Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very good stuff from Nadal especially the serve. Didnt let the rain effect him much but he got a bit tight closing out the match.. I can see him winning this.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
:rocker2:

Best I've seen from Rafa this year in the 1st set.

The 2nd set was scrappier with all the delays, but good enough.

I cannot emphasise enough just how great he looks from the waist down in that Miami outfit :drool: :inlove: :hearts:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Vamos Rafa.

Hes playing well, I can see him going far.

·
Registered
35,682 Posts
:rocker2:

Best I've seen from Rafa this year in the 1st set.

The 2nd set was scrappier with all the delays, but good enough.

I cannot emphasise enough just how great he looks from the waist down in that Miami outfit :drool: :inlove: :hearts:
Almost as good as Stepanek from the chin up?

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Very solid display from Raf in the first set - don't think I've seen him play this well in a very long period of time. 100% second serve points won... :worship:

Second set was a little less brilliant - of course with the two rain interruptions, the hawkeye system-big screen not working (which very much annoyed Kiefer :lol:), it was more difficult to keep the momentum.

Very good job from Rafa, I see him reach the final here if he keeps up playing at this level. :yeah:

·
Registered
770 Posts
That last service game was tighter than any other point in the entire match, and yet there was no question who would win it. Same as the match. That first set, Rafa was on fire. Cracking winners, not hitting UE's. The intensity was great. The second set wasn't brilliant, but that rain delay messed with his rhythm for a return game or so, but he got it together quickly. There really was nothing Kiefer could do.

Congrats Rafa!

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Impressive 1st set, only 4 points lost on his serve.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Pretty bad from Kiefer until midway the 2nd set. After he got broken in the 2nd set, his serve % rose again and he even played a few decent points and got some good lucks due to that and some rare errors of Nadal. Overall just too good from Nadal, he ripped some brutal forehands past Kiefer for some points. In the whole scenario, it could have been worse for Kiefer, too. I'm not that disappointed about this match.

Good luck for the rest of tournament, Rafa!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Great first set from Nadal, the second wasn't quite as good probably due to the delays but still overall a very solid performance from him. It's gonna take someone playing extremely well to take him out.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Very solid display from Raf in the first set - don't think I've seen him play this well in a very long period of time. 100% second serve points won... :worship:

Second set was a little less brilliant - of course with the two rain interruptions, the hawkeye system-big screen not working (which very much annoyed Kiefer :lol:), it was more difficult to keep the momentum.

Very good job from Rafa, I see him reach the final here if he keeps up playing at this level. :yeah:

see what happens when he takes care of his serve. it allows him to relax and return better. there is less pressure. being a little more assault minded goes a long way on hard courts.

22 winners and just 15 unforced errors. rain delays threw his momentum off or those stats might have been better.

his royal vamosity (aka the Clay Monster) lives.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Almost as good as Stepanek from the chin up?
:ras: He's delicious. But I take points off for that hideous bandana :( Anyway, it is hard to concentrate on his other attributes when he wears white shorts. Especially when they get damp :inlove: :hearts:

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
There really was nothing Kiefer could do.
A good start would be not letting his 1st serve % drop to something like (I believe it was) 33% as he did until the point at which he was broken in the 2nd set. And he has to bring this forehand down the line earlier and more often. His backhand wasn't much of a problem today, overall it held up sufficiently against Nadal's forehand spins. Forehand was a bigger error weakness.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
see what happens when he takes care of his serve. it allows him to relax and return better. there is less pressure. being a little more assault minded goes a long way on hard courts.
Yes, and I might now conclude that his 8 aces in his first match were indeed the result of his serve having been improved. That's very nice to see! :D

Bodes very well for his chances to win this tournament.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Now that's what I like to see. ;)

Well done Rafa, great first set and good to see the delays and such didn't have much of an affect on you. Mathieu next, that should be good.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
In the whole scenario, it could have been worse for Kiefer, too. I'm not that disappointed about this match.
The easy forehand errors annoyed me, though.
And it's funny how the commentators said that he tried to hit the bh when he clearly went for the fh shots.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts