Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy Murray column: Winning titles & testing Bjorkman

When I was younger I never thought about how many tournaments I would win or compared myself to other players, but at this stage of my career it motivates me more.

The fact that I've now won four times at Queen's Club and 34 titles in all is pretty special.

It was after I won my 500th match a few months ago that I looked at the list of players who had achieved that, and the others I could catch up and pass, and it really spurred me on.

A few years ago my sole focus was the Grand Slams and maybe I didn't have my eye on the ball for every tournament, and I regret that a bit. I was almost obsessed with winning a Grand Slam and after I did that it was like, 'Right, what's next?'

The Grand Slams are obviously still extremely important to me but I would like to show up at every tournament with the mindset that I'm going to win.

That gives you the best preparation for the following week and builds confidence over the entire year. It is one of the things that motivates me now.

Early alarm call

The rain delay on Saturday evening at Queen's Club made for a tight schedule on Sunday morning.

I was due to walk on court and continue my semi-final against Viktor Troicki at 11am, and I wanted to make sure I was as sharp as possible as I had a break point and we were towards the end of the first set.

The preparations started early to make sure I was ready from that first point.

I was up at 7.15am, left home around 7.50am and drove myself to Queen's Club, arrived at about 8.15am and saw my physio for 45 minutes.

I then did a 25-minute warm-up with my physical trainer before hitting with my coach, Jonas Bjorkman, from 9.45am until about 10.20am.

That meant I was hitting a lot closer to the start of a match than is normal for me. I would usually finish my practice about two hours before I go on court so that I can eat and warm up properly for the match.

It was a very significant change to my usual routine but thankfully the plan paid off and I made a good start with a break of serve straight away.

Jonas schooled

There has been a bit of competition on the practice court already, and it's been pretty ugly for Jonas.

It helps if you can hit with a coach and he still plays very well, doesn't make many mistakes, returns well and gives you good rhythm. His serve is a bit slow though.

We'd been talking about playing a few points because we practised at our first tournament together in Munich, but we were just warming up. He'd been appearing in the dancing show on Swedish TV and he was breathing so hard after just hitting up and down the middle of the court, so I was winding him up about that.

He said, 'Let's play some points,' so the other day I let have him a shot at the title. We just fed the ball out of the hand and played to 11 without serving. As I say, not good for Jonas.

I'm sure he will want a rematch because he's very competitive. He used to be ranked fourth in the world and was a great player, so he's thinking that was the first time he'd played points in a while, maybe next time it will be better.

Well, I can tell him - it won't be.

I've already turned it down to 50% and still won but I will happily play him next week, whenever he wants. I'm not sure he's got enough to prepare me for matches in future though. Sorry, Jonas.

Match tight

Winning in all sports gives you the confidence that when the tight moments come, you've been there and got through it.

It definitely helps to be on a good run going into Wimbledon because you know that you're match tight.

At Queen's, I hadn't played much on the grass but when I was in a very difficult situation in the quarter-final against Gilles Muller, a set down and taken to a tie-break, I was able to find a way.

If I hadn't won many matches and was a bit low on confidence, maybe I don't get through that match.

I've had a lot of wins over the last few months and hopefully that will serve me well. At the beginning of Wimbledon it will certainly help but by the end you need to do a bunch of things well, and by the second week everyone is feeling comfortable and confident.

Hopefully I will be one of those players - I certainly feel in the kind of form to challenge again.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/33218454
Inspiring stuff from this year's Wimbledon champion.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The BBC really should allow comments on these articles.

·
Banned
923 Posts
This is a strange confession. You SHOULD be caring only about slams. It's how Fed managed to get so many during his peak years.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
This is a strange confession. You SHOULD be caring only about slams. It's how Fed managed to get so many during his peak years.
His mind is still predominantly on Grand Slams.

He will be skipping Cinci this year to focus on the US Open. That was his plan a few months ago anyway.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
His mind is still predominantly on Grand Slams.

He will be skipping Cinci this year to focus on the US Open. That was his plan a few months ago anyway.
Murray is skipping Cinci? He'll probably need some points there to oust the computer number two for the US Open unless he wins Wimbledon.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Propaganda by the British ... simply giving Murray a PR makeover. Murray should have focused on smaller tournaments. He should not have won the two slams if Nole was not in such a giving mood

Reactions: sdtoot

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Murray is skipping Cinci? He'll probably need some points there to oust the computer number two for the US Open unless he wins Wimbledon.
If he wins Wimbledon the second seed is a lock for Murray heading into the US Open. Olderer has a shitload of points to defend before it.

In Indian Wells he said this:

Q. Can you just discuss your decision to go back to Washington this year and why? Because obviously you made the final there in '06 and haven't been back since. Wondering why this year?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, a couple of reasons. Because I hadn't actually‑‑ again, hadn't felt like I played particularly well in Canada the last few years.
You know, I felt maybe when I was younger I could take ‑how my body I felt worked anyway ‑ a five‑week break and then start playing matches and feel fine straightaway; whereas now I feel like if I hadn't played matches and I take a five‑week break, my body is sore and stiff.
So I wanted to try something a bit different this year. Yeah, I enjoyed the tournament when I was there. It was also very tough physical conditions there, extremely humid and hot. So, you know, it will be also good to get matches in those conditions with the US Open a few weeks away.

Q. Is it tough though with the two back‑to‑back Masters right after that? Washington, they haven't had any Big 4 guys there for since you, but that was sort of before you were in that ranking.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I think as well there is a new ‑‑the new rule that you can miss a Masters Series now and not have, you know, zero points on your ranking as well.
So if things were to go well in Washington and Canada or one of the two, then it would mean I would have the option to miss Cincinnati potentially.
But, yeah, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I then did a 25-minute warm-up with my physical trainer before hitting with my coach, Jonas Bjorkman, from 9.45am until about 10.20am.
No mention of Mauresmo? :awww: :sad:

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
If he wins Wimbledon the second seed is a lock for Murray heading into the US Open. Olderer has a shitload of points to defend before it.

Q. Can you just discuss your decision to go back to Washington this year and why? Because obviously you made the final there in '06 and haven't been back since. Wondering why this year?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, a couple of reasons. Because I hadn't actually‑‑ again, hadn't felt like I played particularly well in Canada the last few years.
You know, I felt maybe when I was younger I could take ‑how my body I felt worked anyway ‑ a five‑week break and then start playing matches and feel fine straightaway; whereas now I feel like if I hadn't played matches and I take a five‑week break, my body is sore and stiff.
So I wanted to try something a bit different this year. Yeah, I enjoyed the tournament when I was there. It was also very tough physical conditions there, extremely humid and hot. So, you know, it will be also good to get matches in those conditions with the US Open a few weeks away.

Q. Is it tough though with the two back‑to‑back Masters right after that? Washington, they haven't had any Big 4 guys there for since you, but that was sort of before you were in that ranking.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I think as well there is a new ‑‑the new rule that you can miss a Masters Series now and not have, you know, zero points on your ranking as well.
So if things were to go well in Washington and Canada or one of the two, then it would mean I would have the option to miss Cincinnati potentially.
letting Djokovic have his Cinci :worship:

In all seriousness he has been pretty crappy in Canada since he did the double there, one of which was a pretty decent run straight setting Nadal and Federer back to back.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

Very interesting. Federer said pretty much the same thing about the six-weeks break between the AO and IW. That's why he's been playing Dubaï or Rotterdam since.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Isn't Mauresmo pregnant? I thought that was the reason she's taking a break as Murray's coach.
let's face it ... that relationship was not going to last long anyway. It was a PR move. And Jonas will be fired if Murray does not win Wimbledon. Look, he is the favorite, and everything is in place for him to win a 2nd Wimbledon. A defeat here at his home slam, and it's trouble.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Soon Wawrinka will have more slams than he does hopefully
And we won't hear from all this hot air again.
wait? Aren't you Scottish? I thought everyone loved Murray there ...

·
The special one
14,382 Posts

He didn't say for definate that he was skipping cincy just that it's an option.

If Murray was to win wimbledon and have a decent run in Washington and Canada he won't be too far behind Novak in the rankings never mind Roger, so if Murray has any hopes of finishing the year as world no1 then skipping Cinci for me isn't an option

1 - 20 of 34 Posts