Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray has less slams comparing to this tier of champs, but he needed to win them in the Big3 era by playing very high level of tennis.

He was also #1 in this era for a decent amount of time, and when he wasn't, he was still very consistent, unlike Wawrinka.

Last but not least, he also has 2 Olympic golds, which is absolutely historic.

So with not just numbers but also the context in mind, how great is Murray comparing to Mc, Trollander and Becker?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't come here with how unlucky Murray is because he played in the big 4 era, then we can all say how many slams would Rog, Rafa or even Nole have had if they hadn't had to compete against each other.

And Roger has lost 9 GS finals to either Rafa or Nole and he would had a great chance to win all of them if it hadn't been for them and you can say the same about Rafa or Nole so Andy will always be number 4 when you rank him against the big 4 of this generation.

Andy has been 10 GS finals and he has lost 7 of them so he has had his chances

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't come here with how unlucky Murray is because he played in the big 4 era, then we can all say how many slams would Rog, Rafa or even Nole have had if they hadn't had to compete against each other.

And Roger has lost 9 GS finals to either Rafa or Nole and he would had a great chance to win all of them if it hadn't been for them and you can say the same about Rafa or Nole so Andy will always be number 4 when you rank him against the big 4 of this generation.

I don't compare Murray to the Big 3, they are the highest tier of greats, I compare Murray to Trollander's tier of greats.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

Murray has entered one more GS final than Becker (10) and the same number (11) as McEnroe, Edberg, Wilander.

He has also made more GS semis & quarterfinals than McEnroe, Wilander, Becker, Edberg, and is currently no.9 in Open Era for the number of semis and no.8/9 for QF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Slam_related_tennis_records

At masters he is no.9; behind Mcenroe and ahead of Becker, Wilander, Edberg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_Masters_Series_records_and_statistics

·
Registered
46 Posts
Numbers don't lie dear.....
Right know i have make peace with the fact that federer is the greatest of all time because he has 20 slams.
But in my mind.....the gangnam style skeleton and balding butt picker are the better player.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Andy is a great player and I really like him. However, it is difficult to compare him to JMac, Edberg, Becker. It doesn't work.

I hope that Murray will come back and play some great tennis again :cheerleader:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's difficult to escape the impression that Murray got lucky with the Slams he did win. The Djokovic he faced in USO 12 and Wim 13 was not the real Djokovic. If he had faced peak '11 Djokovic, it would have been two losses. Then he benefits from injuries, loss of form or motivation to win Wim 16. Similarly the stars aligned in both his Olympic wins, I mean it's bizarre to think he has more singles Golds than the Big 3 combined. Clearly he was the best of the rest (or at least more consistent than Stan) but with a slight tweak of circumstances he could have been left with an empty trophy room.

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's difficult to escape the impression that Murray got lucky with the Slams he did win. The Djokovic he faced in USO 12 and Wim 13 was not the real Djokovic. If he had faced peak '11 Djokovic, it would have been two losses. Then he benefits from injuries, loss of form or motivation to win Wim 16. Similarly the stars aligned in both his Olympic wins, I mean it's bizarre to think he has more singles Golds than the Big 3 combined. Clearly he was the best of the rest (or at least more consistent than Stan) but with a slight tweak of circumstances he could have been left with an empty trophy room.
Not to mention Janowicz as a SF opponent, Chung for Federer, Pouille for Djokovic or Querrey for Cilic even though he lost the final are probably the closest for easy SF's.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Murray is great no doubt, he has been so consistent over the years, but I cant put him quite in the same league as those other three; especially McEnroe who had just masses of natural talent and could have achieved even more IMO, but he definetely won enough to always be remembered as a top ATG.

Becker was just a massive player on the fast surfaces, amazing player in the biggest events and a great competitor in the 80s and 90s.

Wilander certainly carved his way into the areas that the others weren't necessarily competing the best, being strong in Australia and France. I think a case could be made for Murray over him but I wouldnt make that case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts