Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray - "You start trying too hard", "You want to do stuff too badly"

Friday, June 6, 2014

Q. Andy, it felt like you brought the best out of your opponent today. Do you agree with that?
ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, he played a great match. He missed hardly any balls. He served very well.
I mean, his forehand especially with the conditions the way they were today, was incredibly hard to control the ball. As soon as he was inside the court, I mean, he was hitting the ball so close to the line.
Yeah, he played great tennis.

Q. You played four and a half hours more than Rafa. Do you think that was too much to play your best tennis and have a chance against him today?
ANDY MURRAY: I don't know, to be honest. If it was, I've only got myself to blame, because I was in control of a lot of the matches that went longer than maybe they should have been. So if that did have anything to do with it, it was completely my fault.
But, yeah, ideally playing against him on this surface, you know, the way he's hitting the ball today, you have to do a lot of running, chase a lot of balls down. I couldn't get enough back.

Q. You had particular trouble getting into his serve. Was he doing something different? Why was that the case today?
ANDY MURRAY: He served well and I didn't return well. Simple. He served very close to the lines. Ball was coming through the court quicker today.
Yeah, my returns were timing was off on the returns. You know, also I think it is also easy to just sort of say, Oh, you know, he served well and I missed quite a lot of returns.
But the problem is if you don't do anything with the return, I mean, he was just battering the next ball into the corner. So you need to try and do something with his return.
And, yeah, maybe I was going for a bit too much. Then when I missed a couple in a row I would get a bit tentative.
Yeah, that was it.

Q. At what point of the match did you sense that it was going to be a very difficult afternoon?
ANDY MURRAY: Well, I knew it was going to be a difficult afternoon obviously before I went on the court. I was expecting a lot of long rallies. I was expecting to have to do a lot of running. And, yeah, I just yeah, I mean, it was a tough day for me. It was a bad, bad day.
Yeah, I'll need to bounce back quickly from it, because I'm not particularly happy with the way I played today.

Q. You're a big competitor. How is it to deal with it on the court feeling that maybe you couldn't find any way to really compete? How do you switch back to grass after such a loss?
ANDY MURRAY: That's a good question. It's difficult, because, yeah, I normally strike the ball fairly cleanly. Today I was mishitting a lot of balls. It was incredibly frustrating. I wanted to play better and better as the match went on.
Yeah, in some ways you start trying too hard, and it doesn't always appear that way. But you want to do stuff too badly, and you end up making more mistakes and things get worse.
Yeah, I never want to say forget about matches like this, but obviously the grass court season starts in a couple of days and I need to switch my mind to that.

Shots fired at Ferrer.

Regards,

ReturnAce

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Re: Murray - "You start trying too hard", "You want to do stuff too badly"

Trying too hard? He didn't try at all. Pathetic. Lost whatever respect I had for this idiot, same as Ferrer. The ATP should look into this obvious tanking.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Yeah ... Murray can't beat Rafa when Rafa plays close to 40%. I mean lets look at all the times he has beaten Rafa .... Rafa just loves seeing Murray on the other side

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Andy is still not at the right place but he does have a very good point here. I think if you can play within yourself you'll make it. If you let your nerves take over you are screwed. I've seen it so many times when a player A keeps hitting the ball harder and harder while a player B is playing within himself ...

Murray will be fine and I wish him the best. Tennis is played between 4 ears, not 2 players. The mental part is so important.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Andy is still not at the right place but he does have a very good point here. I think if you can play within yourself you'll make it. If you let your nerves take over you are screwed. I've seen it so many times when a player A keeps hitting the ball harder and harder while a player B is playing within himself ...

Murray will be fine and I wish him the best. Tennis is played between 4 ears, not 2 players. The mental part is so important.
Andy wasn't even hitting the ball hard or going for lines you clown, he was meekly pushing and accepting defeat. Probably just so that his (grand)ma could get some action from Tio.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts

Mugray has disappointed time and time again, but we're so desperate for anyone to stop the menace of Nadull tennis fans keep giving him chances. How many more times do we have to watch this pushing clown fail before he gets forgotten and put on the outside courts?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

I know why so many people expect Murray to pull off miracles. But the guy is simply not that good. I know ... I still have the image of him pushing Rafa to 5 at AO when he was so young. This guy is not going to do it. Don't hold your breath.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,404 Posts
Murray - "You start trying too hard", "You want to do stuff too badly"

Embarrassing performance. Anyone who goes out on a clay court match against Nadal and expects to beat him by defending and pushing is better of forfeiting before even starting and allow people their money and time back..

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

Mugray lucky that Rafa didn't play at USO 2012 and was unlucky at Wimby 2013 otherwise he would be just another no-slam wonder.

·
Registered
27,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Mugray lucky that Rafa didn't play at USO 2012 and was unlucky at Wimby 2013 otherwise he would be just another no-slam wonder.
In other words he's been mega lucky to play Djokoking in the final of his two slams.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

In other words he's been mega lucky to play Djokoking in the final of his two slams.
He never played Djokoking. He played Tornadovic and HeatStrokeovic.

·
Registered
27,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

He never played Djokoking. He played Tornadovic and HeatStrokeovic.
They're all just variants of Nomotivationovic.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Murray should be a shame for not make an effort . Ferrer as well but he was enough honest to say it.
I do not like to say they could beat Rafa but could challenge him at least . And he could get at least tired for next round as it was in Rome.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

NID people bashing him. Nadal lost 1 match at RG, what are the chances he would lose to Andy? Andy getting to SF is great, he can get back to path of believing in himself so he can take out Dull at Wimbledon or USO.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts

Obsessive Nadal haters blame him too much. He had no chance even if he tried something. His forehand is too powerless on clay. No matter what he did he could only feed the balls to Nadal

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Bingo! Give this man the prize. Murray will probably never beat a healthy Rafa in a slam again

·
Registered
755 Posts

Andy wasn't even hitting the ball hard or going for lines you clown, he was meekly pushing and accepting defeat. Probably just so that his (grand)ma could get some action from Tio.
this
Andy was NEVER ballbashing in this match and thats why i´m mad at him. he just rolled serves back in to Rafas forhand and never played the attacking tennis of the previous rounds.
so you are tired from earlier matches, play against Rafa and think you´ll win by pushing when you beat other opponents with attacking tennis??
then you go back to pushing against Nadal of all people when you, yourself, are tired??:smash::smash:
pathetic clownish behavior

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts