Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy Murray feels he can build on Olympic glory and secure his first Grand Slam title at the upcoming US Open.

The British number one seems to be getting closer and closer to winning his first ever Slam, reaching three finals in the last three years.

Having been to the Wimbledon showpiece for the first time this summer but losing, Murray gained quick revenge on his SW19 conqueror.

The Scot defeated Roger Federer for the first time in a five-set match to secure Olympic gold and that victory looks to have given him extra confidence.

Murray, a favourite of the sport betting community, will now prepare for the final Grand Slam event and hopes are high that he can break his duck at Flushing Meadows.

The world number four thinks his Olympic success could be the catalyst for further success and is in upbeat mood heading to New York.

The 25-year-old told news sport networks: "I hope this will give me the confidence to go there and believe in myself a bit more than I have in the past. Hopefully I can have a good run and give myself a shot at winning (the US Open)."

Murray's best performance at Flushing Meadows came back in 2008 when he beat Rafael Nadal en route to the final, before losing in straight sets to Federer.

The Scot then suffered fourth and third round exits respectively in 2009 and 2010, before a much better showing last year.

Murray made the last four in 2011, before losing to Rafael Nadal in the semis and a repeat of that effort will the minimum expected from the Olympic champion.

Many have felt that the US Open has provided Murray with his best chance of winning one of the big-four tournaments, but the man himself has revealed that he has previously lacked belief that he could win the US Open.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts