Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should Nadal lose at this particular tournament for any reasons (injury, upset, or a loss to Djokovic), will this be a huge mental setback in his quest to break Federer's grand slam record?

Nadal is 27 years old. He's at a great age for men's tennis; however, with that said lately he's looked as if his body is becoming more and more taxed and the back-related injury at the Australian Open didn't look too great at this point in his career.

I'm confident he will continue to win slams. What I'm not so confident is whether or not he can break the record. Roland Garros is his bread and butter and every other slam tournament involves much more tremendous effort for him compared to this one. To take that away from him this season, would mean that he's not guaranteed to win Wimbledon and U.S. Open. He'd have his work cut out.

With that said, even if he were to potentially end the year with a single slam or 0 slams. I think he can still bounce back. Time is starting to run out but I think he'll make it on time to eventually break the record.

But what do you guys think on a serious note, will losing Roland Garros really be the nail to his coffin?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
He will not win another slam if he loses FO. If he wins, I expect him to get a second win and vulture moonball a few more slam wins

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Overreaction. Wether nadal wins RG or not he is likely to keep adding slams on his tally. MTF is always a parody of reality. If rafa would have won that AO fi al match everybody would be talking about how he is going to win about every GS left on this year

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
After last year I thought Nadal would for sure breaks Fed's record. Then at the AO he had a chance to win a second career slam and equal Sampras, which would already have put him close to Fed, given Fed has no second career slam. But then there is this massive upset and everything changes. All of a sudden Nadal is mentally crushed and his confidence shattered. He missed this massive opportunity. Now nothing seems certain anymore. He needs to bounce back fast I feel by winning the FO, or he will not catch Fed. I think this FO is big for him. If he doesn't win it he won't win a slam this year, and I don't think he is winning it. It will be a huge blow to him if he doesn't win it. It will really spell the end for him. I think if that happens he can bounce back to win one more FO, but that would be it.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Nadull was supposed to win the AO, they went to a lot of effort to get Sampras out of bed. He has no chance to break Fed's record anymore. Now we're just watching the collapse that true tennis fans have deserved for so long.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It all depends to who and where he looses.

Anything less then a Finals loss to Nole is unexceptable.

If he doesnt win FO14 will he be stuck at 13? Maybe. Or come stronger next year.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
depends massively on Novak. if he keeps his domination it will be hard for Rafa to win 4 more GS let alone 5. forget about Wimbledon. but the other 3 are doable still but again, depends on Novak. of course provided rafa is 100%

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
After Nadal losses at RG14, he will take the rest of the year off.

He will return in his cave and plot a comeback at AO15

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUMP!

Well what do you guys think now?

The guy has made back to back finals again.

It is almost as if finals are expected for Nadal with the exception of Wimbledon in recent years.

Nadal-Djokovic again. Do you guys think now that he's made another final of a grand slam, that there shouldn't be any worries even if he were to lose to Djokovic in a few days?

I think now that he's reached this final (especially after the back issue at AO), win or lose, his opportunities still look good enough to get back on track toward the GOAT mission of breaking Fed's record.

I could see him winning here, taking it easy on Wimbledon, then putting focus back on trying to win one of U.S. Open or the 2015 Australian Open. He just has to take some reasonable pressure off the back, knees, and feet.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
depends massively on Novak. if he keeps his domination it will be hard for Rafa to win 4 more GS let alone 5. forget about Wimbledon. but the other 3 are doable still but again, depends on Novak. of course provided rafa is 100%
I don't think Novak will be the problem really, Nadal usually handles him well at slams. for general overall title count (Masters 1000's and such), yes, Djokovic may be an issue. but Nadal plays better at slams than regular events, and Novak seems to play slightly better at regular events than slams

·
Registered
865 Posts
Fedtards always try to worry about weak era winners' record. That worry clearly show up in every post.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would hope Rafa or someone else end Fed's non sense record as he is only the GOAT on numbers. and end their pain and worries of them, which will push Fedtards to madness for another 5 years.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't think Novak will be the problem really, Nadal usually handles him well at slams. for general overall title count (Masters 1000's and such), yes, Djokovic may be an issue. but Nadal plays better at slams than regular events, and Novak seems to play slightly better at regular events than slams
If Djokovic isnt a problem for Dull, than who is?!?:spit:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Whether he wins this time or not, he will not give up.
Come on he is a professional players who do this for living and like every pros fights for every grand slam title.

He is not a MTF member speculating on gossips.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
He'll get over it. Losing to Novak in a final would not be a huge shock - I'm sure he's mentally prepared for that. AO was much worse where no matter what he says he must have half thought he had it in the bag - that affected him far more. Now that he seems to be finding his game again and is relatively healthy, he'll still have chances for the next few years. Who cares if he doesn't reach 17? Losing to Novak at RG won't kill him - he came back from 2011 and again that was much more unexpected. MTF overreaction.

If anything consider what a loss would do to Novak more - he'd have lost the last 3 slam finals he was in, potentially 4 if you count last year's RG SF as a de-facto final.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
But what do you guys think on a serious note, will losing Roland Garros really be the nail to his coffin?
of course he'll continue to win slams.. rafa's had tough slam final losses before and bounced back to collect more slam trophies every time..

case in point:

after that string of 3-consecutive slam final losses in '11-'12 to nole, especially that epic '12 ao final, similar doomsday predictions were bandied about and yet he still went on to win the french open that year.. in fact, he's won 3 more slam titles since that tough '12 ao loss..

with rafa, it's best not to allow mere doomsday speculations to get the best of your common sense after one loss..

·
Administrator
6,070 Posts
Tennis's legacy would be enhanced, that is for sure. If Djokovic defeats Nadal (especially if it's a good, or at least relatively close match) it would eclipse the Nadal-Federer 06-08 Wimbledon rivalry as the GOAT tournament rivalry.

Nadal's record will obviously be better off if he keeps winning FO from now until the heat death of the universe, but his clay legacy as the greatest ever is secure even if he drops an FO now to Djokovic (and in fact, I think that story would almost add to his notability, the same way the Fedal rivalry (at least from 05-09) adds to the notability of the Federer era more than if Federer-Roddick was the key rivalry of that period...).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts