Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is interesting to me that no one brought this up. In the 1st set, when Nadal was down 30-40 in the 4th game, Scoville dumped a forehand into the net. Nadal immediately did his trademark fist pump and single leg hop. If Hewitt had done the same thing with his "come on!", everyone on this board would be all over him.

Double standards anyone? :rolleyes:
 

·
Comparisons are Odious
Joined
·
10,541 Posts
Maybe....................It doesn't seem as offensive as Hewitt's crap. Or it could also be that Hewitt acts like an ass on and off the court, so it's really hard to cut him some slack. However, Nadal seems like a nice person and the fist pump is not the same thing as shouting "come on" to your opponent telling him to make a mistake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mangoes said:
Maybe....................It doesn't seem as offensive as Hewitt's crap. Or it could also be that Hewitt acts like an ass on and off the court, so it's really hard to cut him some slack. However, Nadal seems like a nice person and the fist pump is not the same thing as shouting "come on" to your opponent telling him to make a mistake.
The point is celebrating an opponent's error is bad whether you use a "come on" or a fist pump. Just because Nadal seems nicer than Hewitt doesn't excuse his behavior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
rofe said:
The point is celebrating an opponent's error is bad whether you use a "come on" or a fist pump. Just because Nadal seems nicer than Hewitt doesn't excuse his behavior.
It's an interesting debate. John McEnroe and Ted Robinson were disagreeing about this last night during the Nadal/Jenkins match. Mac doesn't think it's bad sportsmanship for either Hewitt or Nadal. He argues that in the heat of battle, it's perfectly fine to celebrate winning a point - even if it comes as a result of an opponent's error.

Ted wasn't as forgiving, and I see his point. In this gentlemanly sport, I can understand why some would see it as bad form.

I'm very much on the fence in that I understand both sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,139 Posts
It's different. Hewitt was doing it all the time at the Aussie this year. Hewitt would do it at 1-1 15-15 in the first set. Nadal did the fist pump/vamos at a crucial point in the match after a long rally where Nadal ran a forehand down and came up with an amazing get. Players can do that sorta stuff after at a crucial point in the match winner or no. There is no double standard, Nadal doesn't do it to intimidate his opponents, he does it because he's really excited and he's showing it.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
Chloe said:
I'm patiently awaiting the day that somebody spits at Nadal.
Or imply something that could be deemed as racist.

Note: I don't think Hewitt is a racist, before people try and attack me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
Or imply something that could be deemed as racist.

Note: I don't think Hewitt is a racist, before people try and attack me.
Or upset a gay support group.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
Chloe said:
Or upset a gay support group.
Or the mentally challenged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
OBVIOUSLY.....I think most people were just too jealous of Hewitt.
As for Nadal being nice, gimme a break:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Fumus said:
It's different. Hewitt was doing it all the time at the Aussie this year. Hewitt would do it at 1-1 15-15 in the first set. Nadal did the fist pump/vamos at a crucial point in the match after a long rally where Nadal ran a forehand down and came up with an amazing get. Players can do that sorta stuff after at a crucial point in the match winner or no. There is no double standard, Nadal doesn't do it to intimidate his opponents, he does it because he's really excited and he's showing it.
good point.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
Tennis_Passion said:
OBVIOUSLY.....I think most people were just too jealous of Hewitt.
As for Nadal being nice, gimme a break:rolleyes:
Yes, clearly that was the problem. They were jealous of Hewitt, so they spat at him and called him names. No jealously for Nadal, though.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
Chloe said:
Is there anybody left for Hewitt to offend?
I better watch myself, then again this is the thing Hewitt isn't even in my most top 10 disliked players, but all I am saying is that there are certain things he has said and those implications, whether he meant it or not and stuff Nadal hasn't said or done and yes I know a lot of Catalan speakers who would tell me if he did, that is the main difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Their antiques on court look similar to me. Both are not going to change. The biggest jerks at junior tournaments are parents. In majority of cases the behaviour like this was installed and encouraged by family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
I better watch myself, then again this is the thing Hewitt isn't even in my most top 10 disliked players, but all I am saying is that there are certain things he has said and those implications, whether he meant it or not and stuff Nadal hasn't said or done and yes I know a lot of Catalan speakers who would tell me if he did, that is the main difference.
Well I'm with you on Hewitt... just pointing out that the comparisons between Hewitt and Nadal pretty much end after their pump their fist. It really should be obvious why Hewitt cops more flack. And no, it has nothing to do with Hewitt's success, because Nadal has had an awful nice year and not too much has been said about him.
 
1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Top