Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
22,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rafael Nadal: No-coaching rule during matches absurd

Rafael Nadal finds the no-coaching rule during matches “absurd” saying the reason why it was created many years ago no longer exists.

Coaches are not allowed to communicate with their players in any form during grand slam and ATP matches but Boris Becker recently revealed that he has his own way of sending signals to his charge, Novak Djokovic, while the Serb is on court.

Nadal was asked to weigh in on how he felt about the rule and while the Spaniard said he complies by it, he doesn’t find it applicable to the current times on tour.

“At the end, I’m going to be very frank with you. I don’t know what the story is (with Becker), but that rule of not being able to talk during the match, we all try to comply by it because it is a rule. But it’s an old regulation. It was logical many years ago because some players had coaches, and others didn’t, so this was protection for those who didn’t have coaches,” explained Nadal.

“But now everybody has a coach so today I don’t see any player in this circuit who doesn’t have a coach so it’s rather absurd that everyone pays for a coach to help him and then when you need him the most you can’t talk to him. But rules are rules. But if you ask me my opinion, I’ve given you my opinion now.”

Ironically, Thomaz Bellucci, Nadal's opening round opponent does not currently have a coach according to the ATP match notes.

http://sport360.com/article/international/38851/rafael-nadal-no-coaching-rule-during-matches-absurd

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Anything that stop me cheating, no good, no?

Reactions: Tom Paulman

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,921 Posts
Thing is they asked ATP if they wanted to has on court coaching. They said 'no'.
On-court coaching is available for women on WTA tour, but not grand slams.
So I don't see any issue.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Thing is they asked ATP if they wanted to has on court coaching. They said 'no'.
On-court coaching is available for women on WTA tour, but not grand slams.
So I don't see any issue.
Oncourt coaching is not the same thing as not been allowed any form of communication. I find the rule rather silly myself.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
He doesn´t even know what he is saying at times, and it probably won´t be because of his English.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Why is British media pushing this ridiculous thing. They are bothering every single player (except Murray of course) with these ridiculous questions. They are doing everything to distract other players and make it easier on Murray.

Disgusting.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Why is British media pushing this ridiculous thing. They are bothering every single player (except Murray of course) with these ridiculous questions. They are doing everything to distract other players and make it easier on Murray.

Disgusting.
Well, they can distract Nadal all they like as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
HOW IS THAT CHEATING MORONS? Is Boris Becker playing the match for Novak. Tennis needs to stop all this establishment crap. Like you can only wear white at Wimbledon. And making a deal out of hand guestures. Move with the times tennis establishment. In American sports they take a time out for coach talk.

Theres no cheating here at all. All the hand guestures in the world cant help you if yourd not good enough to beat your opponent.

This just another case of jealous GODAL haters looking for every excuse to talk down his greatness. Aint gonna happen. Greatest of alltime on clay second greatest of alltime overall. And better looking and richer than all his haters.

And lets not forget that H2H against Feds. Proving he is the best player ever. You csnt deal with that greatness TOUGH SHIT HATERS.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
:lol:

"But now everyone has a coach these days."

Thomaz Bellucci, Nadal's opening round opponent, does not have a coach according to the ATP Matchnotes.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,385 Posts
Shameless Dull, when will this guy retire?

Once you get on the court, you are supposed to figure out your opponent by yourself. That is why the rule exists, that is how the true tennis fans want it to be.

Disgusting.
I bet you would have attacked Nadal here if it wasn't for the recent Boris Becker scandal.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts