Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Olympic Men’s tennis event looks set to be a highly competitive contest, but it has suffered a blow with the Spaniard, Rafael Nadal, being forced to pull out.

It was sad news to hear the champion would not be at the games in London to defend his title, with his problems with a persistent knee injury ending his chances of playing.

Nadal had been second favourite to win the gold in the tennis odds on Betfair, behind Novak Djokovic.

The 26-year-old has been battling with tendinitis in his knee for some time; it hindered his chances at Wimbledon, as he crashed out in the early stages of the SW19 tournament.

Listening to the comments made by Nadal, you can clearly see how much the Olympics means to him. He told the Spanish Federation website: "It is one of the saddest moments of my career.

"I am not able to compete at the Olympics in London and therefore will not be traveling as planned with the Spanish delegation.

"I have to think about my colleagues. I cannot be selfish and I have to think of the good of Spanish sport, especially Spanish tennis, and let a teammate who is better prepared to compete.

"I've waited until the final moment of my preparation and my training, but I cannot do it."

Nadal has been quick to put the disappointment of his Olympics absence behind him and will now be looking ahead to the Toronto Masters in Canada, next month.

Getting some early practice on the hard court in North America will be of great benefit to the Spanish star and, as long has he can control his knee problems, he will be a serious contender in tournaments for the rest of the season.

If one Olympic event is not enough to satiate your hunger for sport, visit the Team GB football page on Betfair: http://betting.betfair.com/betting/2012-olympics/football/

1 - 1 of 1 Posts