Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Safin vs Chela
I arrived when it was 5-4 in the first set, the players held their serves and it went on to a tie-break.Marat took a mini-break as they call it and was leading 1*-0, he hit a good serve Chela returned it with a backhand down the line, Marat was sure it was wide, started arguing etc. Well in about five minutes (or less) he lost the set 7-1.
The Argentinians seemed louder than us at that point even though there were just two groups, three people behind the players and about 10-15 in the players box, they all had flags and were wearing blue and white. We have a team of about five girls who are always singing songs about Marat, Zhenya and the Davis Cup very loudly, they were at all of our matches this year.

In the second set the players held serve 6-5 to Marat and then he broke. Both players were playing on very high level and what I liked most about Marat's game was that after almost every good attack he went to the net to finish the point off, and didn't miss most of these volleys :).
In the third set Marat got broken at 3-3 if I'm not mistaken but then immediately broke back, I didn't expect him to do it, was absolutely sure it will be Chela's set but he proved me wrong and won it 7-5. After that Chela's game tore apart, first serves weren't going in, he was very late for Marat's shots esp weak was his backhand. The only game that he managed to win was the one on Marat's serve at 4-0.

The score of the match is 6-7 (1) 7-5 7-5 6-1

Next up were Kafelnikov vs Gaudio

Zhenya had a very bad start, lost the first game on his serve, he finished it with a double fault :eek: , never managed to break in that set and it went to Gaston 6-3, he didn't have to do much. Maybe it's because Zhenya was nerveous that he was making so many errors.
Kafelnikov woke up in time and won the second set 7-5. From 4-3 both started losing their serves, it was not the best tennis they played these last games, that's for sure. Zhenya was better in the end.
In the third set Kafelnikov took an early lead and eventually took the set 6-3. Right after the end of this set Marat came and sat between Stoliarov and Youzhny's coach Sopkin.

By this time there were much more people (there weren't that many in the begging because the match started at 13.00 and everyone was at work). You couldn't really hear the Argentinians and a big flag dissapeared somewhere :)

In the fourth set Zhenya lost his serve in the beggining, had breakpoints at 2-3 couldn't take them, and probaly decided that he diodn't really need the set, he didn't try at all. Gaston won it 6-2.

And now the fifth set- great start. Zhenya took a 2-0 lead, phew, I though it was a perfect time to go to eat something, when I came back to my horror the score was 4-2 to GAudio :eek:, Zhenya was on serve and was a breakpoint down , another doublefault...game Argentina 5-2... I was standing in the doorway with my uncle and we were thinking wheather we should stay or not, I decided that we should watch it up the end.

Gaston serving 5-2 40-15, Zhenya makes it 40-30 one matchpoint saved. Then something happened to the crowd, they realised it was not the end of the match and bacame very active (clapping after Gaudio's missed first serves (I wasn't doing it of course :angel: ) really cheering for Zhenya, it probably did the trick; deuce; adv Kafelnikov; game Russia, during that game there were a few times when Gaston thought he had already won the match, but then realised that his serve was long or wide. It's hard to say who was correct, the crowd was so loud you couldn't even hear the linesmen (I though most calls were good , it's hard to say from that angle I saw but the Argentinian captain didn'a argue much...) anyway the score was 5-3. Zhenya held 5-4, after that he easily took Gaston's serve. 5-5 everyone was screaming their lungs out "ZHENYA! ZHENYA" "ROSSIYA! ROSSIYA!", Zhenya held quite easily. You could see the players were really tired (no wonder!) Argentinian captain was massaging GAston's legs, Zhenya's right hand/wrist was probabvly tired as he was twisting it all the time.

5-6, 30-0 then Zhenya took two points, he didn't do much his main idea was getting as many balls as possible over the net Gaston made many errors off his forehand. Then at 30-30 Gaston started to cramp, he got some treatment and after about 2 minutes the play continued. He held serve. But Zhenya was better in the end, he held his serve and break Gaudio finishing it with a beautiful volley :)

The final score: 3-6 7-5 6-3 2-6 8-6

Tommorow is the opening ceremony and the doubles match.

My pics from today coming soon

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
thanks for the report :) :)

Congrats Russia :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank you Nina. It seems that they managed to create a very good atmosphere around the match. Did they change the seats at the stadium as was promised?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep they did and I was very happy about that, they are now the same as in Olympiiiski- plastic and before they were made of wood and were too close to each other. I liked it much more there this time :)

Quite close but not next to the court :), I'm not VIP :( ;)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ys, I agree that would make more sense . Why is the Opening Ceremony on the second day btw?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts