Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Damn I feel awful for him, the last few years have just been terrible for him. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious.

·
Registered
22,152 Posts
His time might be up soon. Still admirable the effort he is putting in to extend his career but I wonder if the pain is really worth it, he already has achieved all he needed to in tennis.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow, that's rather pathetic... I feel bad for him.
It is really ironic he's out right after winning Best Comeback award, as others above have mentioned.
Can he really come back in February even?

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
This is the new normal for Andy unless he can change his style to be more aggressive and probably needs to lose some weight to take strain off his lower body.
This is correct.

Even when Murray came back he was still slogging away for three hours in a three set match....

If he can come back he will have to adapt serve and volley and do half volleys from the baseline and be way more aggressive.

The problem is I don't think he can do that.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I really hate to hear of yet another injury. I'm afraid Andy has pushed his body about as far as he can.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Maybe he can win the Comeback Player of the Year award again in 2020. No one has won it more than twice so he can then go for the record the year after. ?

Delpo might have a thing to say about it though given he's already sitting on 2 and coming back this year.

·
The special one
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was he ever in the Entry List?
Yeah he was in the EL. I don't think this is too serious, but I think he's made the correct decision here. I don't blame him for being cautious given the past injuries he's had. He's entered Montpellier and Rotterdam for Feb so it's probably a good idea to start back then rather than Bo5 anyway.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I feel bad for Murray.Yeah he showed great fighting spirit last year,but...Is it worth?After such a surgery it is very dangerous and imho it would be better for him to hang his racket instead of continue to destroy his body,idk

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
This sucks big time. Sucks for the sport, sucks for me but most of all, it sucks for The King himself.

·
The special one
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wrong.
Murray was never in the entry list for AO. He would need a WC to get in since he had already used PR for entry last year (can't use it at the same tournament twice) and didn't enter Q draw either.
He said in his presser that he was gutted not to be playing, so obviously he was planning on playing.

Also as a 5 time finalist and former world no1 I dont think receiving a WC would've been an issue.

·
Registered
811 Posts
He said in his presser that he was gutted not to be playing, so obviously he was planning on playing.

Also as a 5 time finalist and former world no1 I dont think receiving a WC would've been an issue.
I never said WC would have been an issue. I reacted specifically to your assertion he was in the entry list -- he wasn't. Technically, he never entered the 2020 Australian Open in any capacity so, formally, we can't even say he has withdrawn.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts