Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
20,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

this is going to be the first global tennis event in my country, and while I'm no fan of either player and would have loved to see Roger playing instead, I'm going to sacrifice support the event by attending :grin2:

here's hoping the crowd and response to the event will help make a future tournament a possibility :music:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Since it is to be played in a Sports Hall I take it to mean it is an indoor hard court match. All I have to say is that Rafa must seriously want to visit Saudi Arabia because indoor hard court is his worse playing surface.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
RAFA fans seem to be unhappy that he's going to KSA, and I can understand.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
@Mae Or really love $$$$, lots of $$$$.
/images/MensTennisForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png /images/MensTennisForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

I wonder if they tried to go after Roger for this event. It would make sense since he is already training during the off-season in Dubai.
Roger is who they should have gotten to play Novak.
Especially if it is indoor hard. And with the amount of cash that the Saudi Royal Family has from their oil (estimated value over 1 trillion dollar fortune) they obviously could pay Roger many times over to be their professional coach/player/ballboy.

Which leads me to think they targeted Roger but he declined. Interesting decision as he loves Dubai and played in Istanbul not that long ago. I suspect (although obviously can’t verify) that Roger declined because of the Saudi’s links to state-sponsored terrorism. We all know how much Roger cares about his image and how PR-savvy he is.

Before anyone gets up in arms, I am JUST speculating

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Roger is who they should have gotten to play Novak.
Nah, friendship between Rogie and Nole is tight enough. I'm afraid that Novak already has a soft spot for Fed, like Rafa does (look what happened to Fedal in 2017).

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I don't know what to make of it, fans in SA seem really excited, and we shouldn't forget that there are fans there. But do they really want to accept money from SA? With all of their human rights issues? But then the tour plays in China, and Dubai etc, so is this much different?

I have seen his fans ask him not to go, but beyond thinking he is mad for playing on indoor hard, I'm not sure how I feel tbh. I'm not feeling the righteous anger that some people are, you can't write off a whole country. I wonder if I'm biased because it's Rafa, but even if it was Novak and someone else, I don't think I'd be really angry over it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I don't know what to make of it, fans in SA seem really excited, and we shouldn't forget that there are fans there. But do they really want to accept money from SA? With all of their human rights issues? But then the tour plays in China, and Dubai etc, so is this much different?

I have seen his fans ask him not to go, but byond thinking he is mad for playing on indoor hard, I'm not sure how I feel tbh.
I think this is why Rogie isn’t playing in this, as I bet they tried to get him. He likely didn’t want the PR hit to his image from taking money from a state that sponsors terrorism

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have seen his fans ask him not to go, but byond thinking he is mad for playing on indoor hard, I'm not sure how I feel tbh.
It's an exhibition, so he doesn't really care if he loses - he's not there to win, necessarily.
I guess he and Djokovic were probably paid about $1 million each to play there (pure speculation on my part - nothing to back this up with whatsoever), and that's an offer that's difficult to refuse.

But I agree with you about the ethical consideration. I'm not sure what to think of it myself. I guess we should be happy for the Saudi fans who otherwise would not have a chance to watch these guys play.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
But do they really want to accept money from SA? With all of their human rights issues? But then the tour plays in China, and Dubai etc, so is this much different?
Pecunia non olet.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
But do they really want to accept money from SA? With all of their human rights issues? But then the tour plays in China, and Dubai etc, so is this much different?
Pecunia non olet.
To the Boat and Goat, sure of course. But to their fans and the media it might be different, which is why I think we don’t see the Coat playing in this

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
It's an exhibition, so he doesn't really care if he loses - he's not there to win, necessarily.
I guess he and Djokovic were probably paid about $1 million each to play there (pure speculation on my part - nothing to back this up with whatsoever), and that's an offer that's difficult to refuse.

But I agree with you about the ethical consideration. I'm not sure what to think of it myself. I guess we should be happy for the Saudi fans who otherwise would not have a chance to watch these guys play.
Under Rafa's tweet, there is a mixture of people telling him to read a newspaper, and people from Saudi who are excited about them visiting their country. Someone even told him to visit their fav restaurant, it is really nice for them. But... the other issues are there. A lot of the criticism would be assuaged if they both announced that a decent % was going to their charitable foundations. At the moment it is just an announcement, perhaps a statement on why they were going (besides $$$$) would have been better. Some BS about bringing the sport to new people or something.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
To the Boat and Goat, sure of course. But to their fans and the media it might be different, which is why I think we don’t see the Coat playing in this
PRoat seems a good substitute for Coat.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts