Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2015 he has won only Buenos Aires and either that or also the 2015 FO will be his only 1 (or 2) titles for all of 2015. It seems these days he can only win on clay and when he does a small event with no one there like in Buenos Aires and possibly at his beloved FO, but that's it. It seems to me he's mainly done. 2013 was his last great year and comeback.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
disagree whole heartedly. Nadal is playing much much better in RG than he did previously this season. his confidence is obviously improving and in turn his groundstrokes are looking way more solid. he might not win this tournament but I would be shocked if he didn't resurge this season. again, he's playing pretty decently so far this tournament and earlier in the season there were moments where he was good, just mega inconsistent

if the issue is mental then it can be fixed

if I knew you in real life I would be willing to make an actual bet regarding Nadal winning another title this season, but alas I don't

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
"if the issue is mental" then he hasn't faced any real challenge (Halys, Almagro, Kuznetsov), and thus we can't judge his form. I think even Sock won't challenge his mental state of mind, unle he goes 150% on his ass. His first real challenge will be the QF. He might find his long lost confidence there, or go into a total meltdown. That's why a lot of people rooting for Djokovic wanted him to meet Nadal as soon as possible, so he can't build up his confidence until the eventual final matchup with Djokovic.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
For 2015 he has won only Buenos Aires and either that or also the 2015 FO will be his only 1 (or 2) titles for all of 2015. It seems these days he can only win on clay and when he does a small event with no one there like in Buenos Aires and possibly at his beloved FO, but that's it. It seems to me he's mainly done. 2013 was his last great year and comeback.
He is just another fisherman from Mallorca to be swallowed by a whale in the quarterfinals. Rafa's endless luck has come to an end

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
If it would be mental then it could, though the issue on HC (and ofc on grass) seems to be more related to physical decline. No confidence will help there to win matches vs top HC/grass players as he'll likely to meet stern opposition.
Maybe fast HC could be his only hope to finish points faster, though even there his serve should tremendously improve, at least to 2013 level.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Nadal is just unlucky to play in Djokovic's era.
why he has caned him in the last few years in slams. In reality Djokovic is very unlucky he will be meeting Nadal before the final. Because he will be denied the FO once again. Nadal has found his form at the PERFECT TIME. He will beat DJOKOVIC ON WEDNESDAY. Mark these words.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If Murray gets to SF and plays Nadal, Murray wins RG15.

IF...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Your conclusion is incorrect.

One can see how Nadal is hitting the ball at RG that he is far from done. And he seems to improve each match.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
disagree whole heartedly. Nadal is playing much much better in RG than he did previously this season. his confidence is obviously improving and in turn his groundstrokes are looking way more solid. he might not win this tournament but I would be shocked if he didn't resurge this season. again, he's playing pretty decently so far this tournament and earlier in the season there were moments where he was good, just mega inconsistent

if I knew you in real life I would be willing to make an actual bet regarding Nadal winning another title this season, but alas I don't
You mean, if you had one of the following you'd make the bet:

1. life
2. money
3. friends

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Rafa losing 4 out of his last 6 matches immediately prior to AO 2015 still reached QFs at AO 2015. I expect Rafa to do well in the future at majors, which are BO5 matches; he may not do well at BO3 matches.

You can never count off Rafa, the 14-slam champ; the mental desire to win will always be there even though he may not be able to win physically as well as he did in the past. That mental desire to win will keep him going and make him a threat at majors for the next 3 to 4 years at least.

That's my prediction.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
The real conclusion is he's declined and he's done winning slams.

·
|
14,957 Posts
Nadal is on a 17 match winning streak in American summer events, so I doubt anyone is going to beat him at the US Open this year.

And he's taking Wimbledon seriously for the first time in years, so look-out there too.
2 or 3 slam titles this year is likely for Nadal, especially with Djokovic experiencing the worst moment of his career (losing the French Open despite being the huge favorite).

Nadal is the most recent player to win multiple slams in a year (2013), while Djokovic has failed to do so since 2011.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Nadal is on a 17 match winning streak in American summer events, so I doubt anyone is going to beat him at the US Open this year.

And he's taking Wimbledon seriously for the first time in years, so look-out there too.
2 or 3 slam titles this year is likely for Nadal, especially with Djokovic experiencing the worst moment of his career (losing the French Open despite being the huge favorite).

Nadal is the most recent player to win multiple slams in a year (2013), while Djokovic has failed to do so since 2011.

Djokovic domination looks so untouchable that I don't see anyone beating Nole until Wimbledon-2016 in case Kyrgios will massively improve his game, but more likely 2 CYGS in a row for Djokovic.

·
|
14,957 Posts
^ That reminds me, the last time Djokovic beat Nadal at a slam was January 2012 (and it took 6 hours).
Something seriously wrong with Djokovic's prime.
Nadal is way past his best (2008RG, 2008WIM, 2009AO, 2010USO), yet somehow Djokovic still isn't good enough.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
^ That reminds me, the last time Djokovic beat Nadal at a slam was January 2012 (and it took 6 hours).
Something seriously wrong with Djokovic's prime.
Nadal is way past his best (2008RG, 2008WIM, 2009AO, 2010USO), yet somehow Djokovic still isn't good enough.
Right now there's only Djokovic's domination and nothing else. Rafa's out of equation, even Karlovic had more success against Djokovic in 2015 than Nadal:haha::haha:

·
Registered
678 Posts

You are insane. Look into that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts