Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And before anyone says it's "clickbait", here it is:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/sports/andy-murray-australian-open.html

“I don’t know — maybe I’ll see you again,” he said, drawing cheers from the crowd. “I’ll do everything possible to try. If I want to go again, I’ll need to have a big operation, which there’s no guarantees I’ll be able to come back from anyway. But I’ll give it my best shot.”

Murray was referring to a hip resurfacing operation like the one that the doubles player Bob Bryan underwent last year; Bryan is trying to come back this season. In his postmatch news conference, Murray said that he would decide soon between struggling through months of further pain without surgery in order to play Wimbledon as a last hurrah, or to have the surgery with an eye on continuing his career after rehabilitation.

Murray said he thought he would make his decision “in the next week or so.”

He played too well in his condition to not at least consider doing this.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I hope he doesn't. These surgeries are not only very risky but he could end up in a situation where he's in even more pain, and less functional. For those of you urging him on, take a look at yourselves. For goodness sakes, his health is the most important thing here, not a few more matches here and there. There are so many risks in this surgery, not to mention the possibility of post op infections which can kill a person. He should leave it alone and use alternative medicine and good physiotherapy to be more functional and in less pain. I speak from personal experience here.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
I'd go with the surgery if I was him, and I hope he does. Even if there is no chance after his rehabilitation, and he won't ever recover well enough for a career, he can have a final hurrah at Wimbledon anyway and say a proper goodbye to the sport. Struggling through the next few months with no surgery and potentially constant pain is definitely the worse of the options. That said, he'll do what he thinks if best for himself. Whatever the decision, I'll be cheering you on, Andy, even if it won't be for very much longer :yeah:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hip resurfacing is pretty much a death knell to professional tennis. He should do it - but for his post tennis life. So he can function normally.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Total hip replacement can stop further femur damage and allow him to have quality life (without pain).That would be huge improvement to his current state.
There is phase when pain will become unbearable.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
I'd go with the surgery if I was him, and I hope he does. Even if there is no chance after his rehabilitation, and he won't ever recover well enough for a career, he can have a final hurrah at Wimbledon anyway and say a proper goodbye to the sport. Struggling through the next few months with no surgery and potentially constant pain is definitely the worse of the options. That said, he'll do what he thinks if best for himself. Whatever the decision, I'll be cheering you on, Andy, even if it won't be for very much longer :yeah:
Sapeod, it was a pleasure to tussle with you in the olden days. Growing up with your favourite player is something I can obviously relate to.

You live and die with the player. It's crazy to think, but that's sport.

From what he's saying, I think it may be the case of having a long hiatus and potentially coming back. If anyone can do it, it's him. He has kept his body in the best physical condition barring this injury, which was out of his control.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I hope he doesn't. These surgeries are not only very risky but he could end up in a situation where he's in even more pain, and less functional. For those of you urging him on, take a look at yourselves. For goodness sakes, his health is the most important thing here, not a few more matches here and there. There are so many risks in this surgery, not to mention the possibility of post op infections which can kill a person. He should leave it alone and use alternative medicine and good physiotherapy to be more functional and in less pain. I speak from personal experience here.
Personal Experience? so you have done a hip resurfacing and got infections, and other pain related things?

the success rate is at around 95-98%, and about 9 out of 10 get back to their sporting activites on average 11 months after. (exception being skiing)

Im sorry to hear though, you must be one of the really unlucky ones.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Also it's not a question of IF Murray does the operation, but when. Either he'll wait 4.5 months play grass and then do the operation or do it now. He's going to need it for normal life afterwards.I personally think it's not worth going through the pain & circus of Wimbledon, what's the point?
Fully agree with the bolded part. It would be a different thing if his condition would steadily improve nearing Wimbledon. Not sure how much it has even the past year, but at least with the current form/health, playing Wimbledon is unnecessary/a futile effort. He's in no shape to contend, so what's truly the point? To give his fans a final show? That wouldn't truly be Andy Murray playing, but a shadow of his former self. At this point everyone knows what he's capable of when fully healthy. No point in asking to see a crippled version of that player one more time. Even more so if he'd be risking his health even more. Seeing him even fight a win or two wouldn't prove or change anything. We already know he's a fighter. I repeat, a crippled Murray wouldn't truly be Andy Murray - a title contender.

A longer term route with hip resurfacing and maybe targeting Wimbledon 2020 e.g. could be more reasonable. I'm no expert in this, but what I read though is that such operations are a reasonable option for people Andy's age, but that they haven't been as much intended to withstand wear and tear from professional sports. I.e. repeated everyday high intensity activities.

Well, we seemingly find out soon enough.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
I'm not sure about this, doesn't seem like it's worth the risk. It's not like he has anything left to prove in his career, he's already done everything realistically possible.

If anything I think the way the scoreline and atmosphere of his match with RBA will be a factor if he decides that he is finished. The crowd support and clap botting for the best part of 4 hours was quite something and he was literally in tears (along with Judy) after the standing ovation he got at 1-5 in the fifth. It was an extremely good performance by him and a perfect culmination of everything people will remember him for. I'm not sure how he felt post match after cooling down, it constantly looked like he retire at any second in between points for the last 3 sets.

Playing on would take some significance of the night, especially if he ends up being routined in his real last match. At the end of the day it's up to how he feels and it's not up to anyone else when he wants to retire for good. If he wants one last trip to Wimbledon as a professional player then no one would blame him.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Please have the surgury but only to have a better quality of life and not for the sake of extending your career.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2019/01/11/andy-murray-plans-retire-wimbledon-admits-australian-open/

"I have an option to have another operation, which is a little bit more severe than what I've had before in having my hip resurfaced, which will allow me to have a better quality of life and be out of pain.

"That's something I'm seriously considering right now. Some athletes have had that and gone back to competing but there's obviously no guarantees with that and the reason for having an operation like that is not to return to professional sport, it's just for a better quality of life."

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Murray's struggle – and the collapse of his career – has been the saddest thing to witness in tennis in recent years, but much as I would like to see him play again without pain, he will never be the player he was, even if he has a successful hip resurfacing operation. Time is not on his side; he turns 32 in May, and it would take months for him to rejoin the tour following surgery:

Recovery from a hip resurfacing surgery is expected to last from six weeks to three months.

[...]

Patients will generally be discharged from the hospital after five to seven days with an assistive walking device. While at home, patients are advised to continue to walk with an assistive device unless directed by the surgeon to discontinue. Patients must also remember to follow the hip precautions and weight-bearing instructions very strictly during the first few months following surgery.

[...]

Patients should note that the first 6 months after the hip resurfacing operation are the most vulnerable period for the joint. This is the period that the bone initially remodels to ‘grip’ the implant. During this period impact at the joint should be avoided.
https://www.medicaltourismco.com/hip-resurfacing-surgery-cost/

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Fully agree with the bolded part. It would be a different thing if his condition would steadily improve nearing Wimbledon. Not sure how much it has even the past year, but at least with the current form/health, playing Wimbledon is unnecessary/a futile effort. He's in no shape to contend, so what's truly the point? To give his fans a final show? That wouldn't truly be Andy Murray playing, but a shadow of his former self. At this point everyone knows what he's capable of when fully healthy. No point in asking to see a crippled version of that player one more time. Even more so if he'd be risking his health even more. Seeing him even fight a win or two wouldn't prove or change anything. We already know he's a fighter. I repeat, a crippled Murray wouldn't truly be Andy Murray - a title contender.

A longer term route with hip resurfacing and maybe targeting Wimbledon 2020 e.g. could be more reasonable. I'm no expert in this, but what I read though is that such operations are a reasonable option for people Andy's age, but that they haven't been as much intended to withstand wear and tear from professional sports. I.e. repeated everyday high intensity activities.

Well, we seemingly find out soon enough.
He's really come to love Wimbledon. Deciding last month that Wimbledon rather than any other tournament would be his career end point says it all.

Edit: Wimbledon wasn't always his favourite tournament. His favourite was US Open growing up and in early years and his Mother also complained about the stuffy traditions at SW19.

We also saw today how much he wants to finish by winning a grand slam match again. It nearly happened today and really all conditions were against him, grinder making him run all over the court in over 4 hours.

Get him on Centre court against a Karlovic (played him twice already at Wimbledon in his career) or someone with that sort of game just bombing down aces with limited movement and he could win that even in his present state. His return on the second serves was certainly pretty good today.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
"Surgery is my only option if I want to play beyond just Wimbledon," Murray told BBC Radio 5 live.

However, there is a strong possibility I won't come back and play after an operation. I want to play tennis, but not with the hip I have right now
He said this after match. Seems to have booked in his mind any possible surgery after Wimbledon so I take it from that he desperately wants to play at Wimbledon and that will be his official final match.....before a miracle and he plays 50 + in 2021!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts