Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the BBC, this is what Murrary said about his loss:

"This is just one of those matches you can afford in tournaments like this," Murray added. "It will not affect your ranking like Master Series or Grand Slams."

This does not seem very respectful to the tournament.

I wonder how this compares to Davydenko's comment in Australia for which he was fined and whether the two players will be treated the same.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It's not a nice thing to say but it's not nearly as bad as what Davydenko said.

I like Murray and even I have to admit he's kind of a douchebag.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut than to say anything

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
This is coming from the guy who acted like he won a Grand Slam after winning Marseille.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
What is wrong with that statement? :confused:

It is likely he is referring to the fact that one loss, such as this, in an optional, could count for shit by the end of the year (i.e. if he has 5 better optional results...let's face it, he will have). In Grand Slams / Masters, a R1 defeat is a liability, as every result counts.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What did Davydenko say? I generally ignore everything he says, I forget :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
What is wrong with that statement? :confused:

It is likely he is referring to the fact that one loss, such as this, in an optional, could count for shit by the end of the year (i.e. if he has 5 better optional results...let's face it, he will have). In Grand Slams / Masters, a R1 defeat is a liability, as every result counts.
Exactly.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
It isn't actually nice, but it is an honest opinion. I don't see the problem with it, it's not like Muzza is the one to hand out unnecessary compliments... :angel:

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
He picks up the bulk of his points playing these so-called minor tournaments. Pretty awkward comment to make.
That irony did not escape me. :)

Maybe he is thinking out loud that he needs to do damage in a TMS or GS so that he doesn't have to rely these "MM" tournaments for points.

·
Vault Hunter
6,521 Posts
I wonder what his opinion about ABN AMRO would have been had he won the tournament?
Anyway it's an ISG tournament and it's more important than say Marseille.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
I don't see the problem, he didn't state his opinion that Rotterdam sucks, it's a fact that pointwise he could afford to lose in the 1st round here. He may not be the most tactful player around and he has said pretty stupid things before, but this thread is classic MTF overreaction

1 - 20 of 68 Posts