Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy Murray believes that his new coach, the eight-time Grand Slam winner, Ivan Lendl, has already made some headway in his quest to improve the Scot's game. "I spent five days with him before the Australian Open", the British number one explained. "I feel like I improved just in those days."

Murray is currently nursing several injuries, and is expected to miss Great Britain's Davis Cup match with Slovakia at the weekend. However, with his recent comments about Lendl, it appears that the 24-year-old's mind is still on the court even if his body is lounging on the furniture. Fans of online in-play betting odds need to remember this.

"I'll go and spend a lot more time with him and work harder, and that's really all that you can do", Murray said. The three-time Grand Slam finalist is no doubt hoping that Lendl can help him overcome the almost insurmountable obstacles posed by Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, and Novak Djokovic.

Murray, notably, began 2012 will a loss to Djokovic at the Australian Open. The two tennis players battled over a place in the final for almost five hours, in what the Serb would later describe as "one of the best matches I've played".

Murray ultimately became the first man in recent history to lose four Grand Slam semi-finals in a row.

Returning to the Scot's new coach; Lendl, 51, is a former world number one. The Czech won the Australian Open on two occasions, in 1989 and 1990, and the French Open in 1984, '86 and '87. He also claimed the US Open title three times consecutively between 1985-87. Wimbledon remains the only Grand Slam that does not adorn Lendl's mantelpiece.

"Ivan's impact on the game is unquestionable", Murray said, after hiring the coach, back in December.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts