Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is he done?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
It is now getting very worrying I must admit. Not many sportsmen return to their best after back surgery :sad:

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Congratulations to Del Potro for moving up a spot, what a fighter!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
He's had a terrible year 0 finals bombing down the rankings Murray fans thinking he could be a world number 1 . Ha ha . Have to write 2014 off now I think .

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Murray has very little points to defend between now and the end of the season, so I expect to see him jump back up into the top 5, provided he has a half-decent HC swing. As for being a GS contender again : to begin with, I thought it was the back surgery and the recuperation, but this was supposedly the first tournament back where he's been fully fit, and I'm beginning to wonder whether he's lost the hunger and desire to grind out tough moments in a match like he used to before he won Wimbledon 2013. After all, he has just accomplished a huge career-goal.

Dimitrov, on the other hand, wasn't spectacular today, but he was solid, and didn't make silly errors for the most part to allow Murray back in. A firing Murray would have beaten Dimitrov today. He's extremely talented though and I expect him to rattle off a few GS's over the next few years.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Whenever he has shown some promise (half decent performance in Miami, reaching RG SF, cruising through 4 matches at Wimbledon) he follows it up with something awful. He should have been straight setted (one fed tb choke) in the last 4 slams. Hard to disagree that he's done at the top level I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Murray needs to stop thinking he can mug around in Masters Series then just turn up at Slams and go deep (that's been his M.O since 2012)

Start playing with the same intensity every week.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It usually takes many months to become "match fit" after a long layoff.

What would be unusual, would be for Murray to come back after a serious injury, then make 9 of 11 finals, and win 2 of the next 3 slams, and dominate on his worst surface. ;)

·
Administrator
6,072 Posts
When Murray still seemed so poor early in the year I thought that in terms of expectations we should be basically writing off this season - hope to see him getting back into matches, flying under the radar somewhat, maybe trying to stay afloat in the top 10 - and be hopeful that he can rise up for 2015.

After RG I thought maybe he could use Wimbledon to right himself again and get back to being a top player for the rest of the year, but while a QF loss to Dimitrov is not that bad, the manner of his loss was. So I think it's back to my previous assessment - 2014 a poor / recovery season (and it's decent in that regard since he could potentially still make all GS QFs), to hopefully get him back physically recovered, used to playing matches and motivated for the 2015 season.

Of course there's no guarantee he will do any better next year - for all we know this could be his last "good" season before he goes to being just a "potentially dangerous" early opponent for the current top players.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say he is done just because he falls out of the top 10, as you never know what can happen in this age - Wawrinka at 29 suddenly going from top 20 to winning a slam and a masters, Ferrer in his 30s making 10 slam QFs. And if Murray does fall way down the rankings, who will the new top players be? Dimitrov? Raonic? Wawrinka? We know they can do well but can they consistently keep other players from breaking through the way Federer / Nadal / Djokovic managed for so many years? Will they be able to stop someone like a 29 year old Murray making a resurgence at Wimbledon 2016 when they are the hunted and Murray is the hunter?

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
I don't know if he'll win another slam but he'll probably stick around in the top 10 for some time. Should win another Masters title at some point.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts