Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can she do it?

I think she can, if she plays enough, Davenport and Hingis might be on their way out so definately!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nope. Dani should, Rubin should, and they should replace Martina and Lindsay for this year, and hopefully Jelena and Justine next year.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Anastasia is too one dimensional, and doesn't have much of a serve. She has okay groundies, but not like Monica's or Jelena's. She makes too many errors, especially off the forehand. She needs more topspin. Make that she needs topspin period. Most of all, she needs to develop some sort of decent serve. Her second is worse than Anna's :eek: !

·
Registered
25 Posts
She only has to defend some quali points from last years Kremlin Cup.... A lot will depend on Hingis and Dani. I'm not sure if it's possible.

as of 9/22
9 LINDSAY DAVENPORT 2680
10 MARTINA HINGIS 2514
11 DANIELA HANTUCHOVA 2484.75
12 ANASTASIA MYSKINA 1878

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lindsay is going to lose alot of points, and hingis will lose hers around OZ. And since Myskinas points should go up to 2000 ish regardless i think she has a decent shot, maybe not this year, but by 2003 OZ

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with mmcdonald.

Myskina really needs to get a 2nd serve, it's a real puffball.

Only better than Kapros' :rolleyes:

She should work on that in Dec. Go to some specific academy Nastya, instead of ur dad. Try Rick Macci, he developed the Williams' serve. Maybe you could get some points with him :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
probably not this year, but yes at the beginning of next year, although not b/c she's good enough too.

like has already been said, lindsay's gonna lose a lot of points - 1550+ in fact from linz, zurich, filderstadt, and munich. that's a lot. and if you consider the fact that there will be more people than last year above her there, it'll be hard for her to defend (though im sure she can do it :D ). and also keep in mind that she's not currently qualifying for LA, although, i really can't believe that she won't.

as for hingis, she's got 200 points to defend at moscow and filderstadt. myskina's got virtually that from moscow alone (she has points elsewhere, but they're not in her 17 best results). myskina has 40 points at OZ (sydney and gold coast are also not in her 17 best) while hingis has 624, her best result.

hantuchova will probably take lindsay's place in the top 10 to end the year (unless lindsay can take out a whole mess of top 10ers to get some big bonus points). w/ 175 points for the rest of the year, she'll have big opps to jump in. myskina will take hingis's spot next year at OZ. she'll probably fall out quickly when lindsay plays more tournaments.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hope she can... but I don't think she will do it this year!! Myskina has SF points to defend at Moscow where Hingis only has less than 100 QF points to defend!!

Maybe in early 2003 when Hingis' points being taken off from her 2002 Sydney & OZOpen... Myskina will have a much better chance to get into the Top10. However, as some ppl mentioned b4, Hantuchova & Rubin are the two contenders for a Top10 spot as well!!!

It's getting exciting!! And will see what happen??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah the battle for the #10 spot

Just like the battle for the #4 spot that will start soon (Seles vs. Mauresmo)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not this year.

2680 09 Davenport
2514 10 Hingis (202)
2485 11 Hantuchova (305)
1878 12 Myskina
1733 13 Rubin

Lindsay is defending 1564 points from 2001. That's a LOT of points coming off. She will almost definitely drop behind Myskina and Rubin, maybe behind Farina-Elia.

Martina only has 12 tournaments, and only defends 202 points for the rest of the year. She should have no trouble staying inthe top ten this year. Sydney and OZ are where she'll likely drop, but a good showing would likely keep her top ten.

Dani twice the number of tournaments Martina has, and defends 305 points for the rest of the year.

Chanda's only defending 208 points between now and Berlin. AND she only has 13 tournaments.

Its going to be messy.

But Lindsay will be back in the top ten by Roland Garros. She WAS Year-End #1 last year. She's been a much better player than the others, WHEN SHE'S PLAYED, the past 12 months.

Sometime before clay season starts, Martina and Lindsay will both be well on their way back to the top five. The five highest ranked Americans will still be that.

Hantuchova, Rubin and Myskina will be fighting with Kim, Justine and Jelena for top ten spots. I think two of those spots will go to Chanda and Kim. Kim is the most athletically gifted of those six players, and Chanda has the best style for beating the Big Hitters at the top of the heap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If Chanda keeps up this fine form she'll get to about#6 maybe higher!I'm sure Dani will get top 10 and i think Myskina has a chance but there might be too much work!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It should happen early next year....Nastya doesn't have anything big to defend until...sheesh, the green clay, and even then that's easily defendable.

It will be tough but she could crack it...a QF at the AO would seal the deal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Because of the VERY high level of players vying to get into the top 10 now, I see the #11-15 spots getting far, far tougher too, next year. Those spots will also end up going to players who win the odd small title or two or three, or go far into a Slam or two. There will no longer be room there for consistent players with only bagfuls of quarters and semis to show, or players who perform well on one surface only.
Right now there is a huge drop-off in caliber of player after #11 or so. But I see that huge drop-off moving to #14 or even 15 or 16 next year.

Players who are ranked at that level now are really going to have to step it up just to stay where they are. The Daniilidous, the Bovinas of the Tour are on their way! Watch out!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The top 20 is going to get very very competitive. But what i think is going to be competitive is #3-7. Because JCap is going to lose her points by OZ and then Monica, Amelie, and the others will be fighting for those 3 top 5 slots

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, there will be a lot of turmoil in that portion! But that turmoil will probably consist only, or mostly, of players who are already ranked in that region now, or who used to be and are trying to claw their way back (Hingis, Davenport).

If Mary Pierce decides to keep playing & can get & stay healthy, she has the ability to burst back up there too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts