Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Rafa's third time here, if I remember correctly. Fourth, 08 Olympics is his first.
He wants to visit the Great Wall this year.

Novak has a record of 20-0 here.
The Chinese saying reads "Four China Open trophies are not enough."

This is the head of marking explaining dissing Federer's absence.
He is afraid Roger won't contribute much to tickets sales because of his "unstableness" this tear.

Follow the news here.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
^ I'd guess it's down to money. Beijing has something like three times the prize money as Tokyo and their appearance fees are no doubt also significantly larger. Being based in one country for your East Asia swing is also probably easier to handle logistically.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I hope they don't breathe in too much smog

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
I'm surprised about Novak. Given the Uniqlo sponsorship, I thought he'd make an effort to play Tokyo.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Djokovic is of course no surprise, but I was hoping Nadal would either go to Tokyo or skip this week altogether.

Is this a reliable source? Any western media confirming this?
Weibo is twitter in China and if the info is correct, the guy is the director of sales/marketing of the China Open Tournament. Basically, what the tweet said was before, Federer did not want to stay in China for two weeks and now, with his appearance fee similar to Nadal and he may not be able to go deep in the draw, the tournament thinks he does not worth the investment.

And my translation is at a much milder tone than the tweet in Chinese :eek:

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
This is fine so long as he manages the rest of his post USO schedule well.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
No surprise here nole always plays Beijing

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Weibo is twitter in China and if the info is correct, the guy is the director of sales/marketing of the China Open Tournament. Basically, what the tweet said was before, Federer did not want to stay in China for two weeks and now, with his appearance fee similar to Nadal and he may not be able to go deep in the draw, the tournament thinks he does not worth the investment.

And my translation is at a much milder tone than the tweet in Chinese :eek:
Thanks for the info. :hatoff:

Shocking lack of respect shown for Fed in that statement. Wonder if the guy didn't think the comment would leave China?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
The money must be very good to attract Nadal back again, playing there last year was a huge mistake on his part.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Vulture gonna vulture.

Djokovic is playing there for the fans, like every year.
Nadal is going there only for the big fat $$$.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,399 Posts
The money provided by the tournament for Nadal's appearance is I'm sure not the only reason why he chose to go there again..Thinking long term and in particular with regards to endorsement sales there is so much more potential there compared to any other country in the world that you would have to be crazy to avoid China (heck even the USA has accepted that)..

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Vulture gonna vulture.

Djokovic is playing there for the fans, like every year.
Nadal is going there only for the big fat $$$.
This is a big paying 500 with a good field the week before a Masters in the same country so no one who goes there is vulturing, but it's even more absurd to accuse Nadal of vulturing here considering that the conditions don't favor him and his worst matchup owns the event. And Djokovic ain't playing there for the fans: it's the big paycheck, significant points and good form for Shanghai at an event that past history says he'll win comfortably that brings him back year after year.

The money provided by the tournament for Nadal's appearance is I'm sure not the only reason why he chose to go there again..Thinking long term and in particular with regards to endorsement sales there is so much more potential there compared to any other country in the world that you would have to be crazy to avoid China (heck even the USA has accepted that)..
He's already sure to play Shanghai and Japan is a massive economy that happens to be far richer than China per capita. If endorsements were your main motive, you'd be well advised to play Tokyo and Shanghai during the East Asia swing.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The money must be very good to attract Nadal back again, playing there last year was a huge mistake on his part.
I doubt it. He managed last year's Asian swing perfectly to get hold of that No.1 ranking back. It is exactly in Beijing that he got it back. Had he not played it. Novak would be No.1 until AO, I guess.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Rafa has bad memories of Tokyo

so would I if I were him, at least it was over quickly :shrug:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts