Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I´m sure MTF needs another Nadal thread like a fish needs a bicycle, but anyways...

An unique player the Mallorcan native.

Very impressive mentally when playing as the "underdog".

Rafael Nadal plays the perfect defence in tennis. He makes very few mistakes, he gets to more balls than any other player in history of the game, and plays with very high net clearance. He also has the weapons to attack when given the opportunity. Will make the passing shot when asked to. Serve is a little lacking, but it gets the job done normally, together with his groundies.

Physically he has the quite unique combination of
- most muscular on tour, heavy body build, can hit heavy balls back with lots of spin
- best stamina on tour, will run endlessly
- quickest feet on tour, in his prime almost impossible to hit a winner against him

How this is possible you might ask? He`s one in a billion, that`s for sure.

The combination of these three factors (mental, physical, playstyle) is, imho, what makes him great and at times unbeatable, especially on clay.

Some pictures

From FO 2009 R4.

Don`t know when this was taken but it speaks for it self about impeccable conditioning.

Downsides: His serv is not the best for hard courts. His playstyle is also very taxing on his knees, which leads to injuries. But he`s always managed to come back stronger.

I`m sure he will this time too.

Get well soon Rafa :worship:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
His serve is actually the best on tour. It's just that he uses it to construct points, not close his eyes and hit it as hard as he can.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts

This picture freaks me out. The look in his eyes as well as the muscles; he looks like a Street Fighter character. Interesting the square on his back though (of muscle knots I assume).

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
What square on his back? His lat?

A lot of tennis players would look like that in that position. It still amuses me that people think Nadal is some kind of beast.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This picture freaks me out. The look in his eyes as well as the muscles; he looks like a Street Fighter character. Interesting the square on his back though (of muscle knots I assume).
I know. The size, the dryness (very low fat-%), the huge and clear cut latissimus dorsi, big triceps, the six pack, the popping veins, overall just stunning conditioning.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
What square on his back? His lat?

A lot of tennis players would look like that in that position. It still amuses me that people think Nadal is some kind of beast.

This is probably a recent picture, you can see his bald on the 2nd photo lol

·
Registered
36,855 Posts

you dont need to have that body to win multi slams

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Cheat? You mean like the tactical bathroom break that Federer took against Ferrer after the 1-6 set?
:haha: Dulltards are so desperate to find any flaw on Federer. What an abysmal try.:spit: If going into a restroom is cheat, basically dull cheated every match in Wimbledon 2014.:superlol: God knows what he got in the restroom to help him come back from 1 set down three times.:wavey:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
why is this in GM. nadull forum pls :stupid::stupid::smash::smash::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Physically he has the quite unique combination of
- most muscular on tour, heavy body build, can hit heavy balls back with lots of spin
- best stamina on tour, will run endlessly
Interesting that you recognize this, since it is highly unusual to have both, "sprinting ability/strength" (fast twitch muscle), and "stamina". They go together like oil and water. Most athletes have one or the other.

In modern times, we are seeing more and more of these "super-athletes" like Nadal however. I guess human beings have evolved in the last few decades.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Although his service is garbage, he will invite players to attack in his service games. Once he holds the other player is in trouble holding serve. This is the unique part of Nadal.

Totally opposite of Federer who will try to hold fast and get the other player trapped in his service games forever.

The end result is Nadal win like half of his BPs, Federer keep getting break points and win like 10%.

Both styles could dominate tennis is amazing.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting that you recognize this, since it is highly unusual to have both, "sprinting ability/strength" (fast twitch muscle), and "stamina". They go together like oil and water. Most athletes have one or the other.

In modern times, we are seeing more and more of these "super-athletes" like Nadal however. I guess human beings have evolved in the last few decades.
Exactly!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Although his service is garbage, he will invite players to attack in his service games. Once he holds the other player is in trouble holding serve. This is the unique part of Nadal.

Totally opposite of Federer who will try to hold fast and get the other player trapped in his service games forever.

The end result is Nadal win like half of his BPs, Federer keep getting break points and win like 10%.

Both styles could dominate tennis is amazing.
good observation

1 - 20 of 36 Posts