Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Robredo and Haas are out of their respective tournaments this week and James Blake, Richard Gasquet and Tomas Berdych needing to make at least the QF stage to accumulate aymore Race points it now looks increasingly likely that Murray will qualify 8th for Shanghai.

Murray's 5th best is only 5 points so by winning St.Petersberg (considering his draw and recent Madrid form will be more than likely) his Race points will go up to 329. Fortunately he should be seeded in Paris and if he makes a good run there, while other faulter early, he could very well be heading over to Shanghai after Paris.

BTW, Has any player ever qualified for the T.M.C. despite missing two Grand Slams?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
H.Petersberg To Be #8 In Race

My dream:

Gonzalez magically loses to Haehnel in Basel and very early in Paris (pushing it).
Blake loses to karlovic in Basel, early in Paris (not pushing it)
Berdych loses to Lopez in Basel, early in Paris (not pushing it)
Ljubicic loses to Querrey in Lyon, early in Paris (maybe pushing it)
Robredo/Haas lose early in Paris (not pushing it too bad)
Gasquet wins Lyon, Murray wins St. Petersburg (not pushing it too bad)
Gasquet reaches Semis in Paris, Murray reaches Final (pushing it)

Gasquet and Murray qualify!

Overall, really really pushing it.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Lets hope he does it... Tursunov, Youz or Ancic and then his good friend Davydenko in the final, might be the big games he has to pass.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Jaffas85 said:
BTW, Has any player ever qualified for the T.M.C. despite missing two Grand Slams?
Sure, Sampy in 99 missed AO and US open... and lost in 2nR of RG as well :lol:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
So who do we need to lose this week?

This is a complete guess so don't take my word for it:
Chela, Canas have many points to gain but won't do well in Paris. Chela won't pass QFs in Basel.
Ljubicic and Moya sometime before semi-finals or finals
Berdych before semi-finals
Gasquet before semi-finals
Youzhny before semi-finals
Blake before finals

All theoretically possible and quite likely to happen, but not only will Murray need to win St. Petersburg, he will have to outperform all of the contenders in Paris.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Yeah Cmon Aussie, #3rd.

he bt. Agassi in the final 6-1 7-5 6-4 having lost to him 2-6 2-6 a few days earlier in a round robin match :lol:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Now that Robredo and Haas are out of their respective tournaments this week and James Blake, Richard Gasquet and Tomas Berdych needing to make at least the QF stage to accumulate aymore Race points it now looks increasingly likely that Murray will qualify 8th for Shanghai.

Murray's 5th best is only 5 points so by winning St.Petersberg (considering his draw and recent Madrid form will be more than likely) his Race points will go up to 329. Fortunately he should be seeded in Paris and if he makes a good run there, while other faulter early, he could very well be heading over to Shanghai after Paris.

Thanks.

BTW, i think you`ve done your maths incorrectly;)

if Murray wins St.Petersberg [worth 35pts] he`ll have 316 race points, making him equal 13th!!
Basically Murray needs to win this week & make the final of Paris AMS to qualify for TMC;)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
i would rather have two of murray, gasquet and berdman in the tmc than boredo, gonzalez etc.

but its only time. they will all probably be there next year.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Yeah Cmon Aussie, #3rd.

he bt. Agassi in the final 6-1 7-5 6-4 having lost to him 2-6 2-6 a few days earlier in a round robin match :lol:
Andre was so confident before that final, he said that (paraphrasing to the best of my memory) " he wouldn't feel like No. 1 if he did not win the TMC" :D

So Pete helped him to not feel like No. 1 :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
BTW, i think you`ve done your maths incorrectly;)

if Murray wins St.Petersberg [worth 35pts] he`ll have 316 race points, making him equal 13th!!
Basically Murray needs to win this week & make the final of Paris AMS to qualify for TMC;)
Urrr, hello?

St Pete is a 50 point event, not 35.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The 1999 ATP World Championships final was so funny. I think that in his frustration, Agassi aimed a bodyslam shot at Pete in the 3rd set, and after the match, he was so pissed off at losing so comprehensively, that he refused to take the microphone and address the crowd.
Agassi still deserved to finish as the year end no. 1 in 1999 of course, but there was no way that Kafelnikov (who finished the year ranked at no. 2) was better than Sampras that year. Sampras actually played much better tennis in 1999, than he did in 1998 when he finished as the year end no. 1.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, I realised that should Andy Murray win St.Petersberg then his Race total will actually be 326 because his win in St.Petersberg would replace his "best 5" from Moscow of 5 points. So winning St.Petersberg will add 45 points to his current total resulting in 326 points altogether thus he would end up in the 11th position.

Fortunately, he would still stand a credible chance of qualifying if that occured as the race positions #8 - #11 would look like this (depending on Gasquet losing before QF in Lyon) should Murray win St.Petersberg:

#8 Haas : 329
#9 Robredo: 328
#10 Blake: 327
#11 Murray: 326

Therefore, Murray would go into the Paris Masters having to advance further than Haas, Robredo and Blake in order to qualify 8th.

I think its possible, especially since he will be seeded, and considering his form in Madrid I think the Top 8 in Shanghai would look better with him in it.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
oops i was wrong;)
when did St.Pete become a 50pt event:confused:
pretty sure it always used to be 35pts.
its definitely been 50 pts for at least the last 4 or 5 years that i remember, maybe even longer

·
Registered
762 Posts
Re: H.Petersberg To Be #8 In Race

My dream:

Gonzalez magically loses to Haehnel in Basel and very early in Paris (pushing it).
Blake loses to karlovic in Basel, early in Paris (not pushing it)
Berdych loses to Lopez in Basel, early in Paris (not pushing it)
Ljubicic loses to Querrey in Lyon, early in Paris (maybe pushing it)
Robredo/Haas lose early in Paris (not pushing it too bad)
Gasquet wins Lyon, Murray wins St. Petersburg (not pushing it too bad)
Gasquet reaches Semis in Paris, Murray reaches Final (pushing it)

Gasquet and Murray qualify!

Overall, really really pushing it.
That would be great. Come on Gasquet and Murray, I want to see both of you in Shanghai. And if possible, Berdych too.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

That would be great. Come on Gasquet and Murray, I want to see both of you in Shanghai. And if possible, Berdych too.
Wait, ok, so after St. Petersburg if Murray wins he'd have 326. If Gasquet wins Lyon he'd have 356 points.

Here's the tricky part. Gonzalez has 0 points for one of his 5. That means he definitely has to lose first round in Basel. The problem is he basically has a free ride until the final. I mean, who's he up against? Canas...Baghdatis?

Outside of Berdych, everyone has to get to the finals of his respective tournament for any points, so there's a good shot no one will, especially considering the fact that Berdych is playing Lopez first round.

At that point, Gasquet would be a clear #8, and everyone else would be very near each other.

So it'll come down to Paris. If Gasquet gets to the semis he'd have 401. Boom, he's in. If Murray makes the final, he'd have 396.

So as long as Gonzalez doesn't get past the quarters, they'd both qualify. But it's important that he does very poorly at Basel, which doesn't seem likely considering his draw.

Not impossible, but definitely not likely.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

Wait, ok, so after St. Petersburg if Murray wins he'd have 326. If Gasquet wins Lyon he'd have 356 points.

Here's the tricky part. Gonzalez has 0 points for one of his 5. That means he definitely has to lose first round in Basel. The problem is he basically has a free ride until the final. I mean, who's he up against? Canas...Baghdatis?

Outside of Berdych, everyone has to get to the finals of his respective tournament for any points, so there's a good shot no one will, especially considering the fact that Berdych is playing Lopez first round.

At that point, Gasquet would be a clear #8, and everyone else would be very near each other.

So it'll come down to Paris. If Gasquet gets to the semis he'd have 401. Boom, he's in. If Murray makes the final, he'd have 396.

So as long as Gonzalez doesn't get past the quarters, they'd both qualify. But it's important that he does very poorly at Basel, which doesn't seem likely considering his draw.

Not impossible, but definitely not likely.
Which is why we pray for a miracle breakdown, very likely of Gonzo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts