Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Murray's lawyers have got involved with a fan site because members of the forum have been posting up images that were found on his official website. Seem pretty extreme to me considering that sort of behaviour is completely normal on most Internet forums including this one.

The website is completely non-profit non-commercial with no adverts and therefore this is not to do with financial gain.

You can see a photo of the letter here.

EDIT: Changed wording of post as it suggested Murray knew about it when that is just one valid interpretation of the situation.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Perfectly within their legal rights, but pretty damn sad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah there is no doubt that they legally have the right to do this but the fact they are being like this to a fan site is pretty nasty and not what you would expect.

It's just fans, his fans, that are sharing images of him on a forum. They are not making any financial gain and neither is the website which happens to be completely non-commercial and free from any adverts.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I see Murray has already completed "How to maintain a fanbase 101" with his new image consultant.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
For some reason, I cannot get the link to work for me.

Is there a question of the site making a profit from Murray's images, or is this just strictly about use of them without express permission?

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread, but it looks like the latter unfortunately.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Is there a question of the site making a profit from Murray's images, or is this just strictly about use of them without express permission?
It's not about money as the website doesn't have any source of income, no banners at all. It the fact that they don't like forum members posting up images that originate from the official website.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Doubt it's about profit given that it is a fansite (also I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't know the site existed). Can't believe people would flock there to check out the photos just because they are of Andy Murray, but maybe that is the case...to do with whether the site attracts more members because people exchange photos. :shrug:

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
Murray is a tool. How British tennis yearns for the days of Tim Henman with his stylish attacking game, unlike that boring, miserable mug.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
This new generation of players:silly: :silly:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Murray has got his lawyers involved with a fan site because members of the forum have been posting up images that were found on his official website. Seem pretty extreme to me considering that sort of behaviour is completely normal on all fan sites.

You can see a photo of the letter here.

EDIT: The website is completely non-profit non-commercial and has no adverts. This unfortunately is nothing to do with money.

This is your website? It looks to me like someone on your site made a bit of a mistake. You hot-linked to photos on someone else's account, right? That's bad netiquette to expend their bandwidth, and a fan site should have a little bit more respect. So their lawyer sent you a letter to ask you to stop, I don't see the problem.

I owned a player fansite for over two years, and yeah I used whatever photos I could get from wherever I could get them, but I was very particular about crediting the photographer and the source of the photo whenever I could and I hosted them on my site. If Getty had ever caught me and asked me to remove their photos, I would have done so because I knew that every professional photo I had on my site was there without permission, whether or not I was making money from it (and I was not).

Reactions: The Pro

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't think the photos were hot-linked actually Fee although I could be mistaken. I believe they were posted up, in a thread (not in the website's gallery) and yes, they are within their legal rights to ask for them to be removed, but it is quite frankly, pathetic. I actually wonder if anyone in the Murray camp knows it.....

1 - 20 of 211 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.