Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andy Murray’s preparations for the upcoming French Open have been severely affected by a troublesome back injury.

With the second live tennis Grand Slam of the year soon upon him, Murray has admitted the injury has been causing him problems for much of the year.

The problem was evident throughout the Scot’s third round defeat to Richard Gasquet at last week’s Italian Open. The world number four failed to clinch victory despite clinching the first set, with his French opponent battling back to secure his place in the next round.

Murray, who was forced to withdraw from the Madrid Masters in early May, looked way off the pace in Rome and will now have to ensure he can shake off the problem before heading to Roland Garros – with punters who place online bets keen to keep a close eye on the situation.

The 25-year old admitted he is confident the injury won’t keep him out of the French Open, however, did concede the problem wasn’t one that he had just picked up and was a concern at this point of the season.

“I've felt it for some months, but I haven't had a chance to take a pause," admitted Murray.

“I've tried not to make it any worse, but the muscles get tired from compensating.”

“I've got a lot of big events coming and there's not that much time to rest any niggles. Hopefully when the French comes, the goal is to be in peak condition.”

Last year’s semi-final defeat to Rafael Nadal was Murray’s best finish at the clay-court Grand Slam. It may not be the British number-one’s favourite surface, however, the Scot will believe he has a chance of another appearance in the semis if he can head to Paris fully fit.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts