Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It depends on what meaning of the word "offensive" he is referring to. Nadal is not very good in English, no?

(1) Nadal is correct if he by offensive mean: causing someone to feel resentful, upset, or annoyed.
"the allegations made are deeply offensive to us"

Offensive equivalents: insulting, rude, derogatory, disrespectful, hurtful, abusive, objectionable, displeasing, annoying, irritating, uncivil, impolite, crude.

(2) Nadal is incorrect if he by offensive means: actively aggressive; attacking.
"offensive operations against the insurgents"

Nadal is a moonballer who returns 5 meters behind the baseline and vultures points on opponents errors.. That is called de-fensive, not of-fensive.

·
|
15,332 Posts
Rafa's forehand was always generating winners, so even at his most defensive, he was an offensive player.
He was also good at transitioning to the net throughout his career.
One could argue that 2015 was the exception, because his forehand was a lot weaker due to a lack of confidence.....but he won all of his Round Robin matches at the 2015 World Tour Finals (including wins over Wawrinka, Murray and Ferrer), so even at his worst he was offensive.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Nadal with his firepower and movement can be offensive even from the stands. Plus, he is objectively the most exciting player ever. People who are calling him moonballer, boring, pusher are either haters or they simply don't know what they talk about.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about always but sure he was offensive when he bumped into Rosol at change of ends or wanted to ban Bernardes from umpiring his matches.
I don't know about always but sure he was offensive when he bumped into Rosol at change of ends or wanted to ban Bernardes from umpiring his matches.
I like Bernandes. He is real people in the world. Something from 30s... Great guy. He like Diego?)

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Reactions: Fedjokodal

·
Registered
7,987 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Dull can’t handle it when an umpire doesn’t let him get away with his cheating gamesmanship.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Nadull ain’t offensive lmao, if you wanna see real offensive tennis, watch Federer or Wawrinka. Dull moonballing from 4 miles behind the baseline and running nonstop to get to everything however, is offensive to the viewers eyes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nadal has always been the best aggresive shotmaker on tour. But some people here just arbitrarily define aggresiveness as playing serve&volley, or are confused by the fact that his defense used to be superb as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It depends on what meaning of the word "offensive" he is referring to. Nadal is not very good in English, no?

(1) Nadal is correct if he by offensive mean: causing someone to feel resentful, upset, or annoyed.
"the allegations made are deeply offensive to us"

Offensive equivalents: insulting, rude, derogatory, disrespectful, hurtful, abusive, objectionable, displeasing, annoying, irritating, uncivil, impolite, crude.

(2) Nadal is incorrect if he by offensive means: actively aggressive; attacking.
"offensive operations against the insurgents"

Nadal is a moonballer who returns 5 meters behind the baseline and vultures points on opponents errors.. That is called de-fensive, not of-fensive.
That's Novak Djokovič if you didn't know.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Nadal is a defensive player. I mean, look at his court positioning! Look where he receives serve from!

That's not a criticism, it's just a facile observation. F*ck me, if I'd won 20,000 matches on clay, I'd be defensive, and I wouldn't give two s*its what anyone said about me!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nadal’s an attritional player, more defensive generally with a few exceptions. Pretty much the same with Djokovic. Both play low-risk tennis building on small advantages to force errors, just in different ways. Similarly with both, they’re capable of turning defence into offence with brilliant shot-making.

Nadal can play offensive tennis but it’s usually when he has a conspicuous advantage, psychological or score-wise. People tend to appreciate offensive tennis more because it gives the immediate impression of superiority and skill.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Nadal once said he always was offensive. It's truth or he just think so?
As he has explained in his book long ago, it was very important to be patient and keep the rallies going, waiting for 85% chance shot after twenty exchanges instead of only 70% after 5-10 exchange, and tire Federer Djokovic & co. out.

Since this kind of an opportunistic game was physically very demanding he also needed 35-40 seconds between the points, bending the time rule regularly against the top players.

If this is a definition of an offensive tactics then he was the most offensive player in history.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts