Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Re: Nadal slams tournament balls

Nadals on fire. Media GOAT.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

He may be right or he may be wrong about it causing shoulder problems. If the standard ball was a heavy ball it may cause even more severe problems because now you're hitting a heavy ball every week.

One this I do know is that surfaces are already homogenized and homogenizing balls may just be the next step. Players like Nadal like for things to be the same so they can get into their consistent rhythms. Ball homogenization may not only help Nadal's shoulder, it may also help his game.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

Awh, he just answers the silly questions he gets asked honestly. He's not really bitching, just saying how he feels. I mean, it's not like he's calling pressers himself to "slam" everything he doesn't like in the sport.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

:haha: Nadal is the crankiest we've ever seen him lately. Those losses to Djokovic and the others this season must really hurt. We're used to seeing the happy-go-lucky guy-what happened to him? :unsure:

I do think it makes sense to keep balls the same during certain swings of the calender though :shrug:

·
Banned
18,509 Posts

Haters swarming like cockroaches over every little comment Nadal makes. NID.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

His honesty is refreshing, at least he's not bullshitting like he was previously. Even if his reputation goes down, he's keeping it real, and deserves more respect for that. And he's obviously right.

Jonathan, you should include Murray in the thread title, because not doing so, you know this thread will turn into a flame war.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
wow why is Nadal bitching so much lately? making up any excuse to attract attention away from his poor form?

i love Rafael but this all needs to stop, if he doesn't stop whining and being an attention whore he may lose many fans including me

·
Your visions will happen
48,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gotta admit, I do like this more refreshing and open Nadal.

I think it has to do with that book of his coming out where he pretty much bared his soul so now he feels as though he really has nothing to hide and can be himself.

As for the actual issue, he is right of course. But Penn and Wilson and all the other ball companies don't give a shit about what is in the best interest of the players or the quality of the tennis, all they care about is what makes the most money.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
I did see Murray agreed with him, and the demand doesn't seem outrageous, but these complaints from Nadal are coming a mile a minute and always when has an off day or gets upset.

Then again, the courts changing so drastically from one tournament to another(even though they are all hard courts or clay courts in a given season) should be as much or more of an injury risk as changing balls right? Aren't different conditions week in week out just part of tennis?

·
Banned
21,935 Posts

His honesty is refreshing, at least he's not bullshitting like he was previously. Even if his reputation goes down, he's keeping it real, and deserves more respect for that. And he's obviously right.

Jonathan, you should include Murray in the thread title, because not doing so, you know this thread will turn into a flame war.
its refreshing to a point but when its all negative its just a little draining and it does kind of come of whiny.

and, yeah it would have been nice to have murray in the title, seeing as how for some reason my stupid computer wont open the link so all i have to go by is title.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
I agree, Misty. I can't say this new-open Nadal is actually a positive individual or someone that people will look at and want to follow look up to. The always positive, sheepish Rafa has gone away, with a cranky-ish Nadal in his place. But I can overlook that because not many players are actually willing to say anything whatsoever and are bullshitters, and I don't respect that.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
:rolleyes:

Comments like this are why people think tennis is a sissy sport. One of the best "natural" athletes of the sport with bulging biceps and multiple Slams is going around complaining about the balls because it might hurt his shoulder.

I'm sure hurting his shoulder would be the ball's fault....not the ridiculous way that he swings his racket to hit said ball.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I gotta admit, I do like this more refreshing and open Nadal.

I think it has to do with that book of his coming out where he pretty much bared his soul so now he feels as though he really has nothing to hide and can be himself.

As for the actual issue, he is right of course. But Penn and Wilson and all the other ball companies don't give a shit about what is in the best interest of the players or the quality of the tennis, all they care about is what makes the most money.
sometimes it is better to show less than more. showing that he wants to dominate and boss around the tennis organization is not the right way to go about it. complaining about taxes, tennis balls, scheduling, etc etc etc. i like the humble Nadal much more than the demanding one, regardless of which one is more at his core... and seriously TENNIS ball has much less affect on the body than for example, the change of SURFACE.... getting a bit excessive these days, the complaints

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

Awh, he just answers the silly questions he gets asked honestly. He's not really bitching, just saying how he feels. I mean, it's not like he's calling pressers himself to "slam" everything he doesn't like in the sport.
Normaly I would agree with you, but earlier this week Uncle Toni had this to say in the spanish press:

Además, hay otro tema que me choca. Resulta que disputamos un circuito donde la mayoría de los jugadores se lesiona. No es normal que un gran número tenga lesiones. Mira aquí Carlos Moyà, que tuvo dos lesiones graves en su carrera, primero en la espalda y después otra ahora al final. Del Potro, Murray, Tsonga, Nabaldian, Rafael... Te hablo de los mejores. Van demasiado al límite. Después, la superficie te ayuda muy poco, porque daña el impacto. Además, la bola va demasiado rápido. Es complicado. ¿Que no es fácil cambiarlo? Claro que es difícil.
Translation: There is another issue that strikes me. The statistic shows that the majority of players get injured. It is not normal to have so many injuries. Look at Carlos Moya who had two serious injuries in his career. Del Potro, Murray, Tsonga, Nabaldian, Rafael ... I'm talking about the best. They play too close to their limits. Then the surface helps you very little, because the impact is very hard on the body . In addition, the ball goes (flies) too fast. It's complicated. You say it's difficult to change things? Of course it's difficult.

Sounds to me like tio Nadull and Rafito are lobbying for big, slow, high bouncing balls to be used in each atp event.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

Haters swarming like cockroaches over every little comment Nadal makes. NID.
Yeah, that never happened to Roger :angel:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Doesn't adding Murray to the thread title just add fuel to any on-going fires? Hum.. better add Roddick for a bit more fun.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
It's a legit complaint imo - tennis has generally moved towards using the same ball for a few weeks/months in a row, for this very reason.

Pre-Wimbledon: all use the same ball as Wim (except Newport).

Pre-Aus: all the 250s use the same ball as Aus (except Chennai).

Pre-Roland Garros: RG switched to Dunlop in 06, and all the clay masters followed in 2010, as well as Barcelona and a whole heap of the 250s. Of course, RG then switched again this year (moneymoneymoneymoney)..... to the universal disapproval of players.

Pre-US: the two masters use Penn, but the 250s use the Wilson UO ball. However, Washington switched Wilson>Penn this year, so the big three events are using the same ball, and the players then have a week off to adapt to Wilson (unless they play Winston, which uses Wilson .... Isner made comments about the major diff there this year)

Also, the fact it's Murray and Nadal complaining makes sense, cos they were in Tokyo last week where they play with an absolute cannonball - thus the difference is most apparent. Melzer and a few others made the same comments last year after Tokyo.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts