Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 W and USO are his last chances of winning a grand slam. He's going on 34 on 8/8 and time has truly run out. I'm willing to concede defeat on this one. Also 2016 Olympics are definitely his last chance of winning Olympics singles gold. Even for Rafa, Djokovic, and Mugray time will run out before you know it. Rogie can still win some masters series events, 500 events, and also 250 events, but that's it now. I'm not even convinced he'll win another World Tour Finals title. He's still good enough to be a top 5 player for sure (2-5 really), but his days as the top player are truly over. It's been a heck of a run for Roger Federer throughout his entire career, but it's getting closer to retirement time and I'm fully convinced 2016 will be his last year.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Original, compelling insight. No, please, do tell me more..

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
He really should have won the AO, his best at that time was above everybody else's IMO. His form peaked from Shanghai 2014 to AO 2015. Just couldn't get through the bad day. Well Sampras' form came together at a last tournament in USO 2002 when he was #17, much less hope of winning a slam for him than Roger today, hopefully that can happen to Roger as well. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
767 Posts
2014 wimbledon was his last chance

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
2015 W and USO are his last chances of winning a grand slam. He's going on 34 on 8/8 and time has truly run out. I'm willing to concede defeat on this one. Also 2016 Olympics are definitely his last chance of winning Olympics singles gold. Even for Rafa, Djokovic, and Mugray time will run out before you know it. Rogie can still win some masters series events, 500 events, and also 250 events, but that's it now. I'm not even convinced he'll win another World Tour Finals title. He's still good enough to be a top 5 player for sure (2-5 really), but his days as the top player are truly over. It's been a heck of a run for Roger Federer throughout his entire career, but it's getting closer to retirement time and I'm fully convinced 2016 will be his last year.
I guess it's deal then, if you just send him 50-60 million $ check for not playing in 2017/18, and instead of 100 million $ making just 30 millions from long term sponsorships.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
He is done FULL STOP! He is the greatest of ALLTIME no question. But the tennis gods have said enough is enough.

Father Time has no respect for anyone. Federer looks 45 in the face. And his body is not far behind it. He needs to bow out respectfully.

·
Registered
893 Posts
:facepalm:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wishful thinking from OP. Fed has only won 1 FO in such a glorious career. Who in his right mind would think that he can win another at 33 even with a favorable draw with these conditions? Rest up and prepare for Wimbledon where you have a REAL chance of winning.

·
Registered
33,360 Posts

not 2020?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The guy just doesn't have the power off the ground anymore.

I don't attribute it to age, but rather more to the racket change. I think it was a mistake.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I still he has a chance at Wimbledon, if he doesn't get involved in too many 4 or 5 set matches before the final.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
^
Captain Obvious reporting for duty.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
2014 wimbledon was his last chance
This .... Roger is not going to win a slam. Not with a bigger racquet, new coach, new wife ... Roger is 34. His time has come and gone. I mean he needs a great draw and just everything to go his way to win another slam. It's what it is ...

·
Registered
4,084 Posts

You needn't be sad.After all Federer won that elusive Brisbane title that you hilariously proclaimed he needed to win (along with Olympics,Rome,Monte Carlo) before he hangs up his racquet ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Fed can luck himself into another slam win. What he has going for him is he's a shoe in for the second week and he's always healthy. He keeps giving himself "looks" anyhting is possible...

1 - 20 of 135 Posts