Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, wanted to share a few pics i took in case someone is interested/likes them. sorry for bad quality, they lose a lot on facebook...

Pol Toledo

Eduard Esteve

Sergio Martos:

Doubles champions:

Toledo-Martos

Esteve-Roca

Jaime Fermosell

Martin Beran

Marcos Giraldi

Cristian Garin

Carlos Benito Hergueta

Alejandro Augusto

one of my pics from last year was used to make the advice of the tournament!

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alexis Musialek

Oriol Roca

Adam Sanjurjo

Mauricio Alvarez Guzman

Jordi Muñoz Abreu

Juan Samuel Arauzo

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roberto Ortega

Nicolas Jarry

Cristian Garin

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
No shirtless pics, no words :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Did the ball go over the net?

Is the fist question I ask myself while looking at this image. Well lets see, considering that Sergio Martos has a 2 handed backhand this is surely a blocked return of serve. I've considered the possibility of a slice but it was obvious that was not the case looking at the image a second time by noticing he was hitting over the ball slightly. Speaking of hitting over the ball, the angle of his racket is a little too closed for my liking, arousing my skepticism on whether the ball went over. Next we look at the grip, although I will admit that I am shitty at determining grips players use, my best estimate for Martos' grip in this shot is a continental with his index finger slightly sliding over to the 8th bevel.Furthermore, looking at his position on the court, we find the spaniard over on the ad side of the court while being about 14/15 feet from the fence. Also considering his left leg is pulled over all the way across his body this only confirms it was a return of serve. But before we pass any judgments on this issue, we mustn't not make a fatal mistake. You may think the closed face of racket and Martos' racket and the fact that he was a 2 hander and the fact that he was blocking a return coud only add up to him missing the shot. Unfortunately, you are wrong. Regarding the closed face of the racket, we can only use that data up unitl the person makes contact with this ball. This is because if a player makes contact with the ball at the top of the string bed, the racket will "open up" right after contact, vice versa if a player hits it at the bottom of the string, the racket will "close in." As I said earlier the racket above looks slightly closed, is this because of the swing path of the racket/grip or because he just hit the bottom of the strings an the racket close in? If it is the latter than it entirely possible that Martos' shot went over the net. This of course comes down to 2 things, point in time the picture by Sombrero was take and also where the ball hit the racket. Lets look at the 2nd issue first as it is needs to be addressed right away. This part isn't too hard, the ball obviously hit the middle of the strings, maybe shading slightly below. Is it towards the bottom enough that it will close the racket face? Well, lets look at the second question at hand, at what point in the stroke was this picture taken. AS you may have already found out, this is incredibly difficult. I hate to be unscientific here but for the human eye the only option left for me to do is unfortunately guess. Since we can clearly see the ball (must not be going too fast), I will go out on a limb and say that this picture was taken before Mertos has made contact with the tennis ball. Now that we have finally evaluated all our data, we can finally make an informed decision. With all the information presented, I can only come to the conclusion that Mertos' missed this shot into the net. Feel free to disagree with me but please explain and supplement with studies and sources. Hell, If you show me enough evidence as to why I am wrong I will even toss you a few credits maybe.

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooWW_CfYAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ImeQaAyFPc

*Apologize for any mistakes/omissions as this was written hastily at 4 am. Shoot me a pm if any questions or concerns regarding this explanations are unanswered.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Jaime Fermosell - Poor man’s Vesely

Marcos Giraldi - Poor man’s Nadal

Carlos Benito Hergueta - Poor man’s Verdasco

Oriol Roca - Poor man’s Roddick

Mauricio Alvarez Guzman - Messi playing Futures
Holy crap the top 2 do look like Vesely and Nadal :eek:

·
Registered
662 Posts

Is the fist question I ask myself while looking at this image. Well lets see, considering that Sergio Martos has a 2 handed backhand this is surely a blocked return of serve. I've considered the possibility of a slice but it was obvious that was not the case looking at the image a second time by noticing he was hitting over the ball slightly. Speaking of hitting over the ball, the angle of his racket is a little too closed for my liking, arousing my skepticism on whether the ball went over. Next we look at the grip, although I will admit that I am shitty at determining grips players use, my best estimate for Martos' grip in this shot is a continental with his index finger slightly sliding over to the 8th bevel.Furthermore, looking at his position on the court, we find the spaniard over on the ad side of the court while being about 14/15 feet from the fence. Also considering his left leg is pulled over all the way across his body this only confirms it was a return of serve. But before we pass any judgments on this issue, we mustn't not make a fatal mistake. You may think the closed face of racket and Martos' racket and the fact that he was a 2 hander and the fact that he was blocking a return coud only add up to him missing the shot. Unfortunately, you are wrong. Regarding the closed face of the racket, we can only use that data up unitl the person makes contact with this ball. This is because if a player makes contact with the ball at the top of the string bed, the racket will "open up" right after contact, vice versa if a player hits it at the bottom of the string, the racket will "close in." As I said earlier the racket above looks slightly closed, is this because of the swing path of the racket/grip or because he just hit the bottom of the strings an the racket close in? If it is the latter than it entirely possible that Martos' shot went over the net. This of course comes down to 2 things, point in time the picture by Sombrero was take and also where the ball hit the racket. Lets look at the 2nd issue first as it is needs to be addressed right away. This part isn't too hard, the ball obviously hit the middle of the strings, maybe shading slightly below. Is it towards the bottom enough that it will close the racket face? Well, lets look at the second question at hand, at what point in the stroke was this picture taken. AS you may have already found out, this is incredibly difficult. I hate to be unscientific here but for the human eye the only option left for me to do is unfortunately guess. Since we can clearly see the ball (must not be going too fast), I will go out on a limb and say that this picture was taken before Mertos has made contact with the tennis ball. Now that we have finally evaluated all our data, we can finally make an informed decision. With all the information presented, I can only come to the conclusion that Mertos' missed this shot into the net. Feel free to disagree with me but please explain and supplement with studies and sources. Hell, If you show me enough evidence as to why I am wrong I will even toss you a few credits maybe.

Sources:

*Apologize for any mistakes/omissions as this was written hastily at 4 am. Shoot me a pm if any questions or concerns regarding this explanations are unanswered.

:facepalm: What makes you think this shot made it all the way to the net?

·
Registered
21,399 Posts

Sources:

:haha:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i ve seen him a few times. he has a flat game, decent to watch...but has a crazy father :hysteric: he ownes a very posh tennis club in madrid(thats why he got a few wcs) and travels with him to the tournaments...entertaining

i think he will be better on hardcourts even though he is short, he doesnt put a lot of top spin on his shots

1 - 20 of 39 Posts