Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After he wins Shanghai, he will have 7200 points from this year, with Paris and WTF left in this schedule.

Nadal has around 9200 points from this year, so he's only 2000 points ahead of Murray. Nadal has A LOT of points to defend next year, so can Murray perhaps overatek him sometime next year? He's not very far behind Nadal when it comes to the race, and he's likely to do better in Paris too. Andy has 3 1st round losses in a row after his Australian Open final, so he can get A LOT of points from there. If Nadal's form continues to drop, I see Murray taking the #2 spot next year sometime, most likely after Indian Wells/Miami.

Anyone agree?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Please stop jinxing Murray. :sad:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Federer will be Number 2.

End of thread. :)

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Murray better stop losing to him in slams if he wants to be above him... heck, he needs to start winning slams :spit:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
You've been reading the Race thread. ;) :lol:

Totally agree. But, as I said in my thread, he could really do with winning that elusive first Slam, otherwise he will be a male version of Wozniacki, Safina etc.

He was also talking of playing Basel or Valencia, so that could considerably boost his chances of actually finishing the year as the world #2. :eek: He'd need Nadal to fall relatively early in Paris (possible if the surface plays as fast as last year), and probably to fall in the group stages of WTF. Also possible, but less likely.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please stop jinxing Murray. :sad:
No such thing :wavey:

I'm jst saying Andy has a chance at #2. In fact, he has a really good chance. NO points to defend in Rotterdam/Indian Wells/Miami. If you don't like that, then that's too bad :wavey:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Murray better stop losing to him in slams if he wants to be above him... heck, he needs to start winning slams :spit:
I dread the thought of Wozniacki and Murray both being Number 1 at the same time without winning a Grand Slam. :eek:

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You've been reading the Race thread. ;) :lol:

Totally agree. But, as I said in my thread, he could really do with winning that elusive first Slam, otherwise he will be a male version of Wozniacki, Safina etc.

He was also talking of playing Basel or Valencia, so that could considerably boost his chances of actually finishing the year as the world #2. :eek: He'd need Nadal to fall relatively early in Paris (possible if the surface plays as fast as last year), and probably to fall in the group stages of WTF. Also possible, but less likely.
There's a website that has a live race, updated every time a match has ended - http://live-tennis.eu/race It's handy :)

I heard he was palying Valencia, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Murray is an almost player. That's all.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be very honest, only a slam win is stopping Murray from being ahead of Nadal in the rankings.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
To be very honest, only a slam win is stopping Murray from being ahead of Nadal in the rankings.
And the fact that Nadal has two finals (apart from his win) against Murray's one, and that Nadal has 4 masters finals against Andy's 0 (not including the one they won)

But yes, apart from that, only the slam win is keeping Murray under

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
No such thing :wavey:

I'm jst saying Andy has a chance at #2. In fact, he has a really good chance. NO points to defend in Rotterdam/Indian Wells/Miami. If you don't like that, then that's too bad :wavey:
I mean, just wait until after Shanghai to start counting the points- only two more days. And he has several thousand points to win before he can get close to Nadal in the YTD rankings, and honestly, I think overtaking Nadal before winning a slam would just put added pressure on Muzzah, to his detriment.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both will become number one's and go on to win slams, best players who play this sport...
Correct.
And the fact that Nadal has two finals (apart from his win) against Murray's one, and that Nadal has 4 masters finals against Andy's 0 (not including the one they won)

But yes, apart from that, only the slam win is keeping Murray under
Look at the race - http://live-tennis.eu/race

When Murray wins Shanghai, he'll only be around 2000 points behind Nadal in it. That equals 1 slams.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
When he starts having proper draws in events then he can maybe justify his points haul

I mean Bye, Walkover Ebden and Nishikori all in the same Masters event :lol::lol:
Yes, but at the 500 last week he had Baghdatis first round, Nalbandian, Ferrer and Nadal- a pretty tough draw for a 500, so I think it balances out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Correct, Its a matter of time before Murray gets this break threw slam, then he will have the momentum. If he beats nadal at a GS then he gets the points off nadal and it will be a hammer blow to nadals confidence, he'll go back to competing with federer, but not for no.1, for no 3... Once murray ousts nadal from no.2 it will be good times ahead for him, this is on the brink of happening, should be a good 2012 for murray.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts