Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Must Top 5 (or Top 5 seeds also) begin GS only since 4R or may be even QF?

As there often really no good opposition before 4R-QF...

Example:
Top 1-2 - since QF
Top 3-4 - since 4R
Top 5-6 - since 3R
Top 7-8 - since 2R
Top 9-10 - playing first round in 2 sets format!!!

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
????

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I think we should bring back the challenge round.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Must Top 5 (or Top 5 seeds also) begin GS only since 4R or may be even QF?

As there often really no good opposition before 4R-QF...
Good idea. It's a shame for Djokovic that he has to bother getting out of his pyjamas to come out and play this Galan guy - Galan, and any other player who is clearly on a hiding to nothing, should be eliminated and the top 5 player should automatically progress.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
OP means that most Top5 player does not need to care about early rounds as those guys mostly don't stand any chance except if they are some giants of the game which is very rare.
We have seen upsets, but generally a bit true. They can go about their business more relaxed till R3.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The difference between how much money is earned by top players and lower ranked ones is too big. And it causes that early rounds for top players are so easy.

Also, three best tennis players of all time are still playing so if they end careers, the difference won't be that big and upsets will be happening more often.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Top 1-2 - straight in the final
The rest - play only for prize money
How about that?
Fair enough. Djokodal would end up with about 200 GS finals. Rivalry for ages!

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
7,987 Posts

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Djokovic should be handed the trophy before the tournament. The rest can play for the platter.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Maybe 1st and 2nd should play qualifications instead because they put buts in the seats.

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
I agree , so I’m not stuck watching my local TV coverage showing these lame GS matches , with Top Player vs Bum early rounds and show the close battles instead.

Also cancel WTA and make slams great 👍

·
Registered
19,315 Posts
Fucsovics says otherwise

Reactions: Navdeep

·
|
15,331 Posts
If you let the top 5 skip rounds, those players will lose credibility and become historically inferior, because the champions before them will have won SEVEN rounds to win the slam event.
Its about durability, not just talent.
You prove your durability by winning 7 best-of-5-set matches.
If any stupid changes are made like that, I hope its only done after Nadal retires, because I'd hate for Nadal's legacy to be downgraded by weak slams.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
These kinds of idiotic thoughts come from the same minds that want to get rid of wildcards, qualifying, etc...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts