Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Muster plays first match since 1999

August 12, 2003
GRAZ, Austria (AP) -- Former No. 1 Thomas Muster is considering a return to the ATP Tour.

The 1995 French Open champion beat Henri Leconte 6-3, 6-4 Tuesday in the opening match of the CA Challenge, an ATP Seniors Tour event, and said he would decide at the end of the tournament whether to return to competitive tennis.

``If things go well, I can imagine playing some matches on the ATP Tour again,'' said Muster, who's 35.

His last match on tour was May 24, 1999.

Muster won 44 ATP events throughout his career, putting him 11th on the career list.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Oh, boy - if Chang got so many WC's, I guess Muster will be given some too (although there aren't so many tournaments in Austria :) ) .

This is turning into an epidemic. Are we going to see Courier returning too? or Brogera? wait - maybe even Sampras will make a comeback and win RG ! :awww:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Kitzbuhel is a big tournament (ISG) in Austria.

Would be pretty awesome to see Muster come back and win some singles matches on the ATP. Players like Moya and Ferrero have already expressed their interest in playing a great like Thomas.

·
Registered
24,723 Posts
he was really nice when i met him in HK, it was 1996 Marlboro Open, he was so funny on court and he almost signed 30 autographs!! while pete only signed about 2 :p

come back Muster, come back Pete, all the old guards come back :D :worship:

·
Registered
80 Posts
My clearest memory of Muster is him chasing Henman at some tournament years ago... Henman looked scared no doubt :eek:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: Re: Muster May Return To The ATP Tour

Gaudio Troll said:
My clearest memory of Muster is him chasing Henman at some tournament years ago... Henman looked scared no doubt :eek:
That was at the US Open :devil:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thomas Muster charged past the net, chased Tim Henman with racket raised and swung at him wildly as Henman ducked with a panicked look into the tunnel.
Mean Mr. Muster was only kidding this time, but Henman wasn't taking any chances.
On a day when the fifth-seeded Muster found himself getting knocked out of the U.S. Open in the first round, no one could really be sure at that moment how serious his mad dash was.
Muster's mission to transform himself from king of clay to master of hard courts ultimately broke down Wednesday when Henman beat him 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 6-4.
The play that provoked Muster's mock attack came in the only set he won when he was desperately scrambling to stay in the match. Henman tapped a drop volley with Muster at the baseline, and Muster sprinted in to scoop it up. Henman lunged to catch the ball with another forehand volley into an open court, and Muster kept running -- around the net and after Henman.
Muster's swipe with his racket missed Henman's head by a couple of feet, but the Briton felt the breeze as he ran toward the tunnel.
"He's a pretty entertaining guy, on and off the court. I thought it was a bit of fun, a bit of humor," Henman said. "At first I didn't think so. I thought it was the best thing to do to keep running."
Henman and Muster actually are friends off the court, practicing with each other often. But, as Henman said, friendship is left behind when the matches are for money.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
JF: Great thread. If I find that NY Times article on tennis players who have a problem staying away from the game after retirement, I'll post it ;)

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
lol...there's nothing wrong for the love the game and the desire for competition ;)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Re: Re: Muster May Return To The ATP Tour

Leo said:
Kitzbuhel is a big tournament (ISG) in Austria.

Would be pretty awesome to see Muster come back and win some singles matches on the ATP. Players like Moya and Ferrero have already expressed their interest in playing a great like Thomas.
Muster and Carlos have already played 8 times. Their head to head is 4-4. In 1995-1996 Thomas was just amazing on clay :worship: I would like to see him comeback, but he would only stand a chance on clay to win matches I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts