournaments.

Yes, you are correct that he used it in Barcelona. But the commentator mentioned a second tournament also.

Changing racket just before RG seems crazy, but I guess they must have had some rationale even if it didn't work out.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I just checked and he played Monte Carlo and Barcelona with the new racquet. He played Madrid and Rome (and everything pre-MC) with the old one.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked and he played Monte Carlo and Barcelona with the new racquet. He played Madrid and Rome (and everything pre-MC) with the old one.
OK, thank you. Hopefully he's adapted back to the usual frame.

I don't remember Nadal hitting so many bad balls before. Now the change of frames explains that. It makes perfect sense. Different balance, weight, center of gravity, and he was probably trying to compensate for the loss in power by overhitting. He hit some crazy shanks for a while LOL

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
A commentator talked about Rafa experimenting with a new frame in Montecarlo and Rome, but the experiment was a failure and it caused him to lose about 10mph in his serve and FH. Did anybody else hear about that?

Nadal went back to his usual racket after that.

It kind of makes sense, based on what we have seen. It puts some of his losses in perspective. I'm not sure what the idea behind the change was though, especially since Nadal seems so averse to change (water bottles always alligned perfectly for example).
Yes and that lack of confidence held him back from his usual EXPOSIVE forehand bombs. But you better believe it's coming back game by game. Djokovic will get the original Nadal in the QTRS. And that's not good for him...

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
All lies to create a narrative where none existed. He's just bad now. Like I said, decline's a bitch.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

He said that he would use the new racquet the next season 'cause there was not enough time to adjust to it.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
All lies to create a narrative where none existed. He's just bad now. Like I said, decline's a bitch.
Come on Slade, Its Sunday give a break. He changed Racket in MC to Babalot or whatever its called. He played decent. But no match for Nole.

In Barcelona it wasnt so good so he changed back to his old racket.
New racket had more power but less control, thats why so many balls where beeing stoped at the net from his BH.

New rackets needs time and best time is during offseason and not midseason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts