Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BASEL, Switzerland — World number three Andy Murray will take a wild card entry into next week's ATP Swiss Indoors where he joins world number one Novak Djokovic and home hero Roger Federer, Swiss media reported on Thursday.
The Scot is on a hot streak of form having won three titles in a row this month in Asia -- Bangkok, Tokyo and Shanghai.
Other top 10 additions to begin play on Monday at the St Jakobshalle include number seven Czech Tomas Berdych and eighth-ranked American Mardy Fish.
Murray passed Federer for third in the world after winning the Shanghai Masters.
Djokovic arrived in Basel on Wednesday and was hitting with Federer at a local sports club 24 hours later.
The Serb world number one has not competed since a back injury flared during the Davis Cup semi-final against Argentina in September.
Federer will be making his first start since leading Switzerland past Australia and into the Davis Cup World Group in Sydney.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gF1A5b_z4TJtXPPozPCj0l1ZgElA?docId=CNG.a3f4a87273f103587dedcb7c3b54ada7.11

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Re: Murray will play in Basel!

Andy must be itchin' to play some more tennis. Can never get enough of that winning feeling and long breaks must be annoying. The guy might end up playing till he drops though, the amount he has been and will be playing. Epic test of fitness right there.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

Good result for Basel, not good for Valencia who I'm sure were dangling at wildcard at the former champion too.

Murray was critical last year of the speed difference between Paris and Valencia, and Basel is faster than Valencia so it's better preparation for the Paris event, assuming Paris is fast again (and it better be, last year was cool)

Still, makes the criticisms of the length of the tennis season and strike talk seem a little...odd...when you're adding optional events at the last minute...

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

This was known last week. Vienna tried hard to get Murray.
Surprising, because Sky Sports apparently decided in the last day or two that they'd pick up Valencia next week, assuming Murray would take the wc offered there, not Basel.

·
A happy person
44,893 Posts

I think Murray has good enough results in 500s tournament and he doesn't need it.. Also, we all know how will win. :ignore: And Murray won Valencia 2 years ago, why Basel? Plus there is Ferrer 'only'. Djokovic and Federer are in Basel too. I think it's quite bad idea but he knows.

·
Registered
430 Posts

He can do what he wants, but please Murray do not cry about long season anymore, OK? :smash:

Reactions: MTwEeZi

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

I think Murray has good enough results in 500s tournament and he doesn't need it.. Also, we all know how will win. :ignore: And Murray won Valencia 2 years ago, why Basel? Plus there is Ferrer 'only'. Djokovic and Federer are in Basel too. I think it's quite bad idea but he knows.
I suspect it's just that Basel is faster and is better for Paris the week after, if he's going to play anywhere at all. But who knows? Maybe Basel just offered more $$$

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

I suspect it's just that Basel is faster and is better for Paris the week after, if he's going to play anywhere at all. But who knows? Maybe Basel just offered more $$$
I don`t think this decision has to do with money.Basel has always had Federer and also Djokovic last few years so with at least 2 top players it`s pointless for the organisers to throw away money for another top guy.Also with guys like Roddick,Fish or Berdych it was expected to be a good field for a 500 event regardless of Murray`s decision.Probably it`s the best way to prepare for the WTF where it`s a similar surface and same balls.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

Interesting decision. No doubt Andy will enjoy playing on the super fast surface.

1 - 20 of 273 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.