Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting comments from Nadal on surface speed. Basically, he inidcates surface speed is irrelevant if you're timing the ball correctly. Andre Agassi expressed similar sentiments in his book, basically saying that he didn't try to change anything about his game for grass courts --which is why he never practiced on them -- because he knew all he needed to do was adjust his timing, and he'd be fine.

“The problem with the players is always the same,” he said when he was asked whether the grass was too fast or too slow. “If I am playing very well, I see the grass slow. If I am playing bad, I see the grass very quick. That is the same for me and the rest of the players.”

“You arrive, for example, to a tournament in Montreal that is playing very fast. I remember 2005 I was there. I had an unbelievable feeling, I was playing great before I arrive to the tournament. I arrive to the locker room, everybody was saying the court was playing that fast. I didn’t feel the court was that fast. It’s always about the personal feeling of the people.”
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/06/grass-court-state-mind/51858/#.U6vLgfldVQ0

·
Registered
972 Posts
Cue Fedtard conspiracy theory that Nadal is lying and that Toni has slowed Wimbledon courts to slower than RG. NID.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Well, this is obvious.

When you're playing well, you feel that you can do anything with your shots. Your body moves exactly how your brain wants it. And if you're not particularly slow, court speed will matter very little.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
I compare this situattion like baseball. Some players say the see the ball clearer , bigger and slower. But thats just something in their minds because all baseballs are thrown at over 90mph.

The same can be aplied here. If healthy and good rythym its always good for you.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I compare this situattion like baseball. Some players say the see the ball clearer , bigger and slower. But thats just something in their minds because all baseballs are thrown at over 90mph.

The same can be aplied here. If healthy and good rythym its always good for you.
I can definitely the see the parallel. And what Nadal is saying is sort of obvious, but also an interesting way of thinking about it. Don't change your game, but get your timing right.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The every time Nadal survives through hard hitters Grass is slow, only interpretation I've

1 - 7 of 7 Posts