Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the losses to especially Dolgopolov, Ferrer, and now Almagro, and of course the Darcis loss, coupled with Djokovic ridiculous run post USO 2013 means that Nadal's #1 is in danger as soon as next week.

If Nadal loses in the Madrid Round of 16, 3rd round, and Djokovic wins the tournament, Djokovic would edge him for the #1 spot by 12,000 vs. 12,030 points.

It is an unlikely scenario, especially considering Nole's forearm, but it shows just how close the ranks are. Nadal's #1 could also easily be lost after Rome, as he again defends 1,000 points. Djokovic could easily be the #1 seed for RG.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yeah I realized that, but the main goal is RG. Don't care too much for #1.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Hopefully this gets decided at RG as it wouldn't be great to have the number one hold no slams from the last twelve months. Nadal deserves to lose the top ranking with his recent form, but I don't see anyone who deserves to take it from him quite yet.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
In the absence of top level play at the most important moments (slams), the blind and mindless pursuit to be #1 is not unlike trying to "look good on and off the court" like Fed.

Hopefully BB's helped Nole to understand how to manage his precious finite physical & emotional resources to peak for slams--that should be the focus; forget aboot year-end glory.

Getting the #1 back should be good news for Djokonauts but I'm skeptical that it will help Djoker's motivation levels though (his biggest ongoing challenge). Frankly, I'm vexed aboot it--terribly, terribly vexed.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It was always a possibility since before AO that there could be a new nº1 just before or just after RG.

With Rafas results in MC and Barcelona the %´s increseased. But we still dont know how Nole is so its a bit premature.

Looking back at ATPM1000, Rafa hasnt won a single M1000 since getting the nº1 spot. And if we look at 2014 and 2013 nº1 only won MC and Shanghai.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
They both play better at #2 than #1 anyway.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Which in turn will make Nole a slamless number 1. So, inb4 "computer number 1" references all the way.
That's what I was waiting for! Ranking Master polluting this thread calling Nole SLNO1, -> Weak Era.

Now merge this thread to endless era debates. ;)

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
That's what I was waiting for! Ranking Master polluting this thread calling Nole SLNO1, -> Weak Era.

Now merge this thread to endless era debates. ;)
Well, this was happening long before Nole, so why would it be a problem?

Connors in 1975 held the number 1 officially without winning any Slam. And he repeated the action in 1977.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Connors in 1975 held the number 1 officially without winning any Slam. And he repeated the action in 1977.
Absolutely no problem when he replaces undeserving no 1 who can't defend 500 under pressure.

Connors was vulture, Nole not-> Big difference.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
We are yet to see confirmation if Djokovic will play Madrid and Rome. As far as I know he is yet to pick a racket since the injury?

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Strategic tanking from Tio Toni to get Bald the #2 ranking before RG to ensure a victory.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

We are yet to see confirmation if Djokovic will play Madrid and Rome. As far as I know he is yet to pick a racket since the injury?
Strategic tanking from Tio Toni to get Bald the #2 ranking before RG to ensure a victory.
That what exactly I was thinking, if he loses top spot pressure suddenly goes to Nole and he'll fall on nets under pressure and Another Comeback award for Humbalito for coming back from astronomical decline.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Indeed, let's wait to see if he actually plays. He's not getting #1 without playing.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
i don't mind him losing the no.1 spot, i just mind him being slamless this year, which is very likely to happen :tape:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts