Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
He will play a doubles match with Rafa at Laver Cup as farewell match. This will hopefully be his only match in 2022.
I can now live with a Wimbledon QF as last professional tournament, no matter the circumstances.

If he plans on playing any type of schedule we will most likely see a ton of 1st Round defeats which I really don't hope for.
Unseeded and at 40-41 there will be no more titles coming for sure.
You gotta stay realistic. But maybe he surprises everyone again :D

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
11,196 Posts
About 300 million dollars from Uniqlo
About 100 million dollars from Rolex
Some other ones from Herbicide Glyphosate Barilla.

Tennis wise ???? Not sure he will be able to win a single match.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
dont know if he'll be back tbh

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Baring a spectacular return 2017 style, I don't see him winning any titles. Well maybe Basel but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm seriously doubting whether Federer will win or make another deep run at a 1000+ event ever again.

I'm rooting for the guy at 40 YO, but this isn't like his comeback in 2017. He'll still win a few matches here and there, and may even win a 250/500 at Halle or Basel, but my expectations are very low.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Wins: nothing
Final: nowhere
SF: nowhere
QF: maybe 1 or 2 smaller tournaments
Early rounds: everywhere else

Anything better than this will be a huge surprise for me.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now now, on his return in 2021 he made the QF in Doha AND W, I know he can make the SF, F, or even win something in 2022, no doubt!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Now now, on his return in 2021 he made the QF in Doha AND W, I know he can make the SF, F, or even win something in 2022, no doubt!!
Doha - barely won just 1 match
Wimbledon - should have lost in 1R if Mannarino didn't get injured

Next year he will be 1 year older and with 1 more knee surgery.
I just wish him not to end the year (career) with another bagel. No one with such admirable career deserves end with a bagel, unless it's the opponent who gets bageled.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Doha - barely won just 1 match
Wimbledon - should have lost in 1R if Mannarino didn't get injured

Next year he will be 1 year older and with 1 more knee surgery.
I just wish him not to end the year (career) with another bagel. No one with such admirable career deserves end with a bagel, unless it's the opponent who gets bageled.
Absolutely, Rogie losing the 2021 W QF final set in a bagel against Hurkacz, that being Rogie's last professional singles match, would never sit well with me the rest of my life... It would eat away at me forever!! He needs to play again in 2022 and win some more matches and hoping if 2022 is his final year, that his last professional singles match will NOT end with him losing a bagel set!!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It’s just crazy if you had a look at Federer’s 2nd half of 2019 again: semi of RG after not playing on clay for years, final at Wimbledon after beating Nadal and almost beating Djokovic, yes it was a painful defeat but it proved that he still got the game to challenge for more slams. Then he beat Novak in a pretty good match at WTF. After that, everything really went downhill, and really quick that nobody could have predicted that outcome for him. Injuries, surgeries, finally coming back but struggling to stay fit even for a whole BO3 match, getting bagelled at Wimbledon, more surgery, being on crutch atm, and now we’re not even sure when he is coming back, or whether he is coming back at all, let alone string 5 straight wins in a week for just a 250.

Back on topic, if he even comes back, next year will probably his final year. He will play only at the big tournaments or the ones that he really loves and has been playing for years: AO, Dubai, Miami, RG, Halle, Wimbledon, Cincy, USO, Basel. Can’t really predict his results but I’m guessing at best he could get to the final or semi at smaller events and QF at Wimbledon, depending a lot on the draw coz he would be unseeded. USO could give us a R1 between Federer and Nadal now that he is finally unseeded, just for more hype, just like how they used to rig for a R1 between Serena and Sharapova in 2019 (they have never met there too).

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
We cant look back at 2019 or 2020or expect him to replicate. Thats not how works. First he needs to come back healthy. Then hes not playing playstation. He will play against younger fresher players who are hungry to get a w vs ab all time great before he retires.
Look at Halle last year. Then comes the hard part. Mentally not winning matches he knows he could win a few years ago. That will be huge.
Federer had it easy. Natural ability and easy style it was all roses until Rafa came along. Adversity didnt go well with Federer.
Like i said. Hes going to win some matches. Maybe titles. But if he cant we never know when he quits.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Think he will play Halle and Wimbledon and then retire. Wouldn't be surprised if we never see him return from now though same with Serena would be sad for them both to go out on a whimper but thats how it's looking.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Rogie will NOT finish has career with only 103 singles titles, he will finish with at least 104 career singles titles!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts